• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pages From The Upcoming Nautical D&D Book!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

1.jpg
2.jpg

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
Hopefully that combined with some overall water/nautical rules and at least a bit of a bestiary.

I think is worth noting that at least the U3 booklet included some rules for underwater adventuring in the introduction in page 12. As far as I know there is no mention of rules for underwater adventures in U1 or U2. Maybe rules is not the right word lets call it guidance.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
At this point imo they can include conversions for U1 to U3, converted notes on Saltmarsh and include the Underwater and Navigation rules. All this would make a decent book with mini-setting, rules and adventures (maybe new monsters). They can also include the Kraken and "Falling Star" ship (the mini from wizkids and Chris Perkins) and call it a day. Let's call it Tales from the Falling Star... lol.

Outside the jokes, it seems we are getting something along those lines.

Edit: typos

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
At this point imo they can include conversions for U1 to U3, converted notes on Saltmarsh and include the Underwater and Navigation rules. All this would make a decent book with mini-setting, rules and adventures (maybe new monsters). They can also include the kraken and "Fallen Star" ship (the mini from wizkids and Chris perkins) and call it a day. Lets call it Tales from the Fallen Star... lol.

Outside the jokes, it seems we are getting something along those lines.

My current wave is that there is an intro section on ship stuff, similar to the incongruous section on the Yawning Portal in TftYP (though probably more relevant), mainly adventure content (U1-3, not sure what else would fit: the Sea Devil stuff from 2E??), and a beastiary of monsters in the adventure material and maybe some random aquatic beasts and even random encounter tables.

Yawning Portal was a successful book, but it seems they are working to avoid it's main pitfall, being a more or less random grabbag of stuff.

My gut still feels like the Summer storyline will be seafaring too, so maybe this slots in well as an intro to a Tier 2 and up AP.

Dr. Bull

Adventurer
It's a barracks. What should it contain, 20+ apple turnovers?

Mark B:

Hilarious! I wonder what the Challenge Rating for 20+ apple turnovers might be? Do they get Lair Actions? Maybe the flaked crust can cause choking damage? Perhaps they spin attack (the feared Turnover Maneuver) and then spill molten apple on their victims? Could that cause continuous fire damage (1d4 rounds)?

Seriously, though... From my old school days, a barracks full of enemies created a GREAT challenge for the players. A direct assault could easily result in a TPK. Do the PC's circumvent the threat? Lay an ambush? Create a distraction?

BTW: The DM's Guild now offer U1 (The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh) as a print-on-demand. I just got it in the mail last week and the quality is excellent. It is truly a great adventure!

I think the last time I ran that module was 1987...

- Dr. Bull

epithet

Explorer
Maybe this time when they publish a book of Greyhawk material, they will go ahead and open up Greyhawk on the DM's Guild.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If I recall, "Long Walk, Short Plank" was the name of one of the four mock-up books. And it's clearly (overly so?) listed on each of the pages shown. Are we sure these aren't mock-up pages as well? As opposed to the actual content?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
If I recall, "Long Walk, Short Plank" was the name of one of the four mock-up books. And it's clearly (overly so?) listed on each of the pages shown. Are we sure these aren't mock-up pages as well? As opposed to the actual content?

Not really. If the content was simply cut-and-paste, you might be on to something, but it looks more like actual time and effort has been spent on this.

Staffan

Legend

They said that the pages were slightly modified for spoilers but were otherwise the pages going into the book. They likely meant the very conspicuous "Long walk, short plank" title and the watermark.

It might be that the page numbers are correct as well and the book has an abbreviated version of the Saltmarsh stuff as an intro to a more comprehensive nautical adventure, just like Princes of the Apocalypse had Trouble in Red Larch for levels 1-3 before getting into the adventure proper.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

They said the art and text are from the new book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads