• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo selling WoTC books

Edgewood

First Post
Is it just me or does anyone else find it a bit odd that WoTC books are sold on Paizo's website? I mean, I know that it's a store (which came first before Pathfinder and the creation of their own RPG), and that they started out by selling their product in the first place but isn't it just a touch bizarre?

I'm pretty sure that if I head over to the WoTC site, I wouldn't be able to purchase any Pathfinder Adventure Paths or the Pathfinder RPG. Isn't Paizo sort of competing against themselves by doing this? And if not, then why don't other RPG companies sell their competitor's product on their websites? Of course WoTC doesn't allow one to purchase direct from them but still.

Just wondering is all....

Aus_Snow

First Post
No.

It's a RPG store, so they sell RPGs. It's not just WotC "competing against them" (*snort*). Look at all those other companies, all those other game lines! Aiiieee!!!

No, I'm pretty sure it's simply a little extra income. No drama.

edit --- And if some folks buy WotC stuff from there instead of elsewhere, they've gained.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Some publishers have little stores set up to their stuff directly, but that is not what Paizo is doing. They are trying to act like a Friendly Local Game Store on the internet. It makes sense for them to sell RPGs from Wizards, Whitewolf, Green Ronin, and all the rest.

Last weekend I played in a space owned by Fantasy Flight Games that only sold FFG produces. If they'd sold anything for D&D I probably would have bought something, but they didn't so I passed.

What's Paizo got to lose? It's not like someone's going to go to their site and say "Whoah! I was planning to buy Pathfinder, but screw that! They're selling D&D, so I'm getting that instead!"

People who are going to buy D&D books are going to buy D&D books. If Paizo didn't sell them, Paizo's customers would just buy them somewhere else. This way, Paizo makes money off it.

Plus, despite what some on the net would have you believe ;), lots of people buy both. This way, if they're at Paizo getting PF stuff anyway, they might also pick up their D&D stuff there, rather than elsewhere. Which means Paizo makes even more sales.

It's just common sense for any company that has a storefront for more than their own products.

lkjopajdowma

Explorer
This type of situation exists in other entertainment sectors as well, it's just a way for the company (Paizo) to make more money.

Valve Software runs Steam which is a digital distribution platform for their PC games, as well as nearly every other new PC game coming to market from various publishers and development studios.

Many independent record labels have online stores that include releases from other record labels, too.

Remove ads