• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PA police boycott YMCA over pro-Harry Potter stance

The military is voluntary too, but that doesn't mean that you can disobey an order! I mean, they're bound to have a contract or something

As a current Military member and a former voluntary fireman I feel qualified to comment on this.

Military members are bound by a totally different legal system than civilians called the Uniform Cord of Military Justice(UCMJ). In fact article 128 of the UCMJ makes it illegal for anyone regardless of marital status to receive oral sex from anyone else regardless of sex. This just being an example of the vast difference between the UCMJ and the American legal system.

As a volunteer fireman I was allowed to wear whatever I wanted, pierce my ears, exercise my freedom of speech without fear of reprisal. Furthermore if I did not want to participate in the annual Fireman's Fair or assist with non-emergency situations I was not obligated.

I could quit being a fireman at any time, I am bound to five more years of military service, refusal to serve means jail.

I signed a contract to join the military, I walked in and volunteered to train to be a fireman, was not paid.

So be careful of the word voulnteer. I voulnteered to be a fireman and was treated with the freedom of a voulnteer.

I Voulnteered to sign a contract with the Department of Defense and now they own every aspect of my life and have a say in every part to the point that I am obligated to put my service before the rights and well being of my family if needed.

Big difference between volunteering for a civil service position and being in the military.

rounser

First Post
I don't expect everyone to share my taste in news, but I'm still surprised at the animosity toward the magazine. Any particular reasons why some of you guys hate it so much? Maybe I'm blind to something obvious....

IMO, a few too many of their opinion pieces distort issues like a funhouse mirror in order to lay on suggestions of controversy, politics, and sexual and social issues. They also seem to be into stating airy speculations about things like zeitgeists and postmodernism as absolutes. To some this is topical, informative and entertaining; to others, gutter journalism. As for me, it depends what mood I'm in which category they fall into.

You occasionally get a good article (Greg Costikyan's are especially worth checking out for gamers), so it's worth a look from time to time, but I don't check there regularly, and can understand a certain antipathy towards them.

Damror

First Post
Frankly, I think it is truly disgusting; don't they do personality tests before accepting these volunteers?

No, they don't. And if they did, some idiot would say it violates the crazy people's right to protect thier communities. Call it America...

Three cheers for Alan Keyes! I don't always agree with him, but many times I do. He has great conviction and is one of the best speakers in American politics. Even when he's wrong he's fun to listen to.

As for the "fire police" story, I think it is remarkable that the YMCA was reading Harry Potter in the first place. I think that is very cool. I also think it is interesting that the article says the YMCA has had its own faith questioned for reading those books.

Sounds a little like the witch huts of the past, doesn't it?

I wish there was some way to change people's minds about that, but there isn't.

In fact article 128 of the UCMJ makes it illegal for anyone regardless of marital status to receive oral sex from anyone else regardless of sex.

There are statutes like that in several states too. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mr. Grimm

First Post
Damror said:

There are statutes like that in several states too. :rolleyes:

Most of my exes must be running things there...

What I find really interesting about all the anti-Potter stuff lately is all of the crazy belief in witchcraft and sorcery being a real thing to fear.

Maybe Tom Hanks could make a new movie where instead of a D&D group, he joins an extremist church that has him battling evil witches and warlocks.

Kesh

First Post
Mr. Grimm said:
What I find really interesting about all the anti-Potter stuff lately is all of the crazy belief in witchcraft and sorcery being a real thing to fear.

Well, considering the religion is based on a belief in the supernatural (God, angels, demons, etc.), it shouldn't be that surprising.

It is annoying that they're so eager to label anything that remotely resembles non-Christian supernatural things as inherently evil though. :(

Is this Legal? I know at certain events a certain ratio of police vs Crowd need to be their. Here in Asheville I think it is for every 100 People 2 officers city or state need to be in attendance. No matter the event every Halloween we have a Wiccan/Pagan hootenanney downtown if front of the court house and the police is there. And I live int the Deep south NC right in the middle of the bible!! What ever happened to seperation a Church and State?

MonkeyBoy

First Post

>>
It is annoying that they're so eager to label anything that remotely resembles non-Christian supernatural things as inherently evil though.
<<

That's common (and inherent) in mono-theistic faiths; both christianity and judaism share a commandment that specifies that all other faiths (and by extension; belief in other supernatural forces is "faith") is wrong, and to be opposed.

Certainly in the christian teaching, the only other _acknowledged_ supernatural power-group is headed by satan...

Can't blame people for being true to their stated beliefs.

Well, actually I can... But I do have to grudgingly accept that their being true to them, not just bolshy :)

(aside; in many translations of the old testament, the commandment reads "thou shalt worhip no other gods but me" - that phrase instead of "there is no other god but me" is taken by some as a tacit admition of the existance of other deities...)

But then; to paraphrase a commonly used term stated when talking about legal issues; IANAC. Take a pinch of salt with this...

smetzger

Explorer
This story is a troll. It doesn't give enough information to make an informed decision about the refusal of service of the police dept. It is merely inflaming people about a perceived injustice.

Things we need to know:
1) Is this an all volunteer, no money 'police' dept.
2) Are the police obligated by law to provide this service
3) Was the YMCA going to pay them for this service

hong

WotC's bitch
Agnostic Paladin said:
Hey, its the AP wire; you were expecting quality unbiased reporting? AP is good at making both sides look bad at once.

That is a very good definition of "unbiased", actually. :)

King_Stannis

Explorer
Wolfspider said:
Yes, this is truly an unfortunate affair. :(

On a tangent, I'm amazed at the negative reaction people have to Salon.com. I think it's a great magazine. I read it every day. Of course, I don't expect everyone to share my taste in news, but I'm still surprised at the animosity toward the magazine. Any particular reasons why some of you guys hate it so much? Maybe I'm blind to something obvious....

many people feel that salon.com is very open about their views, which happen to lean to the left.

but i can sympathize. i hear the same thing about foxnews, only people seem to think they lean toward the right.

to each their own.

Remove ads