• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo making a decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cintra

First Post
I think that, whatever else the Paizo folks might be doing, they're also surfing ENWorld right now to see if "it" is working.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Rauol_Duke said:
Huh???...

Paizo has a page that goes up when they're having technical problems or need to shut down the site for some unexpected reason (like getting sued... I guess). This page is an anticipation builder. It's special and it's up for a specific reason. :uhoh:

Color me skeptical. I just hope whatever happens that they're at least reasonably intact afterwards.

Big Jake

First Post
Everyone remember the countdown on WotC website for the big 4e announcement? I hope that their website doesn't crash for a few hours or days or whatever.

Rumors Amok!! Part 2

Cartoon Network and Paizo are partnering up to create the Goblins!! cartoon series. Genndy Tartakovsky has been chosen to head the series and the big decision is whether to go with Tartakovsky's preferred animation style (Samurai Jack, Clone Wars, but with some Kyle Hunter quirkiness thrown in) or to re-create Wayne Reynolds' style.

Other crazy thoughts? Come on, people, if you're going with wild speculation, go really wild!! :)

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
justinsluder said:
Can I join you in your dream? Seriously.

That is my hope too!

It's hardly an uncommon dream. At any rate, I really think that the page that's up may be an attempt to make light of something extremely bad. Being invaded by Golarion goblins is not at all pleasant.

Guennarr

First Post
I am probably as dumbfounded as everyone else here.

But reading the above postings in order to catch a glimpse of what might have befallen Paizo didn't really help me. If anything I just wondered about some really wild guesses which are really unlikely/ impossible.

I am not in the know about things there, but maybe I can shed some light and reveal some of the wildest guesses as the myths they (surely?) are.

1) The picture gives away any hints about persons/ companies:
In a very general way this might be true.
But before giving company names to the depicted critters please keep in mind. This picture is being taken from Pathfinder #1 which appeared 7 months ago! ;-)

2) Paizo being taken over by a competitor:
This possibility is really making me nervous. But on a second thought: Would Paizo allow anything like this to happen if they could prevent it? According to their replies their business is doing fine, Pathfinder sells well, and they already announced several new product lines derived from and extending on the setting.

3) A new setting by Paizo?
Real nonsense. I can't know for sure, but Paizo is still busily developing the "Pathfinder Chronicles" setting on the world of Golarion. They are working overtime all the time and barely manage to keep their existing schedule. As mentioned above their sales are good, and actually they just announced that GameMastery Modules will be rechristianed as Pathfinder Modules in summer. Doesn't sound as if they were in need of a new setting, does it?

4) Hint at a decision pro/ contra 4e:
certainly Paizo staff expressed a few days ago that they are very aware of the fact that tempers are running short in the Paizo message boards because people impatiently wait for a decision. Add the fact that according to Paizo the time for a decision already had run out (according to their original schedule).
On the other hand: As of end of last week they claimed to still not have received the GSL. And Paizo always stressed that they could only decide based on access to the GSL and extensive analysis of it.
Hhhmm... Lately a lot of people reported from their first hand experiences at D&D experience, so maybe they already did analyse the game for a while...

... which would perplex me: Paizo is known for their open and timely information policy.
It is very unlike Paizo to fall silent about such an important fact. It is even more unlikely that they would openly lie (stating that they didn't receive the GSL yet).

What is the strangest thing to me: If they wanted to announce a decision soon - Why would they shut down the whole site?! Keep in mind: Paizo site = online store, customer care boards, and other message boards (an essential part of the site).

5) Technical work on the site?
Most unlikely. They just added some new functionality to the site a few days ago.
And which company would shut down the site with such a message? Without any pre-information for customers?

6) Latest issues with behaviour and "censorship" in the message boars:
There were a lot of discussions about this topic (just during the last few days).
But why shut down the whole site (including shop, blog etc.)?

Really strange, I am feeling really perplexed.
But maybe someone else can make more sense of this.

At least some of the strangest rumours could be put to rest. ;-)

Cheers,
Günther

Rumors Amok!! Part 3

Alright last one...

The MPAA and FBI cracked down on the largest p2p distributor of bootleg anime, which unfortunately was Mike McArtor file sharing it all from Paizo servers. Once they saw what else Paizo was distributing (namely books filled with gore and violence plus work on a "secret project" involving "complex math equations"), they invoked the Patriot Act and shut the place down.

Ok, I'll stop now. No matter how much I want to post something about Paizo and WotC working out a licensing deal for a much sought after property in order to give it the Wayne Reynolds/Paizo make-over - namely
My Little Pony
. Really, I won't post anything about that.

Oops, too late.

GMSkarka

Explorer
Admiral Caine said:
Despite my personal frustration with the GSL delay, I believe that WOTC cares about getting it to them as soon as possible. I give WOTC that grace, getting it to Paizo is intelligent business.

This might be a sign that they have it and are reading it this minute.

I doubt that.

We're certainly not anywhere near the size or presence of Paizo, but we were one of the few publishers invited to participate in the pre-announcement conference call back in January, and I can tell you we haven't seen anything on the GSL yet.

I do not think they have the GSL.I do think that WOTC's heel dragging have forced them to make a call they do have deadlines after all.It has been said many times paizo can not do both 3.5 and 4e they just dont have the manpower or are they large enuff to take a hit from both markets. I'm hoping they go 3.5 I have no interest in 4e at all.

Wicht

Hero
Guennarr said:
1) The picture gives away any hints about persons/ companies:
In a very general way this might be true.
But before giving company names to the depicted critters please keep in mind. This picture is being taken from Pathfinder #1 which appeared 7 months ago! ;-)

Actually, I'm pretty sure that picture is from their new Chronicle's product on Monsters of Golarion. It's different from the picture that was on the cover of Burnt Offerings and though I only glanced at it, they had it on their blog just recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads