• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

MadMaxim

First Post
Oh, brother... This seriously sucks. I mostly bought Dragon Magazine for a lot of the crunch, but now that Paizo will have to do everything under OGC there are just so many things that are going to be shut out. I liked it as a magazine. I don't need 90 page softcover books. I need a magazine (I can handle the ads). Still, I hope Paizo will have continued success in the industry.

I haven't been playing D&D for more than 4 years, so I don't feel that close to the magazines as some of the others around here. That doesn't stop me from saying that it was a couple of great magazines and I'm sad that they'll go away. Wizards of the Coast will never be able to uphold that legacy through some online magazine... :(

FickleGM

Explorer
MrFilthyIke said:
Heh, we think alike. This could be the thing that causes me to cease D&D for a bit.

Cthulhu's been calling a lot these days, leaving messages, asking why I don't return his calls...

;)
I'm thinking about trying out the older version of D&D that diaglo is always going on about...but yeah, this doesn't make me want to keep playing the current version or buy anything from them again.

Masquerade

First Post
sckeener said:
Many of us did the moment we had to take an online survey from WotC asking us if we'd pay for online articles.

I could see that.

I never imagined that they would abruptly end their(/Paizo's) long-successful magazine lines in favor of what is, as I see it, a marketing experiment.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hobo said:
Yeah, good luck with that. Clearly WotC are looking for ways to scrape the bottom of the barrel to make D&D maintain profitability. Mark my words; in a few years when D&D is a moribund trademark languishing unused in a Hasbro warehouse somewhere and we're all just buying scraps from cottage industry pdf publishers on the OGL and d20 license, we'll look back and say this was the beginning of the end.
No, it won't be. Worst case scenario, Hasbro sells it off to someone else while it's still valuable and the brand is reimagined, depending on who buys it. It could reappear as anything from a roleplaying game to a better MMORPG to a brand of cereal.

Internationally known properties don't ever languish while there's still value in them. Look at how many movies have been made from old TV shows and the like.

MarkAHart

Explorer
An unfortunate decision by Wizards, a very sad day for the hobby, and the end of an era. I started reading DRAGON with #42, and DUNGEON with #1.

Congratulations to Erik, James, Mike, Wesley, Jason, and everyone else at Paizo who has done such a marvelous job on the two magazines these past few years. Talk about going out on a high note!

This situation seems most unfortunate for those writers interested in freelancing for the RPG industry. For many years, DRAGON and DUNGEON represented the best route for getting published, getting paid, and getting noticed. With both of these outlets gone, I have to wonder what -- if anything -- will take the place of these venerable magazines. Seeing your name and your work in print is a thrill indeed, and this announcement points to that event being far less likely from now on.

Regardless, a toast to DRAGON and DUNGEON, and all those who have contributed to the magazines and brought them to print all these decades.

Belen said:
Why should I care if it hurts D&D? This decision only made me realize that I don't care about a D&D published by WOTC any longer.
That's the way to go, Belen. If we want to really show WotC what we think of this, we should orchestrate a mass exodus from D&D to RuneQuest or something. Nothing works so well as a good online organized boycott.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Razz said:
As would I, but unless everyone here plans on rallying and busting down the doors to Hasbro/WotC about this then I suggest for people to do the next best thing and see what this online e-zine has to offer.
This is where we disagree. For me that isn't the next best thing.

The next best thing is the Paizo Pathfinder magazine, printed on real paper, and if that isn't for me then I'll save some money I guess.

I'll carry on buying WOTC D&D books, but Website subscription - No thanks.

morbiczer

First Post
I can't even begin to express how sad I'm about this.

I'm a realtive newcomer to Dragon and Dungeon, I started to buy Dragon with issue 299, and Dungeon when they had to issue with the Dungeon content. God, was it terriblly difficult to get my hands on the magazines here because of the sorry shop that substitutes for an FLGS here. When I left university and got a regular income, I immediatly subscribed to both.

I stoppped active gaming two years ago (no time, no good people to play with, didn't want to DM anymore), but Dragon and Dungeon kept me connected to the gaming world. That's gone now. The days Dragon or Dungeon arrived in my mail box were always among the highlights of the month for me.

I feel especially sad for Dragon. You'll be able to find substitutes for Dungeon more easily (Pathfinder, WotC adventures, etc.), but for Dragon?

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I simply can't imagine any online content giving the same to me as a printed product. I always read Dragon and Dungeon on the bus while commuting to work. I'm sitting in front of the computer in my office the whole day, I have no real intention of spending yet more time staring at a monitor. Printing out all the stuff (especially in color) is simply no option, my name is not Rockefeller (or Gates).

Hopefully this is not a glimpse of the future. Hopefully there will still be published books and newspapers when I'm 80 years old in 50 years time.

PS. Deep in my heart I still hope this is a late April Fool's joke.

Remove ads