• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paid – [Zeitgeist Games] Open Call for Writers!

Paid – [Zeitgeist Games] Open Call for Writers!

Greetings,

Zeitgeist Games is putting forward an open call for writers for work on the Dave Arneson's Blackmoor line. We are in immediate need of several such individuals familiar with the world of Dave Arneson’s Blackmoor. Knowledge of Dave Arneson’s Blackmoor MMRPG will also prove helpful.

Interested parties should send a resume to me [Christopher] (christopher.reed at zeitgeistgames dot com) with the subject line of "Blackmoor Open Call for Writers" for consideration.

The work in question is immediate in nature, so if you are locked in current efforts, please recognize this fact before submitting your resume for consideration. We will be taking submissions until the end of Monday, May 29, 2006.

Feel free to post or forward this message to interested parties.

Thanks,

Christopher Reed
Line Developer - Dave Arneson's Blackmoor
Zeitgeist Games, Inc.
christopher.reed@zeitgeistgames.com

Has anyone ever worked for them before? Was wondering because my husband is having a hard time getting paid for work he did on a project for them and was wondering if it was the norm? He's been freelancing for some time and a company owned by Dave Arneson seemed pretty reputable.

Cayd

First Post
Sure thing. I did an illustration for them a couple years back, and if I remember correctly the project was around July, and payment was rendered somewhere around January. I'm guessing it was made 90 days after publication, but don't quote me on that, it has been a couple years.

Thanks,

He was getting worried and I was trying to calm him down a bit. The product came out in August of last year, he sends an email to a guy every few months and someone says they are checking on it and then nothing. Recently he sent a letter and got the president I think, this was early in September. He said the check was in this month's cycle. October came and he hadn't heard from him. He's emailed him pretty polite emails wondering if osmething had happened and hadn't received anything.

Hellion

First Post
I've done a fair amount of artwork for ZeitGiest games and would be happy to do so again (if you are reading guys;)).

I've had no problems concerning payment, it's been paid in accordance with the contract I signed and the gents have been most communicative whenever I have had reason to email them:)

Dlsharrock

First Post
I've no experience with this company, but I was in a similar situation with Chaosium two years ago. They took an inordinate amount of time to pay and didn't respond to my persistent emails (though they did pay eventually I should grudgingly admit). So reputation and success of the company is not necessarily a watchword for reliable and timely payment. However, the responses you've received here suggest your husband's problem is unusual. I would advise trying to contact the president by phone rather than email.

Jaybird216

First Post
A friend of mine pointed this thread out to me, so I registered to put in my 2¢ on the matter. I might be shooting myself in the foot by posting, but that's life.

Let me preface this by saying that I think it's a generally bad I idea to trash a company on a public forum, even if you're 100% in the right. The reasoning behind this is that some other company might see your post and not hire you, based solely on the fear that you'll bash them too if some "misunderstanding" occurs down the road. That being said, let the nerfed bashing proceed:

I did some artwork for "Players Guide to Blackmoor", which was delayed in print, but was eventually released. I never heard from them regarding payment nor received a comp copy, though I did go out and buy it at my FLGS at an "industry discount". The terms of the contract are "120 days after publication or 9 months after artwork acceptance", so I let both lapse before I bugged ZG. The artwork was accepted in June of 2006. I emailed the company 5/30/2007, politely inquiring about the payment. I attached a copy of the contract with my email, and asked them if they'd like me to resubmit my W9 tax form.

I received a response from the President of the company, who explained that there had been a pretty good turnover of staff, and that my info may have been lost in the shuffle. We traded a few more emails, and eventually (July 3, 2007) he sent me a paypal payment for the outstanding sum of $80. All communication between us was cordial and polite, it's just unfortunate that I (or the OP's husband) have to come begging for scraps and stay on them until they pay. Luckily for me, I have a good job and just do freelance for fun and a few extra bucks.

The catch now is that they still owe me money for art that was accepted in August 2006 for Temple of the Frog. Since that has yet to be released (and it's a paltry sum), I'm not all that worried about it right now. I mentioned something about it in my last email to them, for posterity, and will go begging for my pittance 121 days after the thing is finally released.

In summation: It's annoying that I had to chase them down a year later and email repeatedly for peanuts (in my case), but the contact I had with them was polite, professional and in the end, productive. My advice is to stay on them.

As with everything else on teh intarweb, your mileage may vary.

I'll sign out now, before I start trashing a different independent "old school" publisher who REALLY deserves it.

Jaybird216 said:
A friend of mine pointed this thread out to me, so I registered to put in my 2¢ on the matter. I might be shooting myself in the foot by posting, but that's life.

Let me preface this by saying that I think it's a generally bad I idea to trash a company on a public forum, even if you're 100% in the right. The reasoning behind this is that some other company might see your post and not hire you, based solely on the fear that you'll bash them too if some "misunderstanding" occurs down the road. That being said, let the nerfed bashing proceed:

I did some artwork for "Players Guide to Blackmoor", which was delayed in print, but was eventually released. I never heard from them regarding payment nor received a comp copy, though I did go out and buy it at my FLGS at an "industry discount". The terms of the contract are "120 days after publication or 9 months after artwork acceptance", so I let both lapse before I bugged ZG. The artwork was accepted in June of 2006. I emailed the company 5/30/2007, politely inquiring about the payment. I attached a copy of the contract with my email, and asked them if they'd like me to resubmit my W9 tax form.

I received a response from the President of the company, who explained that there had been a pretty good turnover of staff, and that my info may have been lost in the shuffle. We traded a few more emails, and eventually (July 3, 2007) he sent me a paypal payment for the outstanding sum of $80. All communication between us was cordial and polite, it's just unfortunate that I (or the OP's husband) have to come begging for scraps and stay on them until they pay. Luckily for me, I have a good job and just do freelance for fun and a few extra bucks.

The catch now is that they still owe me money for art that was accepted in August 2006 for Temple of the Frog. Since that has yet to be released (and it's a paltry sum), I'm not all that worried about it right now. I mentioned something about it in my last email to them, for posterity, and will go begging for my pittance 121 days after the thing is finally released.

In summation: It's annoying that I had to chase them down a year later and email repeatedly for peanuts (in my case), but the contact I had with them was polite, professional and in the end, productive. My advice is to stay on them.

As with everything else on teh intarweb, your mileage may vary.

I'll sign out now, before I start trashing a different independent "old school" publisher who REALLY deserves it.
The only contact my husband has is an email address for a Dustin (which he got from Christopher Reed whom no longer works there). Does anyone have a phone number they email me or direct me me to halfpintgamer (att) yahoo dottt com . Would really appreciate it.

Not trying to trash the company, all the emails have been cordial, but he hasn't heard anything in a few weeks and he says it feels as if the communication has been ceased.

Jaybird216

First Post
The "bashing" comment wasn't intended at you or any of the other posters. It was aimed at myself. I do generally think it's a bad idea, but I wanted to state my entire case, so I felt like a disclaimer was needed. ;)

The only contact I've had with them was through email with Dustin. The contract was originally through Chris Reed, but as you stated he left the company in 12/2006. Here's the company contact info, from their website:

Contact Us!

Oviedo, Florida Office

120 Alexandria Blvd.
Suite #17
Oviedo, Florida 32765

Phone: 407-376-3695

Business Inquires: newbiz@zeitgeistgames.com

Media Inquiries:
media@zeitgeistgames.com

I hope that helps! hang in there.

JB

Remove ads