• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [Paizo] Free RPG Day's Revenge of the Kobold King

SavageRobby

First Post
Mark said:
Both true. A little pixellating is impossible to avoid, but they aren't too bad.

I'm still wondering how you get them so nice. All my attempts (and I'm not a graphics neophyte, although I'm not a professional nor even an expert) have come out with high pixellation. Care to share your method?

takasi

First Post
I've been experimenting with different map techniques for some time now, and this looks very nice.

That said, I want to add that I find these pregenerated maps inferior to all other forms of maps. The lack of a fog of war breaks suspension of disbelief. By having it all laid out in front of you it gives a sense of railroady, 'alll this was predetermined for us' feel too.

My personal preference is still hand drawn battlemats as the party explores, using imagination instead of props. However, when I am going to go through this trouble to get players attention I use a monitor or big screen tv, a PC that uses MapTool and laser pointers. To each his own though.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I scan the booklet (use the best quality settings your scanner can allow), adjust the image to 300dpi (better if your computer won't choke on large images), enlarge them enough and break it up into roughly 8 x 10 sections (there's always some pixelating, but they still look pretty good), then put it together into a pdf for printing (to be sure the size from section to section stays accurate). I even allow there to be some overlap between section images.

It is worth allowing the images to overlap, IMO, and cut them smaller than the image to avoid border lines in the middle of the map. I've tried a couple of methods for mounting but prefer to glue stick them to foam board (available at any art supply or craft store) then cover them with laminate sheets. When I cut them up so they fold, I also add some tape to the back as a sort of hinge.

Some people might keep them all as one large image if they have to computer power to do so and print them on a plotter if they have one, but the best I can do is use the local UPS store which has a $.35 sale on color printing at the moment. I only print b&w at home.

I use maps like those above or flip mats, DDM maps, maps from the old Dragon (feels weird to call it old), e-Adventure Tiles, and map packs, but I place them all on a megamat so that the players never feel they need be confined to the edges of the map.

Hope that helps! :)

Mark

takasi said:
The lack of a fog of war (. . .)

In this case, most of what they can see they would either know or should surmise (house interiors?). The tomb is sectioned and hidden. Works well and swiftly and the goal of this method is to avoid having to draw and to have something that looks much better than I could draw. The tomb includes fog of war elements, which I do like.

Maps + DM + Players + Speed = :win: :D

SavageRobby

First Post
Mark said:
I scan the booklet (use the best quality settings your scanner can allow), adjust the image to 300dpi (better if your computer won't choke on large images), enlarge them enough and break it up into roughly 8 x 10 sections (there's always some pixelating, but they still look pretty good), then put it together into a pdf for printing (to be sure the size from section to section stays accurate). I even allow there to be some overlap between section images.

It is worth allowing the images to overlap, IMO, and cut them smaller than the image to avoid border lines in the middle of the map. I've tried a couple of methods for mounting but prefer to glue stick them to foam board (available at any art supply or craft store) then cover them with laminate sheets. When I cut them up so they fold, I also add some tape to the back as a sort of hinge.

Some people might keep them all as one large image if they have to computer power to do so and print them on a plotter if they have one, but the best I can do is use the local UPS store which has a $.35 sale on color printing at the moment. I only print b&w at home.

I use maps like those above or flip mats, DDM maps, maps from the old Dragon (feels weird to call it old), e-Adventure Tiles, and map packs, but I place them all on a megamat so that the players never feel they need be confined to the edges of the map.

Hope that helps! :)

It helps indeed. I think that its time I get a better scanner. Maybe thats what I should use my tax rebate money for. :)

FWIW, I often do the overlay trick as well, when I'm making various and sundry battlemaps. Great way to avoid the dreaded whitespace lines. I've actually taken to matboard over foamcore (its a little sturdier) and I use spray glue a lot, although when push comes to shove I use gluesticks - with all the cardstock stuff I make, I tend to buy them by the dozen. :)

I just started spray gluing the Paizo tiles on matboard as well. I really disliked them as just cardstock tiles. I really, really like them when they're more permanently based. :)

Mark

I've had trouble with making minor adjustments while laying things out wth spray as it seems to get too tacky and dry too quickly for my own speed, as opposed to the glue stick glue which seems more forgiving. Maybe because it is often made for younger school persons, or those with akin abilities like myself. :D

I think the foam board was on sale. Nothing against matboard. Might have to give it a go next time around or with some of the tiles like you suggest. I'll watch for a sale.

Remove ads