• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladin Mount Question

ThaDium

First Post
Hi All! It's been a while.

I'm looking for alternative abilities to the Paladin's mount. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some ideas?

-ThaDium

smootrk

First Post
DMG for Leadership enhanced mounts, and Book of Exalted Deeds for some other options.

On a slightly related topic, I hate the summoning aspect to paladin mounts. Go back to the old way of "attracting/questing for" a suitable mount, then have it stay.

ThaDium

First Post
Thanks Smootrk,

But I'm more looking for something to use instead of the Mount.

Maybe I should have been more clear.

ThaDium

smootrk

First Post
In that case, I have seen Paladins who have a few bonus feats in exchange (chosen from Divine or Turning-powered feats), and I have seen also Paladins who get Ranger-style favored enemies (based upon the foes of the particular sect the paladin belongs to, mostly undead, demons, devils, etc). I have seen domain access allowed as well.

I would suggest looking to the particular deity that the paladin favors for the best insight into alternative abilities... probably the best place to start.

Aus_Snow

First Post
The PHBII (Player's Handbook II, by Wizards of the Coast) includes a variant for Paladins that replaces the Special Mount. It includes a variant for each of the (core) base classes, actually.

Otherwise, a domain, bonus feats. . . there are a few options I guess.

Corlon

First Post
I toyed with this idea a while ago in one of my campaigns.

One idea was to grant the ability to gain the half-celestial template for some odd rounds a day.

The one we went with was granting an intelligent item that upgraded along the lines of where the mount did. It balanced pretty well at the beginning, but the campaign didn't last very long so I don't really know.

Hawken

First Post
Instead of the mount, give the Paladin two bonus feats from either Combat, Divine or Exalted types.

You could improve on existing abilities:
--Turn Undead as a Cleric of equal level.
--Extra Smite.
--Extra Lay on Hands.
--Extra Cure Disease. Or maybe add Neutralize Poison or Restoration to it, so they can choose.
--Bump caster level so at 5th, the Pally casts spells as a 6th or 7th lvl Pally.
--+2 bonus to Strength or Wisdom or Charisma.
--+1 bonus to Strength and Wisdom and Charisma.
--Provide the Paladin with a sentient sword (or other appropriate weapon) of at least +2 power that can grow in power as the Paladin gains levels.

Spatzimaus

First Post
Granted, it's not a good general-purpose solution, but IMC we simply changed it so that the Mount became more like an "animal companion"; it could be as small as one size less than the Paladin, which'd obviously prevent it from being rideable. We had a Halfling Paladin with a Dire Weasel mount; he COULD ride it, but in most battles he wouldn't.

Other solutions I've seen:
> Replace the mount with a simple cohort (as the Leadership feat, minus followers). I'd limit the cohort to being another Paladin, creating a Jedi-style master/apprentice system. (If you allow the cohort to be any other class, then it tends to take the focus away from whatever other group member overlaps the cohort's class.)
> Better spellcasting. Little things; instead of caster level being 1/2 class level, just equate the two. Add a few more spells to the spell list. Give one more spell slot per day at each spell level. That sort of thing.
> Improve the "Lay On Hands" ability. For instance, you could simply increase the number of points they get; currently it's (level x CHAmod), which is never a really huge value, so you could just double it in exchange for the mount.
Or, you could then say that instead of X points of healing, the Paladin could choose to manifest certain spell-like abilities when they lay hands on someone.
5 points gets you a lesser restoration. 10 gets a remove paralysis or delay poison. 15 gets remove blindness or remove curse, and 20 gets neutralize poison, break enchantment, or restoration. All of these are on the Paladin's spell list already, this just lets them use it more spontaneously. And, you can mix it; maybe you want to heal for 8 AND restore a few stat points, for a cost of 13 points of healing.
> Have the Paladin's sword be magically bonded and aware (use the Psicrystal rules); no extra combat bonuses, really, but a few extra little perks. If the weapon is lost/destroyed or if you find a better one later, allow the "crystal" to freely move to the new weapon without penalty.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Spatzimaus said:
> Better spellcasting. Little things; instead of caster level being 1/2 class level, just equate the two. Add a few more spells to the spell list. Give one more spell slot per day at each spell level. That sort of thing.

- Add mount and phantom steed to a Paladin's spell list, and let him spontaneously convert prepared spells into them. (Together with the improved caster level, this equates to a very special mount indeed.)

A Paladin's special mount gives him independant mobility. I'd seek to preserve that -- Paladins shouldn't depend on anyone else for basic transportation. (In archtypical fantasy, that means a horse. In Earthsea, that would mean "Call Special Little Boat". In Naausica-world, it would be a little flying scooter. Anyway. Spells will do the job just fine.)

Cheers, -- N

Aus_Snow

First Post
Nifft said:
A Paladin's special mount gives him independant mobility. I'd seek to preserve that -- Paladins shouldn't depend on anyone else for basic transportation.
Um. Well, they could just buy a horse. Or make a boat.

Remove ads