Paladin behavior question

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
So let's ignore the deal - let's assume they came across first the town, then the staked-out witch. She is evil, and he can detect evil. is it OK to cut her down? Is it mandatory?

They should not have been in the position of coming back to find her in any way...she should have been dead in the first place and/or no deal made so they would have had no reason to go back. Is what mandatory? Killing her because she's an evil half-ogre wizardess with a bunch of ogres doing her bidding/at her disposal? I would say so.

No deals with evil beings. How does one accomplish that when there may be perfectly law-abiding, but evil, members of the nobility, merchants, etc. in the civilized world?

Easy. Don't have dealings with them either. You can't cut them down in the street because some evil noble goes by in a carriage or an evil merchant is conducting their business...Lawful [for most player race societies, I'd wager] AND Good says you can't go around killing people for no reason...You have to be Lawful and Good. Nobody said being a paladin was easy. It's not/never was supposed to be.

Pretty much every mythological pantheon has at least one Evil member - I guess no deities can maintain Paladin levels as they make deals with evil Pantheon members.

Because there's some evil member of the pantheon, who says they've made deals with them...or had any part or say in their creation? How 'bout divine beings recognize the existence of Evil as a part of creation (whether they fight against it or not) and the existence of deities that handle/control/further those evils are either a) necessary to the balance of the universe or b) to be fought/destroyed...but they just can't/don't have the power as much as they'd like to...or there's some cosmic law against it or the rules are just different for Gods than mortals...or...or...or...

I'm not sure what the point of this statement is.

Now, if the game world is designed around the presumption that the Paladin may never compromise with an evil being, and we make Evil with a capital 'E', not just a selfish merchant, this could work in a given game. However, it would mean building in an option in any scenario for an action acceptable to the Paladin to be successful. The Paladin's Dilemma, where no action satisfies the requirements imposed on the Paladin exists (eg. you must obey all laws of the land, and slay evil wherever you find it - that guy is evil so killing him would be murder and sparing him allows evil to live, so you lose your Paladin status whatever you do) should not be present. That may describe your game world - the possibility is why I note we need background on the specific game.

I'm not suggesting anything of the kind. This isn't some evil merchant going about his day to day...this is a half-ogress villain with (we are given to understand) a known history of wicked acts and a future intention for further evil...following this year and a day of [let's call it] "truce" deal. Even as a source of obvious evil, YOU [the paladin] can't strike her down while she's helpless/tied up...I am certain there were other PCs who would not have such qualms...and, really, you should have stopped them too.

It's always amazing when GM's complain that their players not following the standards of the genre (eg. the Paladin compromises his moral code; the starship captain is unwilling to sacrifice himself for his crew; the Superhero never exercises restraint - numerous examples exist across all genres), but don't recognize that those genre standards also include success coming from following those standards (the Paladin's mercy is repaid with loyalty, not betrayal; the Captain finds a way to win after surrendering himself to the enemy to protect his crew; the Superhero's restraint is not followed by a gleeful cackle as the enemy knocks him out with one blow, or slaughters an innocent bystander). Paladins are a fantastic example - if the game world is stacked against him, just tell the players "no Paladins in this game" rather than grinding them into the dirt through a world where abiding by their principals will always mean failure, if it is possible at all.

You are the paladin. You are the shining example of how others (and the world) SHOULD behave (as dictated by your deity). Abiding by your principles is WHAT YOU DO as much as, if not more than, swinging a sword at evil! It is what makes you a paladin and not just another guy with a sword fighting evil. What is expedient doesn't matter. What is convenient or easy doesn't matter. What is RIGHT (as defined by your god's dogma/codes of conduct) matters!

SIMULTANEOUSLY, that doesn't mean what is "right" in a given situation/set of circumstances is automatically the same across the board (that's really for the Lawful Neutral ;) ). The "What about the evil law-abiding merchant?" should be the same as "What about the evil ogress we made a deal with?" argument is the typical reductio ad absurdum that leads to "Lawful Stupid" and used for decades to justify non-lawful paladins.

