• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Out of the Abyss D&D Encounters/D&D Adventurers League edition has been released

delericho

Legend
But no equivalent of the "Elemental Evil Player's Companion"? I'm somewhat surprised by that - I thought it was a really good idea, and thought WotC would continue with it.

pukunui

Legend
But no equivalent of the "Elemental Evil Player's Companion"? I'm somewhat surprised by that - I thought it was a really good idea, and thought WotC would continue with it.
They are. It's called the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. (It's a campaign setting, a splatbook, and a companion to Sword Coast Legends and the Rage of Demons all in one!)

delericho

Legend
They are. It's called the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. (It's a campaign setting, a splatbook, and a companion to Sword Coast Legends and the Rage of Demons all in one!)

You may be right. It seems a bit too late to fill the same role, though - the key thing being that the EEPC was made available before the stroyline started so that everyone could get their characters made early.

It does look like a good product, though.

pukunui

Legend
You may be right. It seems a bit too late to fill the same role, though - the key thing being that the EEPC was made available before the stroyline started so that everyone could get their characters made early.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind here:

1) WotC has said all along that they're trying different things in terms of content delivery, so we shouldn't expect the same deal every time. Note that we didn't get any player companion for the Tyranny of Dragons storyline.

2) We have reason to believe that WotC was working on a hardcover player's book for the Elemental Evil storyline. The free EEPC pdf contains the material from that book that was deemed good enough to release.

So if anything, the EEPC should be viewed as an anomaly, rather than a sign of things to come.

EDIT: From the SC Adventurer's Guide announcement:

"Compatible with Rage of Demons storyline: Make characters for use with the Out of the Abyss adventure and fight back the influence of the demon lords in the Underdark below the Sword Coast."

I do enjoy the mini game of guess the webpage password. Not hugely challenging but fun! I have no idea who legally gets the password but WotC are obviously pretty happy with everyone having access to these PDFs with the passwords they use - as someone who has an IT background they pretty much break every security rule except length :lol:

Mirtek

Hero
Note that AL admins have made it clear that the SCAG will not be allowed in season 3. It will be allowed in season 4 at earliest

So all the RoD-compatibility only helps in home games, but won't come into play in either Encounters or Expeditions (or while playing OotA while wanting to be AL legal)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I do enjoy the mini game of guess the webpage password. Not hugely challenging but fun! I have no idea who legally gets the password but WotC are obviously pretty happy with everyone having access to these PDFs with the passwords they use - as someone who has an IT background they pretty much break every security rule except length :lol:

I'm actually one of the people who legally gets the password. Just saying. ;)

Remathilis

Legend

The EEPC was basically the remnants of the Adventurer's Handbook (all the PC stuff from PotA + three extra races). Since they were working on the SCAG, I wager they put all their effort into that rather than siphon off stuff for another free PDF. In essence, I think the EEPC was a "tide us over" until they could get the SCAG done, and it didn't get finished for Rage of Demons.

Remove ads