Overlapping Spells = double effects?

ConspiracyAngel

First Post
Okay... if a spellcaster casts two of the same spell, and if the areas of effect overlapp, would the person traversing the area suffer double the penalty? In example:

Spiked Growth: Cast over same area twice, does it do double damage?
Entangle: Cast over same squares twice, does it impede movement 2x as much as one casting of it would have?
Light: If you cast light, the first 20 feet would be normal light, the second 20 would be at low light... so if you cast it twice should first 20 be dazzling and the second 20 be normal? (I don't think so on this one, but same rule applies I would think?)

Need to make a ruling on this one for my current situation.

Shallown

First Post
Same spells do not stack. Same anything does not stack. I know dodge supposedly does but I think only dodge from different sources does.

Now Entangle and spike growth do stack but they are different spells.

Hope that helps.

later

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
ConspiracyAngel said:
Okay... if a spellcaster casts two of the same spell, and if the areas of effect overlapp, would the person traversing the area suffer double the penalty?
No. In general, layering multiple castings of the same spell does not increase the effect. Any exceptions are specifically noted.

Spiked Growth: Cast over same area twice, does it do double damage?
Entangle: Cast over same squares twice, does it impede movement 2x as much as one casting of it would have?
Light: If you cast light, the first 20 feet would be normal light, the second 20 would be at low light... so if you cast it twice should first 20 be dazzling and the second 20 be normal? (I don't think so on this one, but same rule applies I would think?)
No in all cases.

jgsugden

Legend
OOC: I'm not doubting that the 'no stacking' result is the best result, but does anyone know where in the rules that it is located? I can find the 'no stacking bonuses', but not the 'no stacking effects' rule.

In some situations, it seems like it should have some effect. If a creature is located in an area where two mass hold monster spells are cast, that crerature needs to make 2 saves to avoid being held. If the creature is in a place where two cloudkill spells are cast, it seems to me that he should at least make an extra saving throw when the second spell is cast.

the Jester

Legend
Effects don't stack, but you have to save against each casting. Damage from two fireballs or something like that will stack, however.

ThirdWizard

First Post
This could be covered by:

"Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths: In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies."

"One Effect Makes Another Irrelevant: Sometimes, one spell can render a later spell irrelevant. Both spells are still active, but one has rendered the other useless in some fashion."

Neither is perfect though.

The generic rule presented is that "Spells or magical effects usually work as described, no matter how many other spells or magical effects happen to be operating in the same area or on the same recipient. Except in special cases, a spell does not affect the way another spell operates. Whenever a spell has a specific effect on other spells, the spell description explains that effect. Several other general rules apply when spells or magical effects operate in the same place:"

So, it looks like damaging effects, which arn't bonuses or penalties, would both apply. So if you had someone in two sleet storm areas, then that character would take both damaging effects.

That's the best I can find. Info on damage spells occupying the same area is not forthcoming in the SRD that I can see.

Last edited:

Javo Apenas

Villager
What about the barbarian's subclass feature from "Path of the Beast"? It states that the weapon dispels when the rage ends, so if I use it twice, I'd have two natural weapons, and the first one wouldn't vanish because the rage wouldn´t have ended. The effects and buffs, as Rage Damage and advantage on strenght tests, wouldn't stack, but the weapon has a specific condition to end, and it wouldn't be achieved by overlapping rages.

What about the barbarian's subclass feature from "Path of the Beast"? It states that the weapon dispels when the rage ends, so if I use it twice, I'd have two natural weapons, and the first one wouldn't vanish because the rage wouldn´t have ended. The effects and buffs, as Rage Damage and advantage on strenght tests, wouldn't stack, but the weapon has a specific condition to end, and it wouldn't be achieved by overlapping rages.
Just an FYI, this thread is 20 years old. You may not get a response, or at least not a helpful one as I guess I did respond!

Remove ads