• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladins in Fiction

Krug

Newshound
Got to mention Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold, though the definition is certainly not very D&Dish.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Galad in the Wheel of Time is specifically modelled after the D&D concept of a paladin. The old school smite evil without mercy while following a rigid and uncompromising moral code variety.

Robert Jordan used to DM games for his son, and I read somewhere that he based the character of Galad on the D&D concept of paladin as ruthless LG destroyer of evil.

Klaus

First Post
Holger Carlson from Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson also has many elements similar to D&D paladins. However, given that it was published in 1961, it is quite likely that D&D paladins were inspired at least in part by that character. ;)
Three Hearts & Three Lions was the blueprint for the AD&D Paladin, down to ability score requirements, alignment, special mount, code of conduct and holy avenger.

rowport

First Post
...Terry Brooks' tales about John Ross are clearly meant to be a modern take on the paladin.

Amazon.com: Running With the Demon (The Word and the Void Trilogy, Book 1): Terry Brooks, Gerald Brom: Books

Agreed, and he continues with the concept of Knights of the Word into the most-recent trilogy (set later in time). They are really great books if you like modern fantasy; I enjoyed them more than most of his Shannara series (which is apparently the far future following the modern series-- a bit counterintuitive but there you go).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Agreed, and he continues with the concept of Knights of the Word into the most-recent trilogy
What new trilogy? What is the first book?

TellmetellmetellmetellmeTELLMEtellmetellmetellmetellme!
his Shannara series (which is apparently the far future following the modern series

I figured out pretty early that the Shannara books were set in a fantasy world that followed a modern one like ours...but is he trying to tie it into Word & Void, etc.?

Orius

Legend
In the David Eddings' trilogy The Elenium and it's sequal trilogy The Tamuli Sparhawk and the knights of the Pandion Order are iconic paladins IMHO.

I'll second this. The Elenium is pretty good reading material for anyone who wants some inspiration on paladins. Bevier and the Cyrinic knights IMO are probably closest to the D&D paladin, but the Pandions are excellent for those who want a pragmatic, Templar-esque order of paladins.

Galad in the Wheel of Time is specifically modelled after the D&D concept of a paladin. The old school smite evil without mercy while following a rigid and uncompromising moral code variety.

Robert Jordan used to DM games for his son, and I read somewhere that he based the character of Galad on the D&D concept of paladin as ruthless LG destroyer of evil.

Galad is also a pretty good example of the paladin personality. Especially in the opening to Knife of Dreams.

Jordan played D&D and DMed? I wonder what those games were like.

Uruk

First Post
One of the few D&D novel series I'd recommend beyond just being a quick fun read would be Mel Odom's Threat From Under the Seas trilogy. It teaches us that it's okay to kick ass while being a good two-shoes.

zen_hydra

First Post
Have Gun – Will Travel

Haveguncard.png

Have gun will travel
Reads the card of a man
A knight without armor
In a savage land.

His fast gun hired
Heeds the calling wind
A soldier of fortune
Is a man called Paladin.