• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Other Uses For Wish

Emongnome

First Post
Ack, wishes. Am I the only person that thinks that a Wish spell is a curse, not a blessing? Ok, that may be exaggerated, but my experiences with them rarely end in true good fortune. My previous DM was incredible when it came to adjudicating wishes. Example: Our party was at the end of an adventure, and had to leave the area before we were killed in a massive structural collape without normal means of escape. Ok, the whole thing was exiting the Prime Material Plane. Anyway, the five players (including me) got together and spent 10 minutes writing up the wish and going over it thoroughly to make sure we left nothing to chance. Our DM looked at it for 10 seconds and said it worked; we were out of the area a safe distance away.....without any equipment whatsoever! Granted, if the wish was somewhat innocous, there was never a problem, it was the special ones that he combed over thoroughly and always found a way to subvert, no matter how much effort the party put into it. This was 2E, so the exact boundaries for casting a wish were rather undefined. Just in case the question comes up, it was on a scroll, and nobody was high enough level for a mass teleport spell, though he kindly allowed us to bypass the normal % chance for failure for casting off a scroll above your abilities. Sorry, a little off topic, but this thread brought up some rather painful memories that I had to share.

Merior

First Post
Talking of uses of wish, may I ask pepole about a far simpler use of the spell than granting feats. What do you think about using wish to try and get an inherent bonus to skill checks? I can imagine a character saying "I wish that I was a better rider" just as easily as one saying "I wish I was more agile" for a bonus to Dexterity.

Cerubus Dark

First Post
FireLance said:
Hi all,

1. A wish can grant up to 5 bonus feats. As with inherent bonuses to ability scores, it takes one wish to obtain the first feat, two consecutive wishes to get the second feat and so on.
Comments? Other suggestions?

As a DM I would say this would be sort of like getting a skill point. You can use one wish to get a free one but beyond that you would have to use two wishes for the second, three for the third and so on. Lucky for me I won't allow M-U's to have that spell in their books. Its one of those "I found a rare scroll of Wish!" type things.

I also recall a time when one of my groups had found a ring of three wishes (only had one use left) and the idiot rouge of the party took the ring and said allowed. "I wish the Dracoliche was here right now so we could fight him"

Well, needless to say he died a very bloody death. For some odd reason the groups Palidain knocked him out, and his god allowed such a "brave" sacrifice to be made.

Staffan

Legend
Emongnome said:
Ack, wishes. Am I the only person that thinks that a Wish spell is a curse, not a blessing?
IMC, the source of a Wish determines how dangerous it is to use. Casting the Wish spell yourself (or off a scroll, or something like that) is considered a "neutral" source - the Wish will be fulfilled (within its power limits) in the most efficient way. Wishing for a powerful magic weapon will probably teleport that weapon to you from somewhere else, for example.

On rare occasion, a powerful being might grant someone a Wish as a reward. In these cases, the wish will be fulfilled in a benevolent fashion, unless the wish is offensive to the benefactor.

Some people might think it's a good idea to trap a wish-granting entity and force it to grant a wish or several wishes. In these cases, the wisher had better make the wish totally airtight, because he *will* get screwed over as much as possible.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads