• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PA School Board: D&D can improve students test scores

Dr Awkward

First Post
http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/l...2524946.story?coll=green-news-local-headlines

According to Greenwich Time, a PA school board conducted a five-year study on the effects of enrichment programs on student performance and found that students who participated in a D&D program showed a 4.5 percent increase in their test results.

The focus of the article is on chess (which returned a 17 percent improvement), but the numbers are still good to see. I'm going to see if I can get a copy of the study results and make them available on the site.

- DocAwk

ssampier

First Post
Interesting, it seems like the author has a definite bias toward chess in the article. Also it is assumed that a student may only play D&D or creative writing or chess. What is the potential if a student plays chess and other enrichment activities? Also, I wonder if chess has a self-selection process; only the brightest or most dedicated may be attracted to chess.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
So since I play both chess and D&D I'm destined to be a genius?

... Well, less of a moron, at least. :uhoh:

Dr Awkward

First Post
ssampier said:
Also it is assumed that a student may only play D&D or creative writing or chess. What is the potential if a student plays chess and other enrichment activities? Also, I wonder if chess has a self-selection process; only the brightest or most dedicated may be attracted to chess.

Sounds like a good subject for another study! :)

I've managed to get the name of the fellow who did the research - Robert Ferguson of the Bradford, PA school district - now I want to see if I can get the results of the study, find out more about his methodology, etc. It looks like the research happened in the early 80s.

At the very least, we've got a study that proves that playing D&D helps a kid's grey matter as much as taking a course in creative writing - and which would be more likely to happen over the summer months, when kids are out of school and forgetting all about their lessons?

- DocAwk

Remove ads