• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Other uses for positive and negative energy?

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Hi all!

In the turning description in the PHB, there's a tantalising subsection saying there (could be) many alternative uses for this energy. We now have Divine feats, and Divine metamagic, both creative ideas.

What other purposes have you used positive and negative energy for in your D&D game? Do they always require feats, or is it more like the doorway example?

Just curious! :)

Sound of Azure said:
Hi all!

In the turning description in the PHB, there's a tantalising subsection saying there (could be) many alternative uses for this energy. We now have Divine feats, and Divine metamagic, both creative ideas.

What other purposes have you used positive and negative energy for in your D&D game? Do they always require feats, or is it more like the doorway example?

Just curious! :)

Hi Sound of Azure.

Totally off topic but did you get my e-mail reply? I have spoken to my player that is running a game on Saturdays and gave him your address. Has he e-mailed you about it yet?

Olaf the Stout

Gideon

First Post
I also really like alternate uses for energy channeling. Some of the ways I have used channeling are listed below.

- to expose writing on a scroll
- to activate a magic weapon
- as proof that the character’s are noble
- to open doors. Each door required a turning check. To get to the important stuff you needed higher turning checks
- to control golems created by the temple

Sejs

First Post
To place or release divine seals placed on things.

To fuel divine widgets - say there's a blessed font that if you channel positive energy into it, the water drawn fouth is holy water.

Do things appropriate to your diety. To steal an example from right here on EnWorld, you worship a god known as the wallbuilder - channel energy and you make some bricks.

heirodule

First Post
IN SHE4-05 Advanced Dweomercraft, i allow turning checks to close a spherical portal to the negative energy plane. Theres some 'feedback' on failed checks though.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Olaf the Stout said:
Hi Sound of Azure.

Totally off topic but did you get my e-mail reply? I have spoken to my player that is running a game on Saturdays and gave him your address. Has he e-mailed you about it yet?

Olaf the Stout

Aye, I finally sent off my reply (I hadn't checked my e-mail over the weekend).
Sorry I didn't reply to yours! :eek:

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Gideon said:
I also really like alternate uses for energy channeling. Some of the ways I have used channeling are listed below.

- to expose writing on a scroll
- to activate a magic weapon
- as proof that the character’s are noble
- to open doors. Each door required a turning check. To get to the important stuff you needed higher turning checks
- to control golems created by the temple

Whoa, those are som great ideas! :D

Sejs said:
To place or release divine seals placed on things.

To fuel divine widgets - say there's a blessed font that if you channel positive energy into it, the water drawn fouth is holy water.

Do things appropriate to your diety. To steal an example from right here on EnWorld, you worship a god known as the wallbuilder - channel energy and you make some bricks.

Thanks very much for the pointers! It would be interesting to make a list of channeling options for each deity in my homebrew.

heirodule said:
IN SHE4-05 Advanced Dweomercraft, i allow turning checks to close a spherical portal to the negative energy plane. Theres some 'feedback' on failed checks though.

Interesting. I seem to recall seeing something similar in City of the Spider Queen, too. Very nice!

These have certainly got the ol' brain juices going now! :)

Notmousse

First Post
I've used it to grant extra uses of domain powers, or enhance the effects of constant domain powers.

A Pal/Clr used his turn checks to empower smites, and look 'badass' in combat (prompting intimidation checks in battle).

Honestly 'turn' attempts should be renamed since it's really just a shot of nitro for the divine slaughter engine that is the cleric.

frankthedm

First Post
Opening Doors aligned with positive/negative energy with a turn/rebuke attempt of the same energy.

The same doors are blown away if by the opposite energy on a destroy/control result.

Minor portents based on Deity. Using a turn attempt to channel a divine breeze from an air deity in the hopes it will point you in the way to go.

Trying things outside the scope of the rules is usually best acomanied by a turn attempt. This way if the DM wanted it to happen, he can save face and legitimatly call it Divine fiat, rather than DM fiat.

Remove ads