Overcards vs Underpair

BobProbst

First Post
I looked it up like you suggested: I was a 55% favorite to win with the underpair vs an unsuited overpair with straight potential.

I totally made the right call especially considering that he was playing a little loose and he winced a bit when he looked at his cards (I don't think he saw me watching). It was also the same steal move that he had pulled just a couple hands before it (not with the all in but still -- he forced Mark out just a few hands before with a bit re-raise.)

Obviously it didn't pay off but that's why it's called gambling.

Overcards vs Underpair

Also: Texas Holdem Poker Strategy - Pre Flop Hand Odds - 777.com
Pocket Pair vs. Two Overcards – ex. 99 vs. KQ
This is a close call. The pocket pair has a small advantage with 55 % to the two overcards' 45%. In the case of having a hand like QJ-suited the advantage is with this hand over a hand with a small pocket pair (55 or lower), because with the QJ you can still form a Straight without having the pair lower your chances of achieving it.

I will accept cash in lieu of apologies.

Last edited:

Grimhelm

First Post
I stand corrected. :) However, another point that got lost in the discussion was really the fact that a baby pair might not have been an all in hand, especially since you had no idea what Frank actually held at that time.

Nevertheless, I came in second in the first round and first in the second round. You get lucky or you bust. That's poker. I was short stacked last night and made a brazen all in.

I held 92suited hearts. The flop came 10h, 4h, and 5s. I bet all in. Chris called with pocket Aces. Hoping for the flush draw I crossed my fingers and wet my pants. 4th and 5th cards? 9--9. I tripled my nines and won. Weird stuff.

It was enough to keep my head above water, play smartly, and win the round, but I didn't deserve that singular hand. I guess the real key is to minimize your bonehead plays and keep your money while maximizing the good cards you get.

Last edited:

BobProbst

First Post
True. I knew it was something of a gamble but let's face it KJ off isn't an all in hand either. The betting had called around to me, I raised to 20, you and meagan folded and Frank went all in. I just had a sense that he was trying to steal and I called him on it.

By the numbers, it was the right thing to do and didn't pay off.

Now, I did misplay some earlier hands. Either not playing strong and make it too pricey for people to see a draw. Or underplaying and not soaking more money out of people: It's tough to make a raise when the other guy's called a hefty raises after the flop and then is just checking at you. I'm usually happy to take the money that's in there instead of risk more.

Grimhelm

First Post
I forgot that he went all in first. Usually in situations like that I weigh how much is being bet against the present pot size. If it is way out of proportion, I just fold. I don't concern myself too much with people's tells overall. I can read people, but I think it will take many more games for me to do it accurately. I prefer to pay attention to the hands I see other people play and how they bet in accordance with these hands. It gives me a general sense of the table and how to play against them. This is what I did in the second game. And once I changed my style, the game was over shortly after. Frank fell, then Megan, then Chris.

Last edited:

Remove ads