• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Paladin, Oath of the Anti-Arcane

Elon Tusk

Explorer
I would change magic immunity, I don't like outright immunities, and immunity to magic weapons would make more sense than immunity to normal weapons.
Then there is the question about magic items, I find it a bit absurd to fight arcane casters and not try to destroy their creations.

You are absolutely right; I'll switch immunity to magical weapons instead of non-magical.
The immunity to magical damage only lasts for 10 minutes per long rest at 20th level+. I can't see that as too powerful at that level.

How do you see these paladins destroying magic items?

Last edited:

ppaladin123

Adventurer
A friend of mine asked if I could make him an anti-magic paladin.
Here's what I came up with:

View attachment 90388

What needs tweaking?

Concentration breaker: how about "must make concentration check to avoid losing spell with disadvantage,"
so it mirrors the mage slayer feat.

For "resistance against magic.." what does that mean? Resistance against all damage types if the origin is an magic spell? arcane spell? All energy types but not physical damage (slashing, piercing, etc.)? Advantage on saving throws?

Spell interruption: how many times can you do this? When does it recharge?

spell immunity: what does this mean in mechanical terms? What if your ally tries to heal you with an arcane or divine spell? Does it work?

Elon Tusk

Explorer
Concentration breaker: how about "must make concentration check to avoid losing spell with disadvantage,"
so it mirrors the mage slayer feat.

For "resistance against magic.." what does that mean? Resistance against all damage types if the origin is an magic spell? arcane spell? All energy types but not physical damage (slashing, piercing, etc.)? Advantage on saving throws?

Spell interruption: how many times can you do this? When does it recharge?

spell immunity: what does this mean in mechanical terms? What if your ally tries to heal you with an arcane or divine spell? Does it work?

I modified the Concentration Breaker so that it stacks with the Mage Slayer feat (seems like this paladin would want that feat).

"Resistance against magic": was clarified to "advantage on saving throws against arcane spells and other magical effects."

Spell Interruption recharges any time the paladin "suffers damage or other magical effects from a spell or other magical effects."

Magic Immunity applies to immunity to "damage caused by magic and magical weapons." Healing still works.

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 11.41.59 AM.png

D

dco

How do you see these paladins destroying magic items?
"They seek to quash arcane magic in the world".
I would change it for something more focused, like "they seek to eradicate all kinds of arcane presence if it is dangerous, evil or threatens people."
And for tenets I would use something like:
Stay vigilant --> Arcane magic can be found in unexpected places.
Cautiousness --> Arcane magic can be dangerous and deceitful. Wizards can not be trusted.
Show the way --> People must know of the dangers of arcane magic.
Calm --> Take your time to judge if the arcane source needs to be eradicated.
Eradicate --> Use any advantage, don't worry about collateral damage / Never hurt an innocent.

Thurmas

Explorer
I'm coming into this a little late, but I'll throw in some points.

Channel Divinity: I think the way you had it going the first time was better. You only have one use of channel divinity per rest, so it isn't going to happen a ton. I don't think it was overpowered before.

Concentration Breaker: After you hit a creature with an attack, you may use your channel divinity to end one magical effect on that creature or break the concentration of any spells they are concentrating on.

Magical Resilient: You may use your channel divinity to automatically succeed on a saving throw. Additionally, you are immune to any effects that occur on a successful save.

Aura of Anti-Magic: Its hard to define arcane magic in this edition. Why not just advantage on saving throws vs spells and/or magical effects in general? I think the benefits of not having to answer what is arcane and what isn't are worth it.

You already have Counterspell given as a class spell. How about instead at 15 you gain resistance to damage from magical spells and effects?

Magic Immunity: This might be a little much, as it gives a ton of absolute benefits. I also don't really think that magical weapons really fit into the goal you are trying to go after, which is fighting magic users. If we model it off of some of the other subclass 20th level abilities as an aura, what about:

You become enamored with holy protection versus magic. Your body shimmers with holy darkness, dimming sources of magical light near you.
Any creature that wishes to target you with a harmful spell or magical effect must make a successful wisdom saving throw against your spell DC or the spell fails.
You emanate an aura of arcane denial around you in a 30 foot radius. Anytime an enemy creature attempts to cast a spell inside this aura, it must succeed on a wisdom saving throw or the spell fails.

Remove ads