• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Otiluke's Freezing Sphere

Wanderer20

First Post
My PCs are about to fight a sea dragon from their ship, by casting the Otiluke's Freezing Sphere to trap him in the ice as soon as his head will emerge from the sea to claim the human sacrifice that ship's former owners would have given to the dragon if they were still alive.

Now my question is: what does "trapped in the ice" mean? Does it mean you cannot move, you cannot attack, ot both, or what? I know that lacking an official answer, it is up to the DM, but to avoid endless discussions, I ask you for ideas.

My opinion is that a Huge creature (such is that dragon) cannot be prevented to move with only a 6'' thick ice, furthermore any creature should get a saving throw to avoid being "trapped", whatever it means.

A Saving Throw does exist, but it's only to half the damage. I'd rule that a successful saving throw allows you to move underwater or to attack from your position without being hindered by the ice. Suggestions?

Infiniti2000

First Post
It would merely mean that you cannot move, as in cannot swim. The sea dragon could otherwise use special abilities or take the full round action to break free (and likely swim below the ice or to another location. Can the sea dragon make a DC 25 strength check? I'd say it's likely. There's no save vs. the entrapment. However, you could let the sea dragon attack the ice instead of breaking free. You'd need to determine the hardness (if any) and the hp of the ice, though.

Delemental

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
However, you could let the sea dragon attack the ice instead of breaking free. You'd need to determine the hardness (if any) and the hp of the ice, though.

By the SRD, ice has Hardness 0 and 3 hp/inch.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads