Out Of Combat Action Surge Uses

While I agree there are plenty of uses for AS out of combat, I tend to agree with Dausuul on this one. Why? Because saving throws typically don't happen on your turn, which AS requires. Skill checks? Sure, use AS to get a reroll. ST? Nope. You can't use AS to get a reroll in combat for a failed save, so why would you out of combat?

Of course, there is no judgement there about those who do want it that way.

Understood. I would say outside of combat it's really no-one's "turn" unless when crossing a bridge you make the players roll initiative. But I get your point of "don't get reroll in combat, so no reroll outside of combat." I'd still allow it outside of combat for situations like I described, but totally understand your legitimate reasoning.

Ashrym

Legend
Action surge allows a save roll for effects that require spending an action to make a saving throw; the entangle spell, for example. That's not out of combat (unless it's created with glyph of warding, for example) but it's the first example that comes to mind and dies demonstrate the potential exists. Spending an action to make a save for such listed effects would count in or out of combat. Indomitable applies to saves regardless.

Taking an extra action to repeat a failed action and therfore reverse the failure is an obvious use of action surge in or out of combat. So is the movement burst. Neither is guaranteed to matter but it's nice when it does, and happens more often when actively looking for those opportunities.

Cunning action was mentioned earlier. Cunning action is amazing, but it's also specifically applied to combat. Action surge applies to more actions and does not take place only in combat. Cunning action also uses the bonus action while action surge creates an action in addition to the bonus action.

The fact cunning action clearly states it's a bonus action on the rogue's turn in combat means it's obvious action surge would be the better out of combat ability.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Funny enough, in the Endless Quest book that just came out for the Fighter, there's an example of using action surge out of combat in it. Specifically to avoid a cave in collapse.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Action surge allows a save roll for effects that require spending an action to make a saving throw; the entangle spell, for example. That's not out of combat (unless it's created with glyph of warding, for example) but it's the first example that comes to mind and dies demonstrate the potential exists. Spending an action to make a save for such listed effects would count in or out of combat. Indomitable applies to saves regardless.

Taking an extra action to repeat a failed action and therfore reverse the failure is an obvious use of action surge in or out of combat. So is the movement burst. Neither is guaranteed to matter but it's nice when it does, and happens more often when actively looking for those opportunities.

Cunning action was mentioned earlier. Cunning action is amazing, but it's also specifically applied to combat. Action surge applies to more actions and does not take place only in combat. Cunning action also uses the bonus action while action surge creates an action in addition to the bonus action.

The fact cunning action clearly states it's a bonus action on the rogue's turn in combat means it's obvious action surge would be the better out of combat ability.

Okay.

Remove ads