• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladin suggestions. Do you like this?

SSquirrel

Explorer
Alignment is so open to interpretation that you could definitely describe Batman as Neutral Good. But he also fits the definition of Lawful Good, at least the one provided in 3.5: it doesn't require obedience to the law of a particular country, but rather discipline, integrity, honour and compassion.

You know as horrible as Palladium is for so many things, their alignment system always made sense to me. Every alignment had a good set of generalities (always will, sometimes will, never will, etc) for different things, plus a number of examples of characters who fit that general description. D&D's alignment system always seemed way too vague. I generally hate alignment tho and was happy when Monte removed it in AU/AE and just had the Champion class.

matthulhu

First Post
I dislike the idea of Paladins that are devoted to a deity- or to anything else besides Lawful Good. When I hear "Paladin of _______" I start to retch a little. "Don't say a god's name, don't say a god's name, AH GOSH DARN IT!"

Ideally, Paladins aren't even "devoted to Lawful Good." They are driven to do deeds for their own reasons that end up making them a paragon of the alignment of Lawful Good. In my D&D games alignments are like cosmic "teams" of forces stretching the universe in their direction, mostly useful for making sure magic items are used by people whose fate/behavior is in line with the purpose of the item's creation. People in-world (in my campaigns) don't know what "Alignment" is, in terms of the axis of alignments. They would know a Paladin by his works and deeds, but wouldn't go "Oh, he's so Lawful Good!" but maybe "Oh, he's so lawful! That's good!"

I don't even like the concept of anti-Paladins, to be honest. Paladins are singular- and thus, preferably, a rarity in any campaign world I intend to play. Lawful Good, period, for me and mine.

Stormonu

Legend
I kinda wish they'd go with a more generic "Champion" class, with Paladin being a theme. That way we could still have our Paladins (LG) and our Avengers (CG) and our Blackguards (CE) and Tyrants (LE) and everything in-between.

And a theme version might be kind of cool as you could go beyond mere fighter characters - imagine a Rogue Paladin - he might look something akin to James Bond (Pierce Brosnan version) or perhaps Batman...

Remove ads