• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladin Spells - Which are best?

Xilo

First Post
Hi all,

My paladin just reached 4th level and I was flipping through the many books my DM has trying to come up with a list of the most useful spells. And I was wondering if I could get some ideas of you all.

We don't come across a lot of undead, but they pop up every now and then. What I do know is that there are a few Devils and their minons floating around so anything to get through DR is also cool.

But just let me know what you/your paladin players use so I can get my head around this one spell a day i now have!!

Cheers.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
At 4th-level my paladin went with Protection from Evil. +2 to saves and AC, protection vs. Mind Control and summoned creatures... It's a great package.

Xilo

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Bless Weapon for the guaranteed criticals.

Yeah I was thinking that one was a sure thing.
At the moment my list is:
Bless
Bless Weapon
Protection from Evil
Divine Sacrifice (from Complete Divine I think)
Cure Light Wounds
Magic Weapon

Just ones that boost me a little. Bless weapon, plus Smite Evil will pack a rather nice punch I would think.

Xilo

First Post
FireLance said:
Don't forget divine favor, especially after you get a magic weapon and magic weapon becomes less useful.

Is that just in the standard spell list, or in some of the Suplemental rule books?

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
1st level:

Core:
Bless Weapon
Protection from Evil
Lesser Restoration

Non-core
Divine Sacrifice (CD)
Resurgence (CD)
Traveler's Mount (CD)
Golden Barding (CD--especially good for flying mounts that can't afford the weight of real barding)

Core:
Bull's Strength (it's almost decent if you share it with your mount)
Shield Other (if you're feeling cheesy, cast it on yourself and just take the +1 resistance bonus to saves and +1 deflection bonus to AC for an hour/level)

Yes, second level IS that lousy for paladins

Noncore:
Divine Insight (CV): +5 +clvl bonus to a single skill check within 1 hour per level. Easily the most versatile spell at Pal 2.
Zeal (CD) I've never used it but it should be useful sometime

Core:
Cure Moderate Wounds
Magic Circle vs. evil

Non-core:
Blessing of Bahamut (CD) DR 10/magic--I haven't used it but I'm looking forward to it
Undead-bane Weapon (Libris Mortis)--if Beltine's Blessed Strike from Arcanis is any indication, this will kick ass against undead

Core
Death Ward
Restoration
Holy Sword

Non-core:
Mass Resurgence (CD)
Sacred Haven (CD) This seems mostly useful as a plot thing, but it's a useful plot thing.

FireLance

Legend
Xilo said:
Is that just in the standard spell list, or in some of the Suplemental rule books?
It's standard. Check your PH or the SRD. Note that the luck bonus to hit and damage has been errataed to cap out at +3 for a 9th-level spellcaster, not that you would have to worry about it with a by-the-book paladin.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads