Page Links in List of Threads are Gone in New Design

Nevvur

Explorer
How did you do that? it used to show the first 10, then a gap, then the last one, like this:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 32

So you'd have had to go to the last page then from there go back one, which you can still do now.

True. To clarify, I was speaking of threads with fewer than 10 pages. Once they exceeded that amount, I usually lost interest. For the rare thread that exceeded 10 pages and which I was still interested in following, I would have done as you described. If the page links were to include the last few pages rather than just the last one, that would've suited me even better, but as you said, we never had that.

This isn't like a deal breaker or anything for me, just bemoaning the loss of a small convenience.

Musing, if this were made a profile option with a default off setting, I wonder how many people would activate it? Enough to make a noticeable impact on speed? My instinct says no.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Everything adds a database query to the page. Viewcounts all add database queries, page display indicators add database queries, etc. The reason a site gets slow is often (and in our case usually) because of a large number of database queries on every page load. Every little thing you remove is one less database query, and they all add up. A streamlined site therefore moves faster.

Even without any more information, when I saw the redesign I figured that removing a lot of the extra "content" would improve the performance. I assume the answer is yes, but have you also done some analysis of the database workload and performance? A good analyst can do great things with partitioning, indexes, and table-specific tuning.

Since the streamlining last weekend, we've had a 40% speed increase. That's quite a bit; and it'll also benefit our Google rankings, as we were ranked as "very slow".

That's great to hear! 40% is outstanding. When I said I hadn't noticed huge improvement, that's mostly because I haven't really been paying close attention. I definitely noticed "some" improvement, and for someone who's not paying attention to notice any improvement at all is a great thing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I assume the answer is yes, but have you also done some analysis of the database workload and performance? A good analyst can do great things with partitioning, indexes, and table-specific tuning.

Your assumption is correct. You can thank [MENTION=52905]darjr[/MENTION] for some wonderful work behind the scenes.

Remove ads