Outline for an E6 campaign

Ry

Explorer
To show how Jibigi is rising to prominence, you could have her image painted over some previous hobgoblin image there. That could also show that she's steering them to even darker arts.

mfrench

First Post
Home Base

In terms of the Amusement Park theory (see the link in post #6), the PCs need a restaurant for the time between rides, a place where they can mostly rely on not getting hosed by secretly evil NPCs, etc. It also sets up Raven Crowking's suggestion #6 from the Depth in Worldbuilding thread, to make the commoners in your campaign people worth saving if danger ever befalls them. You could, of course, use one of the other towns as a base, but there is enough politics going on there that it isn't always same to trust people.

Oakhurst is a hamlet on the river road between Brindinford and Deepwatch, basically just a market, inn, tavern, stable, chapel, and manor house. A few low level NPCs with classes live there, and they are the ones terrorized by goblins in Within the Circle, outlined above. The stream that runs past the town into the river has been poisoned by goblins, who seek tribute. The local lord spends most of his time patrolling the outlying farms and the Tors, keeping bandits and dangerous animals in check. The squire runs things while the lord's away, and has sent to the Baron for help.

I don't plan on using it as a plot hook after that first time, although NPCs here might be good for dealing out info. It is also a good candidate for replacement PCs, if necessary. Travellers can also be introduced here.

mfrench

First Post
As an exercise in expostition, here are some plot hooks that can be distributed to the PCs before play begins:

Baron Camis Polrost is quietly having a succession battle against his brother’s daughter, Isabella. As she approaches the age of 16, some of the nobility are quietly gathering support for her to become the Baroness, and depose Camis as head of House Polrost.

Baron Camis Polrost has had a falling out with the local Bishop of Solaria, the Sun goddess. The Baron’s association with the top paladin, Sir Ciatrick, makes the church uncomfortable, as they feel he neglects his religious duties for political allegiances.

The Tors are a haven for bandits and worse. Rumor has it that they are filled with the treasures of a lost empire, but those desperate and foolish enough to seek a quick fortune rarely return with one!

House Polrost has a history of bad blood with the neighboring barony, House Adstone.

There is a wizard in Brindinford named Gwydian who collects and studies rare magical beasts. She pays well for dead creatures, and even better for rare living specimens. She also enjoys swapping tales of encounters with beasts, so that she can expand her knowledge.

mfrench

First Post
I also wanted to reiterate that people should feel free to ask for more information on anything I have left out so far (deities, etc.). If any of this grabs you, or you've seen it before and want to add suggestions, that would be appreciated as well.

mfrench

First Post
Rethinking Races

Keeping in mind the less talk, more play philosophy, I'm reluctant to throw out the standard races and introduce a half-dozen new ones, which have considerably more complicated mechanics. I've thought it over, and I'd like to keep the mechanics of the standard demihumans, but change the flavor (description, social aspects, lifespans, etc.).

Half-Orc -> called Brutes or Mules, these outcasts have monstrous blood in them
Dwarves -> a barbaric mountain race known as the Kor, they stalk the highlands
Halflings -> known as Ratlings, they are outcasts, rumored to be cursed
Elves -> with the faces and tails of a monkey, the Vanara live in trees; they have a tendancy toward great curiousity
Half-Elves -> called Changelings, related to fey, blend in with human society
Gnomes -> . . . I don't know, I might leave them as gnomes!

green slime

First Post
rycanada said:
I like how this setting doesn't say "Go here first, then go there, then go there" - it's nice and open for however the PCs want to approach it. Like an amusement park.

The problem being, of course, that it can get very confusing for the player. The DM sits with all the cards, knowing the motives and reasons for all the various NPC's and their nefarious plots.

Step back a moment, and remember that nonlinear adventures require far more effort to actually ensure that the PC's remain focused on whatever task they themselves have managed to get involved in. It can get further mired down if there players misremember various details, especially if the frequency of play isn't that high.

It places higher demand on both the DM (consistency of presentation, and preparation) and players (note taking, participation). But it is rewarding when you pull it all together. Not everyone's cup of tea, though.

mfrench

First Post
green slime said:
The problem being, of course, that it can get very confusing for the player. The DM sits with all the cards, knowing the motives and reasons for all the various NPC's and their nefarious plots.

Step back a moment, and remember that nonlinear adventures require far more effort to actually ensure that the PC's remain focused on whatever task they themselves have managed to get involved in. It can get further mired down if there players misremember various details, especially if the frequency of play isn't that high.

It places higher demand on both the DM (consistency of presentation, and preparation) and players (note taking, participation). But it is rewarding when you pull it all together. Not everyone's cup of tea, though.

These are all good points. A lot of the experience is shaped by the players, but I don't have a group for this yet (I'm moving in the next few days). The expectations of the players have to meet the setting somewhere in the middle.

I haven't put in all the links yet, but I have a handful of adventures up my sleeve that are not interconnected with the other plot threads. I guess I'm hoping that my group will take one of these conflicts are explore it, and the backups can be used when they just want a dungeon crawl, wilderness adventure, etc.

Also, I haven't put in the effort yet to prepare every one of these adventures. I've read some that I'd like to use, and I grabbed the major NPCs and organizations for introduction ahead of time so that they don't have to magically pop up for use as a plot device, then crawl back into the woodwork. Once the PCs start to show interest in people or places, I can prep them a few sessions in advance. At least, that's the plan.

Ry

Explorer
green slime said:

Yes; it's a matter of horses and mid-stream. Each ride is a ride, you don't need to interrupt it, although the players can jump off if they really, really want to. But when you get off the ride you'll get coupons for other rides and restaurants - in fact, an employee may even get sent along from another spot to help you find a ride that's waiting for you.

Remove ads