• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

The Hound

Explorer
Does this mean that the only general RPG related monthly dead tree magazine to remain standing will be KODT? Is there anything else out there? Paizo ssays that this "Pathfinder" thing will be "book" not a magazine.

BTW whatever happened to Enworld's magazine?

Vigilance

Explorer
Olaf the Stout said:
Vigilant even? ;) :D

Olaf the Stout

One should always be vigilant.

Especially since there are commie pinko traitors around who need to be hauled before HUAC and forced to NAME NAMES.

At least, that's the word on the street.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Sholari said:
Is this an example of what WOTC's online content is going to be like?

http://wizo.wizards.com/ka/

Presumably people will be paid for the new stuff. KA has had some nice things, but all the writers are doing it on a volunteer basis, which would make an online replacement for Dragon/Dungeon impossible if it was still being produced as a free thing by volunteer writers. I've got something else submitted to KA for one of the next issues or so, but I'm just a nice guy. ;)

Sholari

First Post
Shemeska said:
Presumably people will be paid for the new stuff. KA has had some nice things, but all the writers are doing it on a volunteer basis, which would make an online replacement for Dragon/Dungeon impossible if it was still being produced as a free thing by volunteer writers. I've got something else submitted to KA for one of the next issues or so, but I'm just a nice guy. ;)

My bad. I thought it was a preview of new content. I'm going to listen to Nightfall's advice at this point and just wait until I hear what WOTC has to say. I read some of the stuff on Circus Maximus and it has given me some perspective on this. At this point I'm willing to take a chill pill, listen to what is being said, and take my own personal three day moratorium on posting.

Last edited:

joshhg

First Post
Mistwell said:
Mike Mearls made a brief comment about this issue over at Circvs Maximvs:

http://www.circvsmaximvs.com/showpost.php?p=338248&postcount=128

If you cannot read it, you should make an account at CM. It's the official off-topic forum for this board, so quit being lazy and check it out.

Mr. Mearls raises a good point there. Part of the reason I was such a big Dragon fan was because I read the comments of Mr. Jacobs and Mr. Mona. I hear what they are thinking, and read the decisions on some of my favorite articles. Same with many of the authors of the articles. There is a "human" connection, even though it is over the internet.

You see, the first reaction I had was a bit. . . rude. But when I got over that, I wanted to know what Paizo was going to do. Because I trust them more than the "official" status. I want a company I trust writing my purchases, and Paizo has delivered that. I'm going to try Pathfinder and the WotC e-zine. But I think I'm only going to stick with one. But real live paper and enworked trust are going to be hard to beat.

Still hate this move, and I wish Paizo would do their own Dragon-esce mag. But hey, who knows, maybe it'll work out for the best. But WotC will have to work their butts off to get to Mona's and Jacobs' level.

ashockney

First Post
Heh, heh

Ok, quite late to the party.

This week, I've been reading through 30+ pages of this thread and catching up on details.

I got the ole' punch in the gut. I tried to explain it to my family of non-gamers. It's a big deal. Yeah, whatever.

To me, Dragon and Dungeon, were the great differentiator. In seventh and eigth grade, I would travel to work with my Dad in the summers and make copiers (10 cents a page) at his mammoth xerox copy machines so that I could pool all the "best" articles from Dragon I could find. I wanted to be a better DM, and Dragon gave me the confidence to do that. I loved being on the inside track, as many of these articles were written by a guy named Greenwood, when a little thing called the Forgotten Realms was published. I have many great memories of reading (and stealing) things from right out of Dragon Magazine, and it's amazing cover art. After seeing the incredible "chess piece" covers, who hasn't DM'd at least one chess-board battle? I was so proud to have been published (albeit only a lame Forum letter). I've been working on a module for publication in Dungeon for almost six months now. How very, very disappointing.

Farewell, old friends.

So, I'm standing around with my pitchfork and my torch, wondering what to set on fire, but I keep reading. Low and behold, Paizo looks like they're coming out pretty good on this. I'm looking forward to Pathfinder, that should be sweet. I've certainly been quite impressed with their adventure path series. Rouse! That's the one I'll burn! Then Wizards posts their "memories". Ok, that's amazing. I know I'm NOWHERE near as sad as those dudes. I'm sure they're going to let ROUSE have it 100 times worse then I will. And they sit next to him. All day. Sweet.

(Extinguishes torch, casually tosses pitchfork back in shed)

Hmmmm...

What in the hell is going on? What could possibly be Wizards' plan that's so grand, that it would MAKE SENSE to CANCEL Dungeon and Dragon magazine. I start looking around at my own life for answers. Oh, here's a stack of Dragon Magazines from the last year. I'm flipping through, and you know what, I barely touched these. I loved getting them, but I certainly didn't spend much time reading them. Not like I used to. Dungeon, now these I've been pooring over lately, but mostly because I was hoping to write an adventure for publication. The last time I ran an adventure out of Dungeon magazine was well over a year ago. Not because I don't want to, but simply limits on time. I send an email out to all my gamer friends, bemoaning the end of an "era". It only garners one response, from the OTHER gamer friend who actually subscribes, but just to Dragon. Out of about 12 guys who I've grown up with, all playing D&D for 10 - 20 years, I realize I was the only one to regularly subscribe to Dungeon and Dragon magazine. Then I think about where I've gotten most of my gaming info lately. Since the beginning of third edition, well, I'm sure I don't have to tell you, it's been right here. I've kept coming back, day after day, week after week, for the best, most current, most thought out, and most community driven feedback on the game I've loved. I wouldn't have it any other way. So, I've come to one simple conclusion:

THIS IS ALL ERIC NOAH'S FAULT!!!!!!!

(picks up pitchfork, re-lights torch, musters evil grin on face...)

I've got some work to do!

Odhanan

Adventurer
Crothian said:
You know, I've been punched it the face and I have to say that was a heck of a lot worse then this. And more people on the consumer side will eventually cooperate. In the end people will because they like D&D and this will just become a historic foot note with old timers saying "Remember when..."

I too have been punched in the face, and I feel what's happening now is much worse than this. A punch hurts. Physically. Then there's a bit a shame because, well, you've taken a punch in the face.

What's happening is heartbreaking to me. I feel this crisis is special. Sure, you may be the one that's going to be right in the end, but right now, I can tell you I don't want to "cooperate" as you put it. At all.

Thurbane

First Post
Knowledge Arcana and similar publications (Poor Gamer's Almanac etc.) are good sources of material, but it would take something much more substantial than this to convince me to buy anything online, and to convince me that scrapping the mags was a good move.

Note: not knocking KA or PGA here, both are great in their own right, and I have used material from both in my game. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads