• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

morbiczer

First Post
I subscribed a year and a half ago to both magazines, and I had never any problems getting them. Some where a little late, but than it was a general problem affecting all subscribers.

I live in Hungary.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Well I log onto the site today and find this out. Well this sucks, the Demonomicon articles are now probably dead. :(

Why do you think it wouldn't just continue into the new format?

TheLostSoul

Explorer
Maggan said:
Stockholm. Capital of Sweden.

EDIT: :D of course. There seems to be some guy swiping a lot of the Dungeons and Dragons going to Europe. Paizo kept sending them, and they didn't arrive, so I assume they got stolen on the way.

/M

There was a period of about three to six months a few years back when Dragon and Dungeon didn't really arrive in stores in Copenhagen, Denmark. I was told it was due to distributer problems. It also affected private subscribers. I have found that the European importers and distributers are often the cause when products have trouble reaching the stores. Whether it is due to incompetence or other factors, I do not know.

I have also found that this problem is even more pronounced when it comes to metal-music importers and distributers in DK. Often the importers/distributers are themselves part of the subculture they work with and so, might have more passion than competence. No offence, but that is what my experience has shown me. But at least someone is willing to do the job...

Agamon

Adventurer
Mistwell said:
Why do you think it wouldn't just continue into the new format?

Because after all of this, WotC doesn't want to look like a Paizo wannabe? They might have the same type of content, but I seriously doubt it will be the exact same content. They'll do things their way. If we've learned anything from this, it's that.

Destil

Explorer
occam said:
Speaking on Dungeon particularly, there goes the best deal in adventure gaming. And we also lose some unique benefits of its adventure format. One of the great strengths of Dungeon was its publication of multiple shorter adventures. Being easier to write than the full-sized standalone or campaign-length adventures Paizo will be doing now, the format allowed for the discovery of great freelance talent over the years. Many, if not most, of today's best adventure designers started in Dungeon magazine. How will those new talents be discovered now? I don't believe online distribution of shorter adventures will generate the exposure of a single industry-wide print publication, and which may be crucial to honing such talent on a demanding stage.

The shorter format also allowed for experimentation that longer formats don't support, I believe. Could you imagine someone publishing full-sized versions of adventures such as "Diplomacy", "Swords of Dragonslake", the "Challenge of Champions" series, "Siege of the Spider Eaters", "The Palace of Plenty", "The Coming Storm", "The Prince of Redhand", "The Obsidian Eye", or "Box of Flumph", to name some from the last few years? Even if someone published a full-sized adventure with elements similar to those in the aforementioned scenarios, it'd be more expensive, and you wouldn't get the thrill of two MORE adventures of totally different styles.

Finally, with no magazine carrying the imprimatur of "Official D&D" from WotC, there go all your Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Kara-Tur, Planescape, and other adventures, except for those that might be published by WotC itself.
Occam summed up my own concerns about this very well.

The digital thing could be very good, and it's something that wizards as a whole seems to be suddenly embracing all of a sudden (something I haven't really seen mentioned here): the ex-head of Magic R&D was just moved into a VP for this sort of thing position if memory serves. It goes far beyond D&D.

Sammael

Adventurer
Maggan said:
Stockholm. Capital of Sweden.
That's just bizarre. I've yet to miss an issue of my Dragon subscription, and I live in Belgrade, capital of Serbia - a country in which mail is, oh, a billion times more likely to be lost, stolen, misplaced, destroyed, and so on, than in Sweden.

PallidPatience

First Post
Nightfall said:
I'm saying it will depend on both sides to make it work in my book. But that's just me.

Not many people on the consumer side will WANT to cooperate to make it work after this. That's like helping the guy who just punched you in the face carry your coffee table outside and put it in his truck. No thanks.

I'm pissed. I'm depressed. I only just started subscribing, but every time I'd open my mailbox and pull out my copy of Dragon, it was like Christmas. :):):):) this.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Sammael said:
That's just bizarre. I've yet to miss an issue of my Dragon subscription, and I live in Belgrade, capital of Serbia - a country in which mail is, oh, a billion times more likely to be lost, stolen, misplaced, destroyed, and so on, than in Sweden.

Isn't that on their license plates? ;)

Remove ads