In what way is "abiding by their principles" leading to "failure" in this case? They are failing because they are NOT abiding by their principles. Abiding by their principles would have been a) NOT making deal with an creature you know to be evil and b) not slaying a bound/helpless captive.

BOTH of those things were not abiding by [fairly basically understood in most worlds, I would think] guidelines of their principles. In fairness, players who want to be paladins in my games are given firm guidelines and understand the risks and that they are incredibly rare in the world, in general. We do not know what the case is in this particular game and, as I have said in both of my posts, my rulings would be how it applies to my table.

The argument, "I can justify my Paladin's actions [any way I want] with this little bit of mental gymnastics" will never fly at my table and if you want it to, then don't come to my table. It's that simple. My players know it. They don't mind. I will note, that though paladin characters have been few and far between over the years, I've never actually had one "fall."

[*sigh* I adore paladin threads. :p ]

Last edited:

tvknight415

Explorer
I don't have a problem with the deal, as it protects the villagers.

However, summary execution of the Ogress, with zero investigation of her claim, kiss paladinhood goodbye. The split within the ogre tribe is plausible, as is the revolt, and the Ogress being tied up is evidence to support her version. Unless the law specifically instructed all ogres killed on sight, or the group had evidence of subterfuge on her part, the killing was unjust.

This is coming from a player who enjoys playing paladins with a group that sonetimes plays morally ambiguous PCs, so i understand needing to be flexible with the paladin code to not make a problem between players. That crossed the line (that would cross the line for our groups' morally ambiguous PCs too).

N'raac

First Post
They should not have been in the position of coming back to find her in any way...she should have been dead in the first place and/or no deal made so they would have had no reason to go back. Is what mandatory? Killing her because she's an evil half-ogre wizardess with a bunch of ogres doing her bidding/at her disposal? I would say so.

My hypothetical situation removes the sword, the deal and the previous meeting. They have never been to the town before - they just come across the same destroyed town and, investigating, find the staked-out half ogress. Detection of Evil reveals she is Evil. Can the Paladin choose to kill her? Can he choose not to?

Because there's some evil member of the pantheon, who says they've made deals with them...or had any part or say in their creation? How 'bout divine beings recognize the existence of Evil as a part of creation (whether they fight against it or not) and the existence of deities that handle/control/further those evils are either a) necessary to the balance of the universe or b) to be fought/destroyed...but they just can't/don't have the power as much as they'd like to...or there's some cosmic law against it or the rules are just different for Gods than mortals...or...or...or...

Zeus (hardly a Paladin) agreed to share power, and Hades drew the underworld. Athena (an LG, I would suggest) puts up with her brother, Ares, despite opposing most of his schemes. If the Greatest Good for the Greatest Number demands a deal, can an LG character reasonably refuse to deal? If the Deities recognize they must compromise on occasion, holding their followers to a markedly higher standard seems like something Chaotic and Evil deities might do, much more than virtuous, fair-minded deities.

this is a half-ogress villain with (we are given to understand) a known history of wicked acts and a future intention for further evil...following this year and a day of [let's call it] "truce" deal. Even as a source of obvious evil, YOU [the paladin] can't strike her down while she's helpless/tied up...I am certain there were other PCs who would not have such qualms...and, really, you should have stopped them too.

I think I mentioned knowledge of prior evil deeds as a mitigating factor that can explain the Paladin striking her down. Are those evil deeds known, with certainty, to have been undertaken by her, or are they rumour? Here, I am not versed in the campaign lore, so I don't know.

As a "source of obvious evil", it seems that the Paladin can and should strike her down. Again, you have not told us what he SHOULD have done, only a long list of things he ought not to have done, and "A Paladin has a tough road to travel". We do seem to agree that, if it's wrong for him to strike her down, it's just as wrong to let someone else do so while his back is conveniently turned.

Assuming the moral code of the Paladin is such that he must not strike down a helpless opponent, what does that mean to a villainous Orc which has fallen to a Colour Spray? Can he strike it, or must he await its recovery? Is he required to take positive action? Must he seek to bind the wounds of fallen foes, or can he let them bleed out? To the half ogress specifically, is it OK to walk away and expect she will eventually starve to death? A deal for her freedom is, from your comments, out of the question - no deals with the Evil. Guess that means he can't buy the freedom of a slave from an evil slavemaster either.

You are the paladin. You are the shining example of how others (and the world) SHOULD behave (as dictated by your deity). Abiding by your principles is WHAT YOU DO as much as, if not more than, swinging a sword at evil! It is what makes you a paladin and not just another guy with a sword fighting evil. What is expedient doesn't matter. What is convenient or easy doesn't matter. What is RIGHT (as defined by your god's dogma/codes of conduct) matters!

SIMULTANEOUSLY, that doesn't mean what is "right" in a given situation/set of circumstances is automatically the same across the board (that's really for the Lawful Neutral ;) ). The "What about the evil law-abiding merchant?" should be the same as "What about the evil ogress we made a deal with?" argument is the typical reductio ad absurdum that leads to "Lawful Stupid" and used for decades to justify non-lawful paladins.

Absolutely. The Paladin is a shining beacon of Heroism. That Heroism should be capable of success, or we are not really playing in a Heroic game any more. If the intent was a non-heroic game where shades of grey rule, then we should just say "no paladins" as they will soon be fallen paladins or deceased paladins - which really makes them come off as "Lawful Stupid". That's clearly not the case in your game - the fact no Paladin PCs have fallen before makes that obvious.

In what way is "abiding by their principles" leading to "failure" in this case? They are failing because they are NOT abiding by their principles. Abiding by their principles would have been a) NOT making deal with an creature you know to be evil and b) not slaying a bound/helpless captive.

A good question - one to which the answers depend on background we do not have. What were the options when the deal was struck? I suspect the Paladin did not have the power then that he has now. If his choices were to walk away and let the town be destroyed, or throw himself (and his friends) against an unbeatable foe (so she gets the sword and destroys the town anyway), was one of those the right choice? I would hope that, in your game (where the ground rules are laid out more clearly, from your comments), the Paladin would not be left between choosing those two outcomes, or losing his Paladinhood by making a deal.

The argument, "I can justify my Paladin's actions [any way I want] with this little bit of mental gymnastics" will never fly at my table and if you want it to, then don't come to my table. It's that simple. My players know it. They don't mind. I will note, that though paladin characters have been few and far between over the years, I've never actually had one "fall."

[*sigh* I adore paladin threads. :p ]

btw, why just the Paladin? Why not another LG character? The consequences are not as severe, but the requirement of the Paladin is to remain LG and not commit a wilful Evil act. If he has not done the latter (which would mean "Paladinhood gone", not "six weeks to atone"), then would his actions have equally significant consequences for, say, a divine spellcaster? Would they push an LG character along the road to an alignment change? I'm curious in this regard - some tables certainly treat the Paladin as not just LG, but the upper left corner of LG in the alignment diagram.

I don't have a problem with the deal, as it protects the villagers.

However, summary execution of the Ogress, with zero investigation of her claim, kiss paladinhood goodbye. The split within the ogre tribe is plausible, as is the revolt, and the Ogress being tied up is evidence to support her version. Unless the law specifically instructed all ogres killed on sight, or the group had evidence of subterfuge on her part, the killing was unjust.

This is coming from a player who enjoys playing paladins with a group that sonetimes plays morally ambiguous PCs, so i understand needing to be flexible with the paladin code to not make a problem between players. That crossed the line (that would cross the line for our groups' morally ambiguous PCs too).

I come back to the original post, as well as steeldragons' comment about past crimes. Can she be executed if her guilt in those past crimes is certain, and those crimes would justify her execution? Should she be so executed? Does it depend on whether this is a Paladin of Tyr, stern Norse god of Justice, or of a deity of mercy and forgiveness? Or should we take her back to town to face trial (knowing full well how fair a trial a half ogre is likely to get, especially one with a reputation for being an evil sorceress)?

I'm coming back to "what does the campaign say" - steeldragons campaign/culture seems pretty well defined, but I think Whizbang needs to decide (alone or with the players) how it is defined in his game. Practically, if the decision (or consensus) is that the actions of the Paladin were incompatible with Paladinhood, then a retcon should be permitted, since no one seems to have known what those requirements were.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's always amazing when GM's complain that their players not following the standards of the genre (eg. the Paladin compromises his moral code; the starship captain is unwilling to sacrifice himself for his crew; the Superhero never exercises restraint - numerous examples exist across all genres), but don't recognize that those genre standards also include success coming from following those standards (the Paladin's mercy is repaid with loyalty, not betrayal; the Captain finds a way to win after surrendering himself to the enemy to protect his crew; the Superhero's restraint is not followed by a gleeful cackle as the enemy knocks him out with one blow, or slaughters an innocent bystander). Paladins are a fantastic example - if the game world is stacked against him, just tell the players "no Paladins in this game" rather than grinding them into the dirt through a world where abiding by their principals will always mean failure, if it is possible at all.
That's not this game. ;)

He's been playing this paladin for nine years, and while there's been a fair amount of church politics and debate between various groups of paladins, there's never been a time where his god said "you, you're a fighter." (In fact, one of the other player characters is actually a fighter who is a fallen paladin, although that was a character choice and background story that happened before our very first game.)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
My hypothetical situation removes the sword, the deal and the previous meeting. They have never been to the town before - they just come across the same destroyed town and, investigating, find the staked-out half ogress. Detection of Evil reveals she is Evil. Can the Paladin choose to kill her? Can he choose not to?

I would say, in the proposed hypothetical, that he should choose not to because she is tied up...says she didn't do it...and by this scenario have knowledge or proof of the contrary other than his divine sense. Until she does something/the paladin has proof of her wrong doing...he can't jsut kill her. For all they know, in this scenario, she was their captive/prisoner.

Zeus (hardly a Paladin) agreed to share power, and Hades drew the underworld. Athena (an LG, I would suggest) puts up with her brother, Ares, despite opposing most of his schemes. If the Greatest Good for the Greatest Number demands a deal, can an LG character reasonably refuse to deal?

If that is criteria, then no they can not reasonably refuse because the deal gets them "the greatest good for the greatest number" (though I would submit this leans toward Neutral Good and not the summation of a definition for "Lawful Good").

If the Deities recognize they must compromise on occasion, holding their followers to a markedly higher standard seems like something Chaotic and Evil deities might do, much more than virtuous, fair-minded deities.

I'd suppose so...still not understanding the relevance here and wouldn't hold deities and mortals to same standards.

I think I mentioned knowledge of prior evil deeds as a mitigating factor that can explain the Paladin striking her down. Are those evil deeds known, with certainty, to have been undertaken by her, or are they rumour? Here, I am not versed in the campaign lore, so I don't know.

True. Me neither.

As a "source of obvious evil", it seems that the Paladin can and should strike her down.

If she is bound, he can't...and if she is bound, theoretically, her evil has been conquered/squashed. She is no threat.

Again, you have not told us what he SHOULD have done, only a long list of things he ought not to have done, and "A Paladin has a tough road to travel".

Yes. Becaue he did not do what he should have done, hence the penalties should begin to commence.

We do seem to agree that, if it's wrong for him to strike her down, it's just as wrong to let someone else do so while his back is conveniently turned.

Whee! Agreement in paladin threads is a rare and beautiful thing. Makes me happy. :D

Assuming the moral code of the Paladin is such that he must not strike down a helpless opponent, what does that mean to a villainous Orc which has fallen to a Colour Spray? Can he strike it, or must he await its recovery?

The paladin should not, no...and should not be that pleased by those that do. At the same time, I see no reason to interfere with others from doing so. He may not like it, but this is a battle. The orc has been knocked out, presumably, out of self-defense in a combat situation. It didn't surrender. If you are in a world/campaign where orcs are not irretrievably evil/shades of grey/moral ambiguity, then I suppose binding them and offering a chance to surrender would be preferable.

Is he required to take positive action?

I don't think so. No. Again, depends on the campaign/deity/world. Mine wouldn't.

Must he seek to bind the wounds of fallen foes, or can he let them bleed out?

I would say delivering of a "merciful end" instead of bleeding out is preferable. This goes to the definition of honor and deity's specialty/wishes also. A paladin of a war deity would probably not care if they bled out...or if they killed them while unconscious. A paladin of a "life" deity would/should probably be required to try to bind the wounds.

To the half ogress specifically, is it OK to walk away and expect she will eventually starve to death?

Are we back to determining/proven that she was involved in the destruction of the town (which, it seems, she wasn't and the paladin didn't bother taking the time to find out)? I woudl say a Lawful EVIL paladin could easily do this...maybe a Lawful Neutral could too if they, as a part of their role as a paladin of their deity is judge and execution, then sure you could get away with this sentence of death by starvation (for something really awful). Lawful Good? No. You can't do that.

A deal for her freedom is, from your comments, out of the question - no deals with the Evil.

Right. She can take death at the paladin's hand or be brought before the king's justice (or whoever the lawful authority of the realm they're in is). Those are your options.

Guess that means he can't buy the freedom of a slave from an evil slavemaster either.

If we're talking about a Lawful GOOD paladin, you have to lawful AND good. You are not obligated to enforce or sit powerless in the face of law that promotes Evil. Slavery, depending on the campaign world/culture/game would almost certainly be viewed by a 21st century audience as something Evil that can be thwarted. In fact, I would submit that offering to buy someone's freedom from an evil slavemaster is precisely what they should do. The slavemaster can say no...and in that case, no, then you are not justified in murdering the slavemaster in a kingdom where slavery is the law. You may, out of passion...or "answering to a higher authority" or whatever...and the GOOD paladin's deity probably wouldn't care. The LN or LE deity might be a bit peeved.

Absolutely. The Paladin is a shining beacon of Heroism. That Heroism should be capable of success, or we are not really playing in a Heroic game any more.

"We" who? My games are all "heroic." You are not playing villains. You are not playing "anti-heroes" [HATE those]. You can have plenty of moral ambiguity and in depth character development in a "Heroic" game. You are still playing the good guys.

If the intent was a non-heroic game where shades of grey rule, then we should just say "no paladins" as they will soon be fallen paladins or deceased paladins - which really makes them come off as "Lawful Stupid". That's clearly not the case in your game - the fact no Paladin PCs have fallen before makes that obvious.

I don't see how this is conclusion. I would say you can easily play a paladin in a "shades of greey" game. YOu just happen be the "White" among the shades of grey.

A good question - one to which the answers depend on background we do not have. What were the options when the deal was struck? I suspect the Paladin did not have the power then that he has now. If his choices were to walk away and let the town be destroyed, or throw himself (and his friends) against an unbeatable foe (so she gets the sword and destroys the town anyway), was one of those the right choice?

Probably not. But I refute your premise and seriously doubt those were the only two options.

I would hope that, in your game (where the ground rules are laid out more clearly, from your comments), the Paladin would not be left between choosing those two outcomes, or losing his Paladinhood by making a deal.

Certainly not. As I said, those aren't the only two options. And I'm not suggesting "losing his paladinhood" I'm suggesting penalties should begin to accrue. Things should start to "feel funny". You know what you did wasn't "right." You feel remorse. You want your soul cleansed to make you worthy of your deity's grace again...and that, likely, becomes an evermore consuming desire and need until you attain your atonement...or, ultimately, fall.

Murdering an old woman in the street because she stepped in front of you? Lose paladinhood.

Make some mistakes/the lesser of two evils/the "only" option, things start to slip...more or less,faster or slower, depending on how bad/far from your principles they were.

btw, why just the Paladin?

Because this thread is about paladins.

Why not another LG character?

Who said it isn't?...for any alignment.

The consequences are not as severe, but the requirement of the Paladin is to remain LG and not commit a wilful Evil act. If he has not done the latter (which would mean "Paladinhood gone", not "six weeks to atone"), then would his actions have equally significant consequences for, say, a divine spellcaster?

Agreed. Absolutely.

Would they push an LG character along the road to an alignment change? I'm curious in this regard - some tables certainly treat the Paladin as not just LG, but the upper left corner of LG in the alignment diagram.

Any character of any alignment that displays severe or consistent behavior at odds with the alignment on their character sheet is always subject to alignment changes. Paladins and LG Clerics may have it the most strict, yes. That is the virtues of being LG. But clerics of any alignment, shifting too far from their deity's/religion's alignment can easily find their prayers going unanswered.

Heck I still demand my druids be Neutral. Too much deviation and they too, fall "out of balance" and begin to find it difficult using their magic/powers.

So, in modern day parlance, "divine casters" need to be the most careful. But more than one "Neutral" thief or "Good" fighter who got a bit too zealous or blood thirsty or greedy in their tomb-raiding has found themselves beginning to shift toward the dark side.

I'm coming back to "what does the campaign say" - steeldragons campaign/culture seems pretty well defined, but I think Whizbang needs to decide (alone or with the players) how it is defined in his game. Practically, if the decision (or consensus) is that the actions of the Paladin were incompatible with Paladinhood, then a retcon should be permitted, since no one seems to have known what those requirements were.

Agreed on the consensus needing to be reached. I wouldn't retcon anything (I really hate to do that), but let the player know they dodged bullet...maybe th epaladin gets a "tsk tsk" vision/warning dream from an agent of their deity. Give them a set of guidelines, principles, or formal "rules" or code even if you want...and stick by it.

But, as I said, in my game, they'd be having some trouble with their powers by now.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They struck the deal because, at the time, even taking on one ogre nearly killed their heaviest hitter. Detente was the only way they could see where they would walk away. (The half-ogre witch went for it because, unbeknownst to the heroes, the gem set in the sword's pommel is a hag's eye and allows the Grandmothers, if they're alive or awake, to scry through it, and she hoped their forces could gather some easy intel on the forces of civilization.)

I hear you that the original pact may have been the mistake. I'm thinking of how to incorporate that.

N'raac

First Post
I would say, in the proposed hypothetical, that he should choose not to because she is tied up...says she didn't do it...and by this scenario have knowledge or proof of the contrary other than his divine sense. Until she does something/the paladin has proof of her wrong doing...he can't just kill her. For all they know, in this scenario, she was their captive/prisoner.

But she IS Evil. Can we make a deal with Evil? Can we untie her if she promises not to attack? Or is it only OK if the Paladin unilaterally unties her with no commitments/deals? The answer, I suspect, is that your “No deals with Evil” position is not as restrictive as saying the words outside the context of the specific deals is, as your comments on the slaver bear out.

Would a better summation be “No compromises in dealing with Evil?” That is, we may be able to reach some kind of agreement, but not if it compromises the principals of the Paladin, including his LG alignment? So leaving the Witch alone with her Ogre henchmen to do evil to someone else instead of the town was not acceptable.

If she is bound, he can't...and if she is bound, theoretically, her evil has been conquered/squashed. She is no threat.

Again, I come back to whether her crimes are known with certainty, and what the Law of the Land would say of this. A bound criminal, condemned to death, has to be executed by someone. Does this mean that “someone” must be of non-LG alignment? I would agree that, as she is bound, there is no pressing urgency to her execution, so if any doubt exists as to her guilt, the issue merits full investigation.

I am still waiting for a statement of what he should have done, rather than what he should not have done. We have the evil sorceress tied to a stake. If we leave her there, she likely either starves or gets loose to carry on her evil ways.

Whee! Agreement in paladin threads is a rare and beautiful thing. Makes me happy. :D

While I agree, I suspect we haven’t gone to full group consensus  Still, small victories merit celebration!

The paladin should not, no...and should not be that pleased by those that do. At the same time, I see no reason to interfere with others from doing so. He may not like it, but this is a battle. The orc has been knocked out, presumably, out of self-defense in a combat situation. It didn't surrender. If you are in a world/campaign where orcs are not irretrievably evil/shades of grey/moral ambiguity, then I suppose binding them and offering a chance to surrender would be preferable.

