• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo making a decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I cannot imagine them deciding to support 4E without seeing the license and (pseudo-)srd (or getting a private license of some other sort). At some point, they knew they would have to make a decision so as to have products ready for the big convention season. I would not be surprised to see they are opting to stick with 3.5 for the time being. Besides, now that Necro has slid under their wing, they have ready access to view the GSL and materials once they become available, since Necro has vowed they would support 4E (barring some gross breach of relationship protocol).

Admiral Caine

First Post
elijah snow said:
Here's my last second wild speculation:

Pathfinder stays 3.5e, Paizo launches a formerly super-secret new setting for upcoming 4e products.

Whichever setting sells more becomes the new flagship over time.

That's an interesting idea, but I don't see them having the resources to pull that off. They're already pulling 50 to 60 hour weeks now...

Admiral Caine

First Post
Mark said:
I cannot imagine them deciding to support 4E without seeing the license and (pseudo-)srd (or getting a private license of some other sort). At some point, they knew they would have to make a decision so as to have products ready for the big convention season. I would not be surprised to see they are opting to stick with 3.5 for the time being. Besides, now that Necro has slid under their wing, they have ready access to view the GSL and materials once they become available, since Necro has vowed they would support 4E (barring some gross breach of relationship protocol).

Just to follow up..

The contents of the GSL are protected under the NDA. Possession of the GSL is not. I got that straight from Lisa Stevens in a public quote.

Just to hammer it home, they won't be able to discuss the contents of the GSL, but they will be able to announce when they have it.

To wit, their Technical Director Vic Wertz stated that they didn't have it last Friday. They haven't made any such statement since then.. and WOTC is a short drive from Paizo.

Despite my personal frustration with the GSL delay, I believe that WOTC cares about getting it to them as soon as possible. I give WOTC that grace, getting it to Paizo is intelligent business.

This might be a sign that they have it and are reading it this minute.

Wicht

Hero
Admiral Caine said:
That's possible Wicht, but I wouldn't have gone to this length for that specific announcement. I would have saved something of that magnitude for the BIG DECISION.

Recieving the GSL would not be enough to allow them to decide whether to go 4e. Erik was pretty clear, I thought, about saying he wanted to review the rules as well. Once they had recieved the GSL, they would have to decide whether to fork over the money and then and only then would they get the rules. I can't see all that happening in a single day.

I suspect they have not recieved the GSL and the absence of that document and the hard deadline for the 3rd AP is forcing them to come to some decisions about not just the 3rd AP but the rest of the year and the rest of their product line.

elijah snow

First Post
Admiral Caine said:
That's an interesting idea, but I don't see them having the resources to pull that off. They're already pulling 50 to 60 hour weeks now...

With a tip of the hat to Mark's post above, perhaps Necromancer becomes their exclusive 4.0e division and setting...

Kaodi

Hero
My (wild?) guess is that Paizo has been bought. The web site does say " taken over " . That could be literal.

The question then becomes, by who? Candidates could include Wizards of the Coast, White Wolf or possibly someone who is trying to buy in the system, seeing an opportunity in taking over the best 3rd party publisher in D&D.

krissbeth

First Post
*squee!* They're so CUTE!

I hope they kind of go systemless. Or 3.5. Just not straight 4E. That would make me frown.

Big Jake

First Post
Piratecat said:
I think I heard Erik saying something about "..ull suppo.. only fo.. ..unnies and Burr.." My wireless mike was getting some interference, though, so I can't confirm it.
Krull suppose only forty bunnies and Burritos?

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Wicht said:
That does seem to be a pretty wild guess.

Not really. I also wouldn't be surprised if they've been sued over something or hammered with a cease & desist, which is why they've shut down their entire site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads