Paging Echohawk...

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Although I initially pegged them as a construct (based on that "dowagu are magical constructs created by the Raja Ambuchar Devayam" line), it might be more appropriate to make them undead, since Ambuchar Devayam is himself a "unique form of undead, created through his own evil necromancy" and the rest of his minions are also undead creatures.

I don't think it would contradict the minimal background provided in Blood Charge to make them an aberration though.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Here are the bits that are specific to the tim, from WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins. There is also a whole chunk of general text applicable to gingwatzim, but I'm assuming you can get that from the gingwatzim that appeared in Dragon #295?

Gingwatzim, Tim

CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Ethereal or Prime Material Plane
FREQUENCY: Very rare
ORGANIZATION: Solitary
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
DIET: Feeds directly upon victim's strength
INTELLIGENCE: Non- (0)
TREASURE: Nil
ALIGNMENT: Neutral

NO. APPEARING: 1
ARMOR CLASS: 0
MOVEMENT: 15
HIT DICE: 2
THAC0: 19
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: Nil
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Only hurt by spells and magical weapons
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: T (2' diam.)
MORALE: Fearless (19-20)
XP VALUE: 975

In free form the tim are blue, glowing spheres of sparkling energy. Their bound animate forms are limited to such things as frogs, spiders, fish, insects, snakes, or plants with unusual senses or abilities. They are usually bound to entryways or else physically restricted to an area, since they are incapable of understanding even simply commands. Their inanimate forms are restricted to the simplest of items, below even a +1 weapon or shield. Such items are limited to a single use per day since the gingwatzim powering it needs that long to recover.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
"The platform stops moving at what you think is the floor level, and a monstrous, glowing shape glides towards you..."

The glowing figure is a new monster, the Darksider (see description).

"As the ghost-like shape approaches, it smiles a hideously evil grin. In your mind you hear, "I am your dark side. I know your darkest fears and doubts! And, I wish them to be, so defeat me or die!" It raises its hands and a wave of terror washes over you."

The PCs can now react, but actions other than disbelief will do them little good. Any attacks by their "vision" will seem real.
In the though projection attack that follows, each character must react individually to his fear. Remember that the PCs have not moved, athough they may seem to be removed from the rest of the group, so watch for area-effect spells or any combat.
The only way to fight the Darksider is to demonstrate an act of disbelief or become unconscious. Otherwise run combat normally.

Darksider (1): Int Genius; AL NE; AC n/a; MV instantaneous; HD n/a; hp: n/a; #AT 1; THAC0 hits automatically; Dmg as victim x 2 (apparent damage); SA ESP, thought projection (no save); SD immune to most attacks.

The Darksider
The Darksider is an energy being from the Negative Material plane, that feeds on anxiety and fear. The Darksider appears as a ghost-like form of each of its "victims." Using ESP, the Darksider determines the single greatest fear of each subject. It then uses thought projection to create the deepest, darkest fears of its subject. If "killed" by this fear, the victim does not die but merely falls unconscious. Afterwards, the victim is forever immune to that Darksider's attack.
Most deaths that are attributed to Darksider appearances have been caused by adventurers attempting to slay it, and actually slaying other party members. Deaths have also occured through attempts to flee the illusion. Otherwise, a Darksider is incapable of giving or receiving physical damage.

Remove ads