• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Paladin's Aura of Devotion and Dominate Person

Tzarevitch

First Post
I assume you are referring to the Aura of Devotion. Deep in the text of the dominate spells they say that the target is charmed. Aura of devotion protects against charm. It's very poor writing but the answer is pretty definitive.

Joker

First Post
I assume you are referring to the Aura of Devotion. Deep in the text of the dominate spells they say that the target is charmed. Aura of devotion protects against charm. It's very poor writing but the answer is pretty definitive.

That's how I reasoned it as well. In that, Charm Person and Dominate Person have almost the same language but a fellow player feels that because it doesn't say that Domination gives you the Charmed condition that it's not the same effect. I think that might be a holdover from previous editions where you had conditions and keywords in italics in the spell description.

bganon

Explorer
I wouldn't even call it "deep in the text". It's the second sentence: "succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed"! How could it be more clear? Why would a spell say "be charmed" if not referring to the condition?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I wouldn't even call it "deep in the text". It's the second sentence: "succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed"! How could it be more clear? Why would a spell say "be charmed" if not referring to the condition?

Yup.

No different than "succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be prone".

Remove ads