• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo making a decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicht

Hero
Whisperfoot said:
I can only assume that this means the GSL is finally ready.

Not necessarily. They have a hard date by which they have to make a decision about the 3rd AP.

Well, since Paizo turned the hype machine up to 11 with having their goblins set fire to the site, I guess I'll throw some more rumor mongering on the blaze...

Apparently yesterday Jason Buhlman finished his super secret project and handed it over to "the judges". That particular post isn't real clear, but if you look back in his blog, that's the general tone he takes when discussing his super secret project, so it's safe to assume he's referring to it.

Any guesses on what the super secret project involves? Especially considering it involves charts and algebra?
Yes, Paizo is abandoning the fantasy RPG business to make the most thrilling textbooks evar!

Just had to get the rumors REALLY flying. :)

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
This is rampant speculation, but I know they said somewhere on the paizo site that they did have a cut-off date for whether or not the 3rd Pathfinder Adventure Path would be third or fourth edition. This could be an announcement saying something along the lines of "Since we don't have the GSL, third AP is going to be 3rd Edition".

It could also be that the Pod-people have taken over as well.

Edit: Doh! Beaten by Wicht

Clavis

First Post
It would be interesting ifs Paizo decided to put out their own game system, which would essentially be a rewrite of 3.5 Edition. This way all their old Adventure Paths remain usable. They are the one company which could present a real challenge to 4th Edition, since they've already got a strong fan base for their existing products.The buzz about 4th Edition is nowhere near as good as the buzz about 3rd Edition was, and I for one am expecting it to do less well than Hasbro hopes.

As for people who think a small company can't challenge a big one, think where TSR and WOTC were relative to each other in the early 90's.

Big Jake

First Post
Wow... I would think that if this were just an announcement for their next AP it wouldn't be a big deal, so maybe this is it.

I'm feeling kinda excited to find out, but I have that nagging "empty stomach" feeling I get when something I've waited for finally arrives. It's like the waiting is the exciting part,when everyone can speculate and throw in their own two coppers and debate the benifits of either, both or neither. When the answer is given, that whole line of thought gets turned into the "Alrights!" and the "Oh nos!"

I wonder which way they'll go.

elijah snow

First Post
Here's my last second wild speculation:

Pathfinder stays 3.5e, Paizo launches a formerly super-secret new setting for upcoming 4e products.

Whichever setting sells more becomes the new flagship over time.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
I really wish they hadn't shut down their entire site to do this. I wanted to access some forum threads on there today.

Set

First Post
More rum to throw on the pyre;

Paizo goes system-less, producing adventures with modular characters that can be converted over into 3.5, 4.0, True 20 or their own in-house engine. In the back of each adventure are stats for one or two systems, and the others can be gotten online as product support.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I think I heard Erik saying something about "..ull suppo.. only fo.. ..unnies and Burr.." My wireless mike was getting some interference, though, so I can't confirm it.

Admiral Caine

First Post
Wicht said:
Not necessarily. They have a hard date by which they have to make a decision about the 3rd AP.

That's possible Wicht, but I wouldn't have gone to this length for that specific announcement. I would have saved something of that magnitude for the BIG DECISION.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads