• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ouch!!

Bryon_Soulweaver

First Post
How much powerfuller would the sorcerer be if it got powers like a kinetic? Mostly I'm thinking on having energy spells be one of eight types: cold; fire; acid; sonic; electricity; positive; negative; force. I mean, they can conjure the elements and such, why not make them that way?

JimAde

First Post
Sorry, I don't understand the question. Is a kinetic a psionic class? I'm not that familiar with those. How would categorizing a sorcerer's spells affect his power? Do you mean, for example, if I decide to create an "electricity" sorcerer, then all his energy spells would do electricity damage? This is a class ability of the Elemental Savant prestige class from Complete Arcane (one of which I'm playing at the moment).

So, no sarcastic jokes until I understand better. :)

Bryon_Soulweaver

First Post
Yes, a kinetic is a psion class. It can turn meteor swarm (fire) and make it cold, acid, sonic, electricity, positive, negative or force. It can also make fireball or cone of cold do the same thing.

JimAde

First Post
So one character can choose for his "spells" to do ANY kind of energy damage?

Very powerful. Using WotC rules that would take something like 8 feats (Energy Substitution 7 times, plus the prerequisite) and the spell takes up a higher slot (1 level higher, I think). If the character can choose just ONE of those energy types, then that is more like the Energy Substitution feat and I think giving that feat to sorcerers for free would be a nice boost, but not crazy.

The Elemental Savant PrC has all energy spells converted to the character's chosen energy type automatically (without raising the spell level) but can't choose to do the original type. So my character Martan (in my sig) has all his energy spells do electrical damage, but can't choose to, for example, cast a regular Scorching Ray that does fire damage.

Mirage_Patrick

First Post
JimAde said:
So one character can choose for his "spells" to do ANY kind of energy damage?

Very powerful. Using WotC rules that would take something like 8 feats (Energy Substitution 7 times, plus the prerequisite) and the spell takes up a higher slot (1 level higher, I think). If the character can choose just ONE of those energy types, then that is more like the Energy Substitution feat and I think giving that feat to sorcerers for free would be a nice boost, but not crazy.

The Elemental Savant PrC has all energy spells converted to the character's chosen energy type automatically (without raising the spell level) but can't choose to do the original type. So my character Martan (in my sig) has all his energy spells do electrical damage, but can't choose to, for example, cast a regular Scorching Ray that does fire damage.

unless it changed in 3.5, the energy substitution did not change the spell level

JimAde

First Post
I could be mistaken, I don't have the book here. Regardless, you'd need a slew of feats to have complete freedom of energy types. But if Byron means the character would choose one energy type at 1st sorcerer level to do this, I think it's not too bad. Sorcerers need some kind of boost. :)

But it won't keep people from jumping into a Prestige Class at the first opportunity.

Goolpsy

First Post
This is way too powerful, but if you wanted something for the sorc, then make a feat for level 10 or 15... that made him able to choose between cold, fire and electricity...

those are the things most beings have resistances against... a type such as force works on nearly everything. Posetive works on anything evil, vice versa with Negative..

that way, just limit it to the 3 elements and on a level higher than 10 and it would be balanced

IcyCool

First Post
Are you basically wanting to give sorcerer's the Archmage's Mastery of the Elements ability? (Archmage is a prestige class in the DMG)

If so, take a look at the prerequisites for Archmage. So how a sorcerer can't get into it until level 14 or 15? That right there says to me that granting this ability to a sorcerer at first level would be a mistake. I could maybe see adding it as a feat at the end of a feat chain with the additional prerequisite of "able to spontaneously cast spells of at least 7th level or higher."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads