• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

P90x

Jack7

First Post
One and a half rounds of P90X, and then a round of Insanity.

Insanity is brutal.

Which do you prefer, P90X or Insanity? I've yet to try Insanity. It looks pretty good.

Anyone started a good workout routine since this thread fell off the front page?
I've done P90X and continue to do so, but really I've modified it to suit my previous back and other injuries and integrated it with my own exercise, my PT training, and weight lifting programs. That has worked out really well.

About two moths ago I developed a Paramilitary Training Program just for myself that covers every day of the work week and trains for a lot of different types of activities. Sort of like cross training for paramilitary purpose.

I get up and run or cycle (because running sometimes hurts my back and I like to cycle) in the morning (5 days a week), do a modified P90X at lunch (3 days a week) and my PTP either before dinner or after nightfall (5 days a week). On weekends I just relax and recover. All of my exercise programs are basically geared to the Fartlek method or to staggered intensity training.

Today I went to give blood and was told by the nurse I had near perfect blood pressure. I asked her if she meant for my age and she told me for just about any age. And I was told that form what she could see on initial tests my blood seemed very healthy. (I take a lot of supplements though and drink a vitamin and mineral and herbal solution I invented myself.) And I've kept to my diet.

So overall I'm pleased with my health and weight (down to 175) and strength. Can't run or cut directions quickly like I used to, but I've had a lot of injuries. So for my age, not bad I guess.

Congratulations to everyone else improving their health and fitness.

A lot of programs are designed to slim down -which is good. However, for me, I'm looking to put back on some of the mass I had when I was active duty military.

You're probably gonna wanna modify your/the diet as well.

theT0rmented

Explorer
I did the P90X program with my wife last winter (February - April). It's a great program. I didn't follow the meal plan too precisely, though I cut alcohol and watched what I ate. I only lost a couple of pounds, but lost 2.5 inches off my waist (I'm not a big guy). I'm actually starting to have abs! :)

Has anybody seen the preview of P90X2 on beachbody.com? It comes out this fall, and seems pretty extreme.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Which do you prefer, P90X or Insanity? I've yet to try Insanity. It looks pretty good.
I prefer P90X. For one, P90X is a well-rounded system. It's strength training as well as cardio. And its cardio routines are at a pace that I like. It will build muscle and burn fat.

Insanity is all cardio, and at a pace beyond the extreme. (When all the performers *and* the coach fall to the floor after the workout, it's over the top.) I'm proud to be able to say that I completed the Insanity program, but I would never do it again. I do occasionally do one of the DVDs as a change up from the P90X that I've been doing for over a year, but it's almost more of a punishment than a workout.

You know how you can get a good, "high" feeling from a strong workout? I get that with P90X. With Insanity, you push beyond that and into the just completely exhausted state. But Insanity will burn the fat off fast. Although it does not build any muscle.

Bullgrit

Jack7

First Post
You know how you can get a good, "high" feeling from a strong workout? I get that with P90X. With Insanity, you push beyond that and into the just completely exhausted state. But Insanity will burn the fat off fast. Although it does not build any muscle.

Thanks. I'm probably too old for that as a continuous work out program. However it might be nice to incorporate that into my other training programs, as you said, as an occasional workout strategy.

Last edited:

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I'm probably too old for that as a continuous work out program.
Yeah, it's telling when all the participants in the videos (about a dozen in each) are all in their 20s, and very fit. There is one "token" 40 year old in a couple of the vids, but she's not in many. And very few of the 20-somethings can actually go the entire workout without taking a break. (None of the guys can make it through, but a couple of the girls do.)

Bullgrit

jcayer

Explorer
Bullgrit,
I have the exact same sentiment regarding Insanity. I'm 38, I've done it, and won't do it again. It's just too much beating on my body. I did it after 2 rounds of P90x and was afraid my knees wouldn't be particularly happy. Surprisingly, they held up, but I could not have done another month.
I'm changing pace a little with Supreme 90 Day now. It's a 90 day workout similar to P90x. So far, I don't think it's as hard as P90x, and it isn't quite as well rounded. But it's a nice change and the workouts are typically 45 minutes. You can pick it up at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $20....don't buy from the company online. From the reviews I've read, they rob you blind. Here's my blog for those wanting a review of some of the workouts. Josh's Fitness Blog
I am looking at another round of P90x and by then, P90x2 will be out.
Josh

Pbartender

First Post
I'm 60 days in to Power 90 and I'm strongly considering stepping up to P90X when I'm done. From what I've done so far, I would encourage this program to people that haven't done a program before.

I am going to be starting with Power 90 as well. I bought it a few years ago, but never did it, and now that I have a daughter and I am at the worst weight I have ever been at, I would need something to "get me started".

I'm kind of in the same sort of situation... I had several years where I was riding my bicycle to and from work (~12 miles round trip) every day all year round. Crashes and bad weather induced me to give up. I've never done a real exercise regimen, and need to get back into shape something awful.

This thread got me looking at P90X, but maybe I'll give Power 90 a shot first.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads