• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Painting Minis

cuteasaurus

First Post
Since we're all in the process of getting new minis for this game, I thought this would be a good time to ask how this group "works" painting minis. (That, and I just bought a bunch of paints and have dedicated my kitchen table to this hobby.) For example, does everyone buy their own paints and paint on their own time? Does everyone have their own paints and then come together for "group painting?" Something else?

Laurel

First Post
cuteasaurus said:
Since we're all in the process of getting new minis for this game, I thought this would be a good time to ask how this group "works" painting minis. (That, and I just bought a bunch of paints and have dedicated my kitchen table to this hobby.) For example, does everyone buy their own paints and paint on their own time? Does everyone have their own paints and then come together for "group painting?" Something else?
In past we have just had seperate mini painting time, with the occational new mini painted during session at the Bauman apt.

Did you want to try a group painting?

The_Universe

First Post
Laurel said:
In past we have just had seperate mini painting time, with the occational new mini painted during session at the Bauman apt.

Mini painting is one of the side activities that is allowed during the game time, though obviously it tends to slow down during group combat. Since I DM frequently, I almost never paint during the actual game - I think I've done so a couple of times when others are DMing/GMing, but I try to keep my eyes on the prize as much as possible. ;)

We don't mind sharing our paints as long as they're treated well, but we've never done a session where we all just got together for the express purpose of painting. Since (obviously) I do paint a fair amount of miniatures, and I don't do it while I'm DMing, I generally paint while I'm watching TV or movies or something. I set one of our TV trays in front of my chair and paint while I am simultaneously entertained. If you're over at the Bauman apartment and we're NOT gaming, feel free to paint as long as you can chat at the same time. :) That's what I do.

cuteasaurus

First Post
Laurel said:

Yes, well at least I think "group painting" might be fun. I've spent quite a bit of time painting, reading about painting, and visiting nerdy painting store and I thought it might be a good exercise to meet and paint together once and perhaps share painting tips we've picked up? I'd be willing to host, though this probably wouldn't be for awhile, since it'd be nice if people had their new minis to paint. If people aren't interested, that's fine, but I thought I'd throw it out there. :)

The_Universe

First Post
cuteasaurus said:
Yes, well at least I think "group painting" might be fun. I've spent quite a bit of time painting, reading about painting, and visiting nerdy painting store and I thought it might be a good exercise to meet and paint together once and perhaps share painting tips we've picked up? I'd be willing to host, though this probably wouldn't be for awhile, since it'd be nice if people had their new minis to paint. If people aren't interested, that's fine, but I thought I'd throw it out there. :)
We can probably do it wherever. Maybe once the Bauman Apartment (Mark II) is a fully operational battlestation, we can host it there, as well. I packed up all of the miniatures last night - but they're safely boxed and ready to move! Huzzah!

Laurel

First Post
cuteasaurus said:
Yes, well at least I think "group painting" might be fun.
Considering I go to scrapbooking parties and used to sit aorund with a good friend painting mini's at 2am when we couldn't sleep- I would love a group painting party :)

cuteasaurus said:
I've spent quite a bit of time painting, reading about painting, and visiting nerdy painting store and I thought it might be a good exercise to meet and paint together once and perhaps share painting tips we've picked up? I'd be willing to host, though this probably wouldn't be for awhile, since it'd be nice if people had their new minis to paint. If people aren't interested, that's fine, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
It sounds like you would not learn too much from me, but it sounds like I could learn from you master :D

Last edited:

Remove ads