• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Outsiders get damage reduction?

Gromm

First Post
Hell hounds are outsiders, they don't have DR.
Howlers are outsiders, they don't have DR.
Lillends are outsiders, they don't have DR.
Mephits are outsiders, they don't have DR.
Nightmares are outsiders, they don't have DR.
I'll stop I think you get the idea. (I only went from H-N in the original MM)

Bonedagger

First Post
Being outsider has nothing to do with DR. It's an ability found among powerfull creatures (Extra though, Magical energies etc.). But it just happens that many of the outsiders primers meet are quit powerfull:)

A strong attachment to a certain Alignment (philosophy) or plane can allow you to channel these energies through you. A result of this can be DR.

(Monks can be raised because they are not immortal.. They still die of old age)

In the monstermanual they call anything that lives on the outer planes "outsiders". That's a discount version. Only those races that originated on the outer (Or inner) planes are outsiders.

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Gromm said:
Hell hounds are outsiders, they don't have DR.
Howlers are outsiders, they don't have DR.
Lillends are outsiders, they don't have DR.
Mephits are outsiders, they don't have DR.
Nightmares are outsiders, they don't have DR.
I'll stop I think you get the idea. (I only went from H-N in the original MM)
And Tieflings got the shaft! ;)

Bonedagger

First Post
Crothian said:
What's the Divine Agent prestige class and where is it from?

From MotP. Kind of like a special agent of a god.

And a little Planescape rant:)

Oh. And the not about them being able to be raised even when they get outsiderstatus is not a typo. Everything that runs around in a mortal body can have their mortal shell raised unless its expiering date runs out (That is. If they die of old age).

Last edited:

Xarlen

First Post
Native outsiders (Monks who're outsiders, Tieflings to the plane of their birth, Elemental Savants, etc) can be ressurected.

It's an outsider that dies on a plane that is not their own where they cannot be raised.

Think of the prime material plane as a human's 'Home Plane'. He can be ressurected here. Same thing with a Demon in the Abyss. If a Tiefling is born in the Material plane, he can be raised there. As with the monk. Divine Agent, etc etc.

Bonedagger

First Post
Xarlen said:
Native outsiders (Monks who're outsiders, Tieflings to the plane of their birth, Elemental Savants, etc) can be ressurected.

It's an outsider that dies on a plane that is not their own where they cannot be raised.

Think of the prime material plane as a human's 'Home Plane'. He can be ressurected here. Same thing with a Demon in the Abyss. If a Tiefling is born in the Material plane, he can be raised there. As with the monk. Divine Agent, etc etc.

No no no... Think about it. That would mean no raising many of the mortal visitors in Sigil:)

Once somebody dies he cannot travel among the planes anymore exept from a forced trip from the material to an outer plane. One needs power above the averinge "soul" to do that. Think about a mortal body as a trasportvessel that allows you to ignore this law and be free. Raising somebody repairs your mortal shell while at the same time calling you back to it.

So if you die on an outer plane you normally don't have the power to travel to the plane you belong to. The reason that petitioners (with a few exeptions) can't leave their home plane. (They can't cross planar boundaries even if they wanted... And many do want to)

Oh yes. And Demons are immortal and therefor they can not be resurrected. If "Killed" on a material plane they simple reform on their homeplane and cosmic laws prevent them from entering that plane again for a certain time.

And by the way. It doesn't say anywhere that you need to be on your homeplane in order to be resurrected so where do you get that from?

Last edited:

Remove ads