• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo making a decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavageRobby

First Post
Philomath said:
I was going to post some speculation about meaning behind the goblin message, but it would have been very wrong.

It seems my last 3.5 campaign may also be my last Pathfinder campaign.

Unless 4th Edition sucks.

I dunno. I don't play D&D at all anymore, and still buy their Pathfinder APs and their modules. Their stuff is so story based that they are tremendously easy to convert to whatever system (well, at least to Savage Worlds) - and if 4e is as easy to run as the Wizards folks say, then it shouldn't be a big deal to convert it. They're also looking at fan conversions and Necromancer to put out 4e stuff - so I bet you see official or semi-official conversions as well.

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Wow, this is a huge gamble for them. :\

I'll be curious to see if they'll offer a 4E conversion for their new Pathfinder stuff once the Fourth Edition Rules have been released (and it's legal to do so). They do have some conversions for True20 and Pathfinder over on their site.

I've only browsed through the Alpha rules (in the 20 minutes since its release) but it seems like there are some good ideas in there. I'm looking forward to a more in-depth exploration tonight.

I can understand the move to their own system though. It's getting pretty late for GenCon releases for 4th edition and their own messageboards are pretty vocal about wanting support for 3.x stuff.

I'm looking forward to checking it out!

Edit: Extra Apostrophe Removal

Last edited:

Clavis

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
WotC succeeded in a different market than TSR was playing in. WotC's success was in CCGs, not in a roleplaying system going head to head with D&D.

Well, now we're actually going to see just how strong the D&D branding is or isn't anymore.

If I was running Paizo, I would have made the same decision they did (to create a Pathfinder RPG based on the 3.5 SRD). That's why I suggested it as a possibility in this thread, although I had no way of knowing it was actually going to happen.

It seems like a major vote of "no confidence" in 4th Edition D&D. After all, this isn't some small indy press we're talking about.

This is going to get interesting....

Pseudopsyche

First Post
Nyarlathotep said:
I'll be curious to see if they'll offer a 4E conversion for their new Pathfinder stuff once the Fourth Edition Rules have been released (and it's legal to do so). They do have some conversions for True20 and Pathfinder over on their site.

The most recent Paizo blog entry indicates that they'll post fan conversions of their work.

Paizo said:
Paizo hopes to support 4th Edition with fan-created online conversions of its Pathfinder products and a complete line from its partner company, Necromancer Games, a trend-setter in the original Open Gaming movement. Necromancer has already announced a new 4th Edition version of their award-winning Tome of Horrors monster encyclopedia, and has plans for additional player and GM support products.

JeffB

Legend
Hee hee...I was right! :lol:

I'm excited for Paizo. I think this is a smart business decision that leaves them options/wiggle room in the future. And it's ballsy. And darnit, you gotta love it cos it shows ALOT of respect and appreciation for the fans and the spirit of the OGL.

I'm also excited to see it. I'm not a fan of 3.5 (too complex!), but I saw a couple things I liked in the free PDF, and the whole amount of time in the open playtest can only be a good thing. IF I end up being as disappointed in 4E as I think I will be from all the info released since DDXP, at least I'm gonna have a lot of goodies I can steal from PRPG for C&C or my 3.5 Basic Set "buildup" I'm considering.

Finally, as a life-long GH Fan, I 've always had alot of trust in Erik Mona cos I know in general he "gets" D&D the same way I do: He has a healthy respect for the original game, it's design themes, it's style of gameplay, and how it was influenced/came to be (witness: Planet Stories). Even when I was bent ouf shape because they were putting Poly In Dungeon mag or something else that pi$$ed me off , I always caved and gave him the benefit of the doubt :lol: Poor guy took so much CRAP over those mags, and always presented himself and the company as a class act. It was hard NOT to give him the benefit of the doubt! And the rest of the Paizo crew seems to be of the same mold as Erik. So I'll def be throwing some $ Paizo's way. Planet Stories has already got my interest, and I'll hafta take a closer look at the Pathfinder Adventures and whatnot (admittedly, I find the naming conventions/line of products a little confusing-or perhaps it's the layout of the website)

Anyhoo congrats to Paizo, and to all of you folks who love and are sticking with 3.5: Paizo is doing you a GREAT service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads