Out of Character Discussion - On Site!

W

WizO_Reesa

Ever sit in the chat room and feel annoyed or bothered by someone? Ever want to just get things off your chest, or explain what's bothering you? Feel like communciation on site is going down hill? Well now is your chance to get the topics off your chest and to discuss them with your fellow role-players.

While reading a thread about problems on site, I noticed a comment about an Out of Character discussion with other chatters to help clear the air about things that are bothering them, discuss issues, and perhaps get things out in the open to help improve issues on the site. I brought this up to my Lead who said she thought it would be a fantastic idea. So, I'm going to hold one.

The question is, when would you like to have it? I will also provide a log after the meeting on a thread here on the boards, for anyone who can't make it. I am thinking that perhaps having a couple meetings might be good, so people in Europe and other countries that a later meeting might not work for them can also participate.

What are good days for you? On the thread this was first brought up, I suggested some possible dates and times:

Saturday August 9th up until 4pm eastern
Saturday August 16th from 4pm until whenever (minus 6-8 when I host)
Sunday August 17th all day (until 6pm when I host)
Saturday August 23rd all day (minus 6-8 when I host)
Sunday August 24th all day (until 6pm when I host)
Saturday August 30th from 2pm until whenever (minus 6-8 when I host)
Sunday August 31st all day (Until 6pm when I host)
(Times are in Eastern Time)

(Please note, one of the days listed I may need to go meet with the Pastor doing my wedding, but I'm not sure about the date at this current time)

Now, giving this a little more thought, I think perhaps having a seminar early on Saturday (Saturday morning for me) and then again on Saturday night might benefit the most people. But, I'll leave this to you guys. When do you think this would benefit the most people?

I have some things that must be done for my wedding, so some times or days I won't be available, but I will do my best to accomodate people.

We could also maybe hold one in the evening during the week, but it would have to be between 8pm and 10pm (eastern) due to the fact I wake at 5am every day and staying up late just doesn't work for me. Weekends will probably gain the most support.

So, please answer these small questions:

1) What date would you like the OOC Meeting?
2) What time would you like to have it?
3) Do you want something that uses protocol (Not talking until you're called on, using ! for comments, ? for questions and /ga to know you're done) or just have it open allowing anyone to talk? (This could make things confusing, so I'd like to opt for protocol myself but this is for you guys, so you tell me how you'd like to do it)

Once we get a date and time decided upon, we'll get the announcements out there to let people know about it.

Thanks!
Reesa

T

Thogroar

1) What date would you like the OOC Meeting? I think that any of those dates work for me
2) What time would you like to have it? In the afternoon or evening. preferable the afternoon
3) Do you want something that uses protocol? Protocol

L

Ladyshade

1)What date would you like the OOC Meeting?

Any works

2)What time would you like to have it? In the afternoon or evening.

Probably the afternoon

3)Do you want something that uses protocol?

Yes

Nugan

First Post
Well, let's see:

1) What date would you like the OOC Meeting?

I can attend any of the days listed, besides August 9th (some of you know the reason for this). If you want a preference, I'll say August 16th, because it would be easier to attend before my next semester of college starts.

2) What time would you like to have it?

Any time from 2 PM Eastern onward should be good for me (assuming that its a Saturday).

3) Do you want something that uses protocol (Not talking until you're called on, using ! for comments, ? for questions and /ga to know you're done) or just have it open allowing anyone to talk? (This could make things confusing, so I'd like to opt for protocol myself but this is for you guys, so you tell me how you'd like to do it)

I'll say 'yes' to protocol. Not only because of the cofusion that there could be without it, but also because, considering the topic, it could escalate into a "shouting match" without it.

F

Fenmarel

Anytime or day is good for me. Definately protocol should be used or it will be pure chaos with nothing actually being accomplished.

Jason

Kathryn_aka_Kat

First Post
For dates, I can't make it on Saturday, Aug. 16th at all.

For time of day, the afternoon is better than morning. Early afternoon is fine as long as it's a weekend.

For protocol, I agree with Fen, heh.

W

WizO_Reesa

I'm really glad to see the responses I am getting for this! :) I agree Fen, without Protocol it should be crazy at best. I'll definitely use protocol then. :)

I'm thinking that if we do the meeting around 2pm eastern (11am pst) that should be good for most people to attend. I will set a date for it tonight after I've checked my calendar at home to see how my schedule is. :)

Anything you think we should specifically bring up, or should it be just an open forum, asking people to simply speak their minds?

Reesa

T

Tharivious_Meliamne

I'm glad to see that this has been given the go-ahead. I've been thinking back over the conversation I mentioned having with another player a while back, and I'm glad I mentioned it when I did. Now for the questions here:

As for date: Any day of the week works for me, just as long as I know in advance so that I don't forget it.

As for time: I think running two seminars would be a great idea, if possible. One at around 9 am EST and one at around 4-6 pm EST should work well. That way, those who live in Europe and those in the US/Canada who sleep odd hours ( Like myself ) would be able to catch at least one of them, if not both. But having one at 2 pm EST works as well, with the advance notice people should be able to adjust for an all-day shift online if they wish to attend.

As for protocol vs. no protocol: Protocol, absolutely. Without it, it will likely turn into a full blown shouting match in many cases, and that won't help matters. The last thing we need is this discussion turning into a live-time flame war.

As for topics: As I mentioned on the other thread, I've discussed this with another player before, and this is something where we got stuck on as well. As much as I hate to bring up this subject, it might be a good idea to look over past rants on the boards for some topics. They may have already been discussed, but it might be a good idea to bring those discussions public into the community rather than on the boards where not everyone goes.
I think having an open forum afterwards would be good, letting those who haven't ranted get their pet peeves out as well. Combining the two should work out well.

Hope that helps.

~ Tharivious Meliamne's player

W

WizO_Reesa

As for topics: As I mentioned on the other thread, I've discussed this with another player before, and this is something where we got stuck on as well. As much as I hate to bring up this subject, it might be a good idea to look over past rants on the boards for some topics. They may have already been discussed, but it might be a good idea to bring those discussions public into the community rather than on the boards where not everyone goes.
I think having an open forum afterwards would be good, letting those who haven't ranted get their pet peeves out as well. Combining the two should work out well.

Hope that helps.

~ Tharivious Meliamne's player

That's a great idea Thar! I'll make sure to go over old rants, thoughts, etc on the boards and get some kind of plan going, then we can start there and move forward on new issues, comments etc.

If this works out nicely, perhaps we could make this a reoccuring forum to allow people to get their problems or issues off their chest.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Reesa

Remove ads