• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladin

focallength

First Post
How do you run your paladins or how do you run your characters paladins?

Every paladin Ive ever played the DM has tried his best to screw me over. Why is this? why is it that a DM thinks a paladin is their personal play thing to torment or find any stupid little strech of the rules to make a paladin lose paladinhood? Ive had Paladins do everything in their power to end a conflict peacefully taking tons of damage in the process, only to realise that the BBEG wasnt going to give up and stomped him flat only to have him yell "I surrender" just before the last blows cleaves him in two. Then the DM says "well...he tried to surrender to you and you killed him...your god revokes your paladinhood" of course every bad guy says they surrender when they see their deaths coming, thats why theyre bad guys theyre cowards.
Ive had DMs make me walk entire groups of villians chained up to the nearest authorities, only to have them A: escape and kill me in my sleep or b: escape and then I get blamed for letting a bunch of BBEG's loose in the realms and get my paladinhood revoked. Let me clarify something for all the DM's out there who do this. A paladin is a holy warrior, a knight. A paladin will accept surrender when its genuine and when its right. A group of humans commiting genocide do not deserve mercy. Did they show mercy when they slaughtered hundreds? no. Will a paladin march a BBEG across the country to have him stand trial in a far off land? most likely not he will engage the enemy and destroy him, unless hes too much of a coward to fight then sure tie him up and take him to the king, then let the king cut his head off. I could go on for pages and pages but I want to hear from people with horror stories and DM's who think they have everyright to torment a player with a paladin.

Heres hoping my new DM and group dont continue this trend, cheers!

dicechild

First Post
I agree with you. A DM has no right to kill you just because you're a paladin. Once you lose your Paladinhood decide to go on a killing streak and kill everyone you lay eyes on and say to your DM, "now I'm acting like a fallen paladin"

KP

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
focallength said:
How do you run your paladins or how do you run your characters paladins?

Every paladin Ive ever played the DM has tried his best to screw me over. Why is this? why is it that a DM thinks a paladin is their personal play thing to torment or find any stupid little strech of the rules to make a paladin lose paladinhood? Ive had Paladins do everything in their power to end a conflict peacefully taking tons of damage in the process, only to realise that the BBEG wasnt going to give up and stomped him flat only to have him yell "I surrender" just before the last blows cleaves him in two. Then the DM says "well...he tried to surrender to you and you killed him...your god revokes your paladinhood" of course every bad guy says they surrender when they see their deaths coming, thats why theyre bad guys theyre cowards.
Ive had DMs make me walk entire groups of villians chained up to the nearest authorities, only to have them A: escape and kill me in my sleep or b: escape and then I get blamed for letting a bunch of BBEG's loose in the realms and get my paladinhood revoked. Let me clarify something for all the DM's out there who do this. A paladin is a holy warrior, a knight. A paladin will accept surrender when its genuine and when its right. A group of humans commiting genocide do not deserve mercy. Did they show mercy when they slaughtered hundreds? no. Will a paladin march a BBEG across the country to have him stand trial in a far off land? most likely not he will engage the enemy and destroy him, unless hes too much of a coward to fight then sure tie him up and take him to the king, then let the king cut his head off. I could go on for pages and pages but I want to hear from people with horror stories and DM's who think they have everyright to torment a player with a paladin.

Heres hoping my new DM and group dont continue this trend, cheers!

Sounds like your old DM was a DA. Paladins are are cool to play, and thats what I mostly play when I'm not DM'ing, Some thinking involved but not alot. I know Joel K. play's an awesome Paladin in my group, a real fire brand type who really ham's it up but also offers quarter to foes before he kill's them.
Plus I think I'v been pretty fair for all my Lawfully aligned players.

Anyway if you do play a Paladin, start out as a fighter and get all the cool fighter feats like Specialization and what not then switch over to paladin and if your DM is really cool, he might even have cleric throw a big party for your newly minted paladin.

Scott

focallength

First Post
Ive got a good mature group now and Im playing my first paladin. I just hope evrything goes cool as I dont want to leave because the DM thinks a paladin is mother teresa with a sword.

most of my paladins follow these simple rules or some slight variation of them.

Thou shalt believe all that the Church teaches, and shalt observe all its directions. Thou shalt defend the Church. Thou shalt repect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them. Thou shalt love the country in the which thou wast born. Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy. Thou shalt make war against the Infidel without cessation, and without mercy. Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of God. Thou shalt never lie, and shall remain faithful to thy pledged word. Thou shalt be generous, and give largess to everyone. Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Collary of the former:

Weighing as much as the titanic is proof thou sufferest the most for thine character, the paladin.

Bront

The man with the probe
Sounds like you had a GM who took more joy in screwing the players than in playing his character. The conflict is between the characters and the advasaries, not the players and the GM (which is often breaks down to).

However, I have played 2 games with paladins that were far less than the noble characters many feel they should have been. Neither were bad enough to be ex-paladins, but occasionaly someone would ask them "You're a paladin?"

Remove ads