ZEITGEIST Ottavia Sacredote on The Isle of Odiem (Spoilers, maybe).

Shimrath

Explorer
So, my constables have talked Ottavia out of a violent confrontation. What now?

Did anyone else have it go down in a similar fashion? If so, please point me to your campaign journal or summarize the events that followed on the island and beyond.

Also, how did Ottavia intend to leave the island after defeating the heroes?

Any help would be appreciated,
-Shimrath.

Ottavia expected to either die for the sake of a good man, or to hole up in the old lighthouse and hope the undead didn't get inside, then flag down one of the fishing boats in the Sid Minos harbor come morning.

If the party talks Ottavia down, you have the undead horde beat at the doors and seem unstoppable, and have Ashima-Shimtu speak into their minds, offering refuge -- and perhaps even a way to catch that which has eluded them -- if they enter the Crypta Hereticarum. If the party stays put, give them a damned hard battle against swarms of zombies, but leave a chance for survival; you don't want them to feel railroaded, just make entering the crypt the 'easy' answer and the one that feels most narratively compelling.

mdusty

Explorer
My group talked Octavia down and they insisted that she follow them into the crypt once the zombie hordes got to be too much. I really, really did not want an NPC following them around in the dungeon (I ran the full version in the appendix), because I know these players can be overly reliant on NPCs if they are around. So Octavia 'sacrificed herself' and kept the zombies busy long enough for the group to enter the crypt.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
In my campaign Ottavia formed a reluctant alliance with the PCs, got to know them very well and ended up being fairly well liked.

Unfortunately, when Ashima Shimtu helped them escape, they forgot to specifically include Ottavia in their Devil's Bargain, and she kept Ottavia behind as a toy to play with. They only realised that when they surfaced off the coast of Vendricce and Ottavia was nowhere to be found.

I think Ottavia is a great NPC to tag along with the party because they will begin to see the Ob in a better light.

Niztael

First Post
I found this post is talking about Ottavia the most, so I'm hoping this is the best place to pose my question. I'm using Spheres of Power and rebuilding most of the spellcasters but I can't find which mystery Ottavia has as an Oracle. Did she have a mystery, if not, I would appreciate suggestions?

Niztael

First Post
Thank you for the response, I was also looking for the pathfinder rules for the headband of roaming thoughts. The 4th edition version clearly does more than just grant telepathy.

Empirate

First Post
In my campaign, Ottavia actually killed one of the PCs, who came up with the questionable plan of scaling the tower's outside with the help of some buoyant balloons – she popped them with a Sound Burst once he was close to the top, and he was already low on HP...

Nevertheless, the other PCs captured Ottavia instead of killing her outright, and got her story out of her. They were finally convinced that she had no evil intentions and was just (extremely) misguided. She was duly horrified by Luc's using the lantern to lay the Nem trap (which not only got some PCs trapped in Nem, but also some innocents, which were rescued by the PCs in the nick of time), so she offered to trap the PCs on Odiem: she had resolved to move him with a show of self-sacrificing love, hoping to trigger his better instincts, because she really believes Luc is, or has the potential to be, a great man. Didn't work, and she only survived her dual failure (not stopping the PCs, and not getting through Luc's sociopathic tendencies) because the PCs decided to show her mercy. She supported them in the Crypta Hereticarum (which I expanded upon quite a bit), and ended up given a new identity to live under in Risur.

The dead PC was revived by Ashuma Shimtu, btw. One day, his life debt will come due...

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
In my campaign, Ottavia actually killed one of the PCs, who came up with the questionable plan of scaling the tower's outside with the help of some buoyant balloons – she popped them with a Sound Burst once he was close to the top, and he was already low on HP...

I love it when players go all Scooby Doo in their approach to problems. It's even funnier when they end up dead as a result.

Remove ads