I think the issue I have here is not seeing a great deal of difference between killing the helpless KO’d target (Colour Spray or what have you), killing the fellow bleeding out and killing the tied sorceress, presuming that the tied sorceress is at least as guilty of verifiable crimes/evil acts as the orcs we targeted in self-defense. Let’s make them Brigands so we don’t have the added complication of “irredeemably evil or free-willed”. And, if anything, a swift death seems preferable to leaving her to starve.
"We" who? My games are all "heroic." You are not playing villains. You are not playing "anti-heroes" [HATE those]. You can have plenty of moral ambiguity and in depth character development in a "Heroic" game. You are still playing the good guys.

A very royal “we”. I am thinking of those “paladin dilemma” games where there is no choice he can make which will not be “bad Paladin – go atone” if not “smack – you’re a fighter”. It’s a game where choosing the moral high ground – the white among shades of grey – is character suicide that I object to.

Probably not. But I refute your premise and seriously doubt those were the only two options.

I defer to the GM of the game.

They struck the deal because, at the time, even taking on one ogre nearly killed their heaviest hitter. Detente was the only way they could see where they would walk away. (The half-ogre witch went for it because, unbeknownst to the heroes, the gem set in the sword's pommel is a hag's eye and allows the Grandmothers, if they're alive or awake, to scry through it, and she hoped their forces could gather some easy intel on the forces of civilization.)

Seems like their perception was “deal or die”, with the town falling next. I would suggest that, in steeldragons’ game, some other option would present itself (Paladin is not in a no-lose situation, although the third option may not thrill him), where as in Whizbang’s, the answer may be that there were no other options, so the choice made was a reasonable one, and therefore the Paladin was not penalized for taking the best course of action available.

Agreed on the consensus needing to be reached. I wouldn't retcon anything (I really hate to do that), but let the player know they dodged bullet...maybe th epaladin gets a "tsk tsk" vision/warning dream from an agent of their deity. Give them a set of guidelines, principles, or formal "rules" or code even if you want...and stick by it.

I’d prefer to avoid the retcon as well, but if the answer reached is “striking her down was a clearly inappropriate act as anyone with knowledge of the Code or the culture would know”, backing it out would be a reasonable solution. Stepping back to wipe out the deal? I don’t see that as practical, even if it were desirable – it would have too many ripples to retcon.

It seems we agree more than we disagree. I suspect if we sat at the same table, rather than just exchanging comments online, we’d have reconciled a lot of terminology already and be pretty much on the same page. More than enough to be back to the game.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In my game, all paladins belong to one church-related knightly order or another. I'm thinking the paladin may have a talk/debate/mild scolding from the saint his order is named after in a dream.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
The paladin executes her on the spot, for past crimes and her future evil intentions.

So, does this impact his paladin status in your campaign? Why or why not?

I assume that she was actually guilty of those "past crimes", and that the nature of those crimes is such that it would warrant the death penalty? Assuming the answer to both is "yes", then I don't see a problem with the Paladin's actions - he's just administering justice.

Of course, if she wasn't guilty, or if those "past crimes" were actually fairly trivial, then that's not justice but murder, and so the Paladin has just lost his status.

Either way, "future evil intentions" have no place in administering justice.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
What alignment is the Paladin? They don't have to be LG anymore. And if the Paladin struck a deal with a superior foe so that he could protect himself, his friends and a village of innocents, he'd be crazy not to take the deal.

He'd also be crazy to expect the ogres to live up to it.

So, to me, once the town was sacked, deal's off. As to the tied up Ogre, a responsible (and hopefully stronger and more capable) Paladin would keep her there, wait for the other Ogres to return, and then have the Ogres verify her claims. Then put them to the sword.

Truth, Justice, and the Paladin way.

Of course if you're a LN or LE Vengeance Paladin, go to town. Murder 'em all. :)

Remove ads