• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

Mr Vergee

First Post
For me, Dungeon magazine was the heart of my D&D world. Wizards just cut it out. Way to go , guys! Of all the stupid and frustrating marketing based decisions you've made, this one tops it all. I just wonder what great idea you'll come up with next.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
The cost of Pathfinder issues alone will cause me to be unable to buy it. I rolled the remainder of my Dragon subscription over to receive the first 3 volumes of Pathfinder, but after that, I'll be S.O.L. for regular doses of new content for my games.

Allanon

Explorer
DungeonmasterCal said:
The cost of Pathfinder issues alone will cause me to be unable to buy it. I rolled the remainder of my Dragon subscription over to receive the first 3 volumes of Pathfinder, but after that, I'll be S.O.L. for regular doses of new content for my games.
As long as Pathfinder really gives me new content to use in my games (crunch as one would call it) I can see myself stepping away from buying WotC products and instead spending that money on a Pathfinder subscription. But it's a big IF.

But man do I feel bummed out. I've been a longtime buyer of Dungeon and recently purchased a subscription. I'm going to miss things like the mailbag, editorials, etc which made Dungeon a real magazine. Pathfinder will probably continue giving us great content but it won't have that toilet reading appeal of a real magazine. Besides without Dungeon the increase in prep time alone will force me rethink running two campaigns with two seperate groups. Either they'll both have to run the same adventures (or adventure paths) or I'll be forced to scuttle one of the sessions in favor of providing well prepped adventures for the other. :(

For what it's worth I hope that Pathfinder will become the defacto standard in adventures (and thus market leader), forcing WotC to grant Paizo a new license for their IP (with better terms this time) and thus giving us Dungeon and Dragon back... only better and with more creative freedom for the people at Paizo.
I can see it now... :(

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
I think this could be a very good move for people that live in countries/states/provinces/areas etc where these magazines are hard to get hold of, or often impossible.

And some people don't have the money for a subscription, or the country in which they live these subscriptions could prove difficult to reach them, or impossible. And some people travel a lot, so doesn't have a specific, consistent place to have their subscription delivered to.

But it is easier to get on the Internet somehow, from anywhere, anytime, in the world.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
It's not a 20 dollar mag so much as a 20 dollar investment. :p

Baby Samurai,

Sure...it's easy to get the internet in the Sudan... :p

Mark Hope

Adventurer
In the midst of catching up on this thread this morning (Nightfall, do you never sleep?? :lol: ) and the postman arrived at the door with a big package from Paizo containing some stuff I had ordered a short while ago (Deck of Many Things, Gamers Director's Cut DVD, Tome of Artifacts). The Combat Pad that I had ordered wasn't included (it's apparently on back order) but lying in the top of the box was a free Item Cards booster. Free!

Paizo, you guys are all class. It was just another reminder as to why you have the fanbase that you do. So I went and ordered a bunch more Gamemastery stuff right away :D. You're smart people, decent people and you have my gratitude and my support. Keep it up!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
If D&D is obscure, then it must not be that important to care about why people are angry about it.

Trust me, you might think it's good. But the vast majority cares enough to see what it means.

Monte Cook, the guy who WROTE 3.0, knew and hoped that using Dragon was a good way to get people's attention. Same was true with 3.5. It helped and people carried on.

Now what, we just wait for WotC to drop a bomb and then say "Oh yeah it's good?" Sorry. Don't see it working out.

Mark,

It's Friday and it's nearing finals. So no. Btw Mark, you will LOVE Tome of Artifacts. God knows I do.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
Mark,

It's Friday and it's nearing finals. So no.
Heh. Sleep is for the weak!

Btw Mark, you will LOVE Tome of Artifacts. God knows I do.
It looks great. Man, it's huuuuge!!

I can think of few better partnerships than Paizo and Necro (maybe Malhavoc, if they were still in the biz). Looking at things in the fresh light of day, I am thinking that this may prove to be something of a new age in d20 gaming. WotC's releases have been somewhat formulaic of late, whereas Paizo and Necro are innovators without compare. Damn shame about the magazines, really is, but cutting loose from the shackles of The Man may not be such a bad thing in the end...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads