• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Out of the dice bag? (secrecy and D&D)

Micar Sin

First Post
If people ask, I just say I'm gaming. They usually ask further, since my weekly game is on Sunday and I live in a fairly religious state. If they do ask, I simply say we play roleplaying games. If they persist i'll get into specifics, but thats rare. I haven't received any flak about it in years, not since High School in fact....

Bloodsparrow

First Post
While I don't go out of my way to advertise that I'm a gamer (other then the polyhedronal dice in my Beta Fish's bowl and a few "Misk U Go Pods!" t-shirts.) I don't go to great lengths to hide it.

I used to, but that was when I LARPed... :D (I usually described it as, "You know those 'host a murder mystery party kits? Well that's what I'm doing, only it's an ongoing story, so we have a party every couple of weeks.)

Right now, I'm in a VERY gaming friendly environment, both at work and at home, so it's not a huge deal for me.

Cedric

First Post
To most people I would say, "Oh...unfortunately, I'm not available on Saturday night's, I have prior obligations."

To friends, family and the like I would say, "Duh, that's gaming night!!"

Cedric

AeroDm

First Post
It varies a great deal with me. For those who know me well they know that I have a weekly game. For those who don't know me well, I usually say I am busy that day. it is rare for people to persist as that seems a little rude. However, on the instances they do I tell them that I get together with my friends every tuesday, which is true because gaming generally takes up 4ish hours of a 12 hour "get-together" if it takes up any at all. We play a lot of poker, eat, hang out, video games, et al.

Wombat

First Post
Having talked down a couple golfers and poker fans as to why my games are no more "childish" or "immature" than their own, I tell people it is my gaming night.

If they want more explanation, I tell them, but few ask ;)

At my age, I figure why hide it? :D

JayOmega

First Post
Djeta Thernadier said:
I won't reschedule or skip a game unless it's an emergency or something like a wedding, (...)

OK, I need to quit reading so fast. I mentally left out a word, and read that as "an emergency, something like a wedding," and thought "man, that's some fast-paced crowd you hang out with." Djeta, I'm getting married at 8:00! Hurry over! :D

Anyway, I'm an arch-geek. 29-year-old single male, electrical engineer, designs microchips for a living. Got the typical geeky "I'm me, I'm not changing, and anyone who judges me based on something as silly as D&D playing isn't expressing an opinion I care very much about" attitude, and the typical geeky small-group-of-close-friends, most of whom game currently, have gamed in the past, or just don't see it as a "negative" thing. That was an unrealistically long sentence. Most of my co-workers, management included, either gamed or knew someone who gamed, even though I'm the only current gamer in the 11-person group I work with. My family knows I game, since I started when I lived at home.

So, anyone who really matters in my life can deal with my hobbies, and anyone who doesn't is probably saying more about themselves than they are about me if they decide to think less of me over a harmless hobby.

So, to make a short story long, I'd answer "I'm playing D&D."

SpringPlum

First Post
Due to extreming varying schedules, our group decided that friday was game night and that we'd tell our employers that we couldn't work on friday nights. I've been trying to find a new part-time job and to prospective employers 'gaming night' is not a valid excuse. But luckily I'm still in college and when I tell them I'm not available on fridays, most assume that I have a night class. Luckily, all of my friends and family know I game and don't have issues with it.

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
Bloodsparrow said:
(I usually described it as, "You know those 'host a murder mystery party kits? Well that's what I'm doing, only it's an ongoing story, so we have a party every couple of weeks.)

Did you ever wonder why the "Host a murder party" things were considered more socially acceptable than RPGS?

Weird.I mean , it's like this :

Person asking : What are you doing this weekend?
Person playing : I'm playing D&D..you know, slaying evil monsters and saving villages from dragons and stuff...
Person Asking : You worship demons, don't you?

but then...

Person asking : Whatcha doing Friday?
Person playing : I'm going to invite 6 friends over and pretend to brutally off one of them, then have the rest of them figure out the crime
Person asking : oh neat...can I come?

:rolleyes: I don't get it.

*for the record...I think the Murder Party games are pretty neat-o. No offense to Murder Party players was intended.

:)

Have a lovely day.

Sheri

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads