• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladins Should Not Cast Spells

Anguirus

First Post
In the most recent Rule-of-Three this passage jumped out and shocked me:

It's OK to re-use mechanics between classes; for example, our current vision for both the fighter and the rogue includes access to a system of combat maneuvers. Clerics and paladins both should have access to divine spells. That's something the classes need to have because they are different; it's not a choice made simply so that they would be different.
Emphasis mine.

I don't disagree with the larger point. Classes often must share mechanics because of the metaphysics of the game. Basic example: all classes can swing a weapon and attack. All classes use skills. Clerics and wizards cast spells; they always have and they always will, and we want the spells to feel different but there's no reason to force the system to be different simply to emphasize arcane vs. divine.

However, I feel that in the specific case of clerics and paladins, this idea is WRONG, and it is upsetting to me that 5E paladins will, apparently, be spellcasters.

In 1E, 2E, and the beginning of 3E, magic in the game took one of three forms. One form was "whatever the DM damn well said it was," in order to create effects that were necessary to the story. One form, a very rare one indeed, was "special unique things some monsters and classes can do." The other form was spellcasting.

The paladin was designed as a warrior, a knight if you will, that was imbued with divine magic and used it against his enemies. The class design is basically,
-Take the fighter.
-Tack on weaker turn undead
-Tack on weak cleric spellcasting from a restricted spell list.
-Tack on a few extra abilities that, themselves, are based on spells.
-Throw in strict ability and alignment requirements.

The end result was an elite, magical version of the fighter. He was based on legendary Christian knights from sagas and their modern antecedents. Such knights didn't wave their arms and cast spells, but that was just how magic worked back then, in the game.

The paladin wound its way through to third edition with, frankly, cosmetic changes only. However, third edition (3.5 really) began to teach us something wonderful.

For characters, magic is not the same thing as spellcasting!

And so we met the warlock, who had weaker "spells" that were cast all the time, giving a more willful, fantastic feel. The psion had a new way to cast spells, subdividing a character's total magical energy instead of using slots. That was only the start, as we met Incarnum, Binding, Truenaming, and Nine Swords magic before the edition had run its course.

The Fourth Edition paladin was a new beast. While he still ran about with a sword in one hand and a holy symbol in the other, and, yes, had to "Channel Divinity" along with the cleric (but eventually all divine classes), it became possible to create a paladin who could just hack and slash and SMITE his way through battle, or a paladin who just funneled destructive energy into his foes and beneficial into his friends, or a mix-and-match.

My first 4E character was a dwarf paladin who dumped Charisma. Bad idea? Probably. But he wasn't one for flash, and he sure as heck didn't rub his holy symbol, wave his arms, yell nonsense, and then check off a spell for the day.

So what's my point? After all in 4E all characters were "spellcasters" right? Yes, but in 4E, for the very first time, I saw a paladin who could not, EVER, be mistaken for a fighter/cleric.

The paladin does not deserve to exist if it can be mistaken for a fighter/cleric.

It is not a coincidence that that dwarf was the first paladin I ever bothered to play.

Spells aren't part of the paladin archetype.

And that's why this passage upset me. It's a giant step backward for no reason. We have known for ten years that the magic of player characters does not have to take the form of spells.

The paladin should be a divine warrior. It should be a good warrior (but not quite as good as the fighter) even before any divine help. It should heal its allies with its pure touch, and be healed in turn by its own righteousness. It should be able to pierce the lies and deceptions of evil. And it should empower its weapons with holiness and smite the undeserving.

It shouldn't get a bunch of weak cleric spells at level 4, etc. It shouldn't even get turn undead. That's a cleric "thing." A paladin shouldn't turn undead, it should DESTROY undead, smiting a ghoul so hard that twenty of his ghoul friends burst into flames and, somewhere, Orcus feels an inexplicable pain in his left temple.

Clerics, especially fighter/clerics, have UNAVOIDABLE thematic overlap with paladins. It therefore behooves the dev team to minimize their MECHANICAL overlap, which is not necessary for gameplay and weakens the essential identities of both classes. (Just imagine if they finally stopped trying to stick clerics with maces. Try to tell the difference then!)

At the very least, I think paladin spellcasting needs to be OPTIONAL. I'll be sad if its the default option--and it clearly will be--but if it can be removed modularly and replaced with something cool, ok.

Frankly I think the very idea of going back to paladins being a little of fighter, a little of cleric, with unique frills stuck on top, is telling of an unfortunate design philosophy that seems to invariably err on the side of 3rd edition. I LOVE 3rd edition, it's maybe the most fantastic game I've ever played, but the designers need to separate the reasons for its success from just "things that happened to be in 3rd edition." There is no reason to turn back the clock on the paladin. Apply the lessons you have learned in all the years of successful class and game design that happened after the 3rd edition Player's Handbook.

And so help me if the ranger got turned back into "fighter + druid - armor + two-weapon fighting" I'll REALLY go off on a tear!

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I completely agree.

Paladins should not equal Fighter/Clerics.

Rangers should not equal Fighter/Druids or Fighter/Mages.

IMHO in an effort to "balance out" the classes and the game as a whole, the D&D universe needs LESS "magic-users." EVERY class does not need some mysterious or however-it-is-explained spell-casting access.

The lines between "caster" classes and "non-caster" classes should be broad and supported with teams of classes on both sides. Rangers and Paladins belong on the "non-caster' team and need to be awesome creations without just "tacking on more magic/spells" at high levels.

Or, if you prefer, the "casters, non-casters, and hybrid-types": Paladins, some Magicky-variant of the Ranger, some Magicky-shadow-walking variant of the Assassin can sit in the limbo between "caster/non-caster" as the classes that have magical/supernatural/divinely-imbued "powers" (hells I'd even put Warlocks in here)...but not spell-use, as such.

Neither Paladins nor Rangers have had access to Spell Use (however minimal/late in the PCs career, it was in 1e) in my campaigns for many many years.

Janaxstrus

First Post
I'm ok with Paladins casting spells.

They should be very distinct though, not just cleric/priest light.
I will continue to beat the drum for the Paladin to be the heavily armorered healer/buffer, while the cleric turns into a light armored divine mage type.

paladinm

First Post
The original (OD&D Greyhawk) paladin was not a spellcaster, nor could he turn undead (I believe). S/he was a fighter with the Lay on Hands ability, who was immune to disease, could Detect Evil at will, and Dispel Evil as well. And s/he could Dispel Magic with a holy sword.

Just a matter of history:)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I have no problem with paladins casting spells. They've been doing so at least since 1e AD&D. I do prefer that their spell list be fairly distinctive, something I think 3e did well.

hanez

First Post
As someone who loves and still plays 3e/pathfinder, I agree.

It makes more sense to have the paladin have some magical powers, and not spells.

Anguirus

First Post
Thanks for the support and ideas. :) I feel that another victim of the spells-as-magic philosophy was the Dragon. Some dragons should be wizards or sorcerers, sure; they are smart, motivated, and have way too much free time. But not every winged lizard sitting on a pile of gold needs to have wizard-like spells! 4E's dragons had great themed abilities instead, clearly magic and supernatural, but just as clearly tied to the type and nature of the dragon in question. (Of course 3E's had some great stuff in addition to spells.)

I also think that there SHOULD be a "swords and spells" class, but an arcane one. Now THAT'S something I see when I think of fantasy, and historically the fighter/wizard multiclass has been challenging to make work.

Finally, one of the things that does distinguish paladins and martial clerics is their role in society. While both can be adventurers, paladins generally are upper-class knights errant. If they lived in a monastery or temple...seems to me they'd just be a cleric. I recommend that the designers take inspiration from this difference. Clerics can fight, and fight well, but orders of clerics were not organized TO fight wars or rule citizens directly.

Anguirus

First Post
The original (OD&D Greyhawk) paladin was not a spellcaster, nor could he turn undead (I believe). S/he was a fighter with the Lay on Hands ability, who was immune to disease, could Detect Evil at will, and Dispel Evil as well. And s/he could Dispel Magic with a holy sword.

Just a matter of history:)

Thanks! I'm a pup of 24...my earliest knowledge comes from the AD&D PHB, and my first games were in 2E AD&D. :blush:

You want a paladin? Start there, IMO. Actually I really like the old Dispel Evil spell for some reason, it's exactly the kind of weird beast that makes me think of old-school gaming.

I have no problem with paladins casting spells. They've been doing so at least since 1e AD&D.
But see, this is just the argument I reject. Why don't paladins have more intuitive, special ability-based magic? If they want to cast cure light wounds, why don't they multiclass with cleric?

I do prefer that their spell list be fairly distinctive, something I think 3e did well.
I agree, but I think the next step is asking why their unique abilities must be spells at all. These guys are fonts of radiance with swords. Spells just seem too deliberate, a distraction for a warrior who's trained all his life.

But yeah, 3E eventually gave you enough paladin-only spells that were worth a rip so that you could almost pretend you had a lot of special abilities, rather than being a baby cleric. ;)

Ok... I agree again, but before we go to far can I get a concession from you? Can wizards in 5th get spells back again? lol

YES. :D Remember, I even think clerics should be slinging spells instead of "prayers."

Janaxstrus

First Post
Thanks for the support and ideas. :) I feel that another victim of the spells-as-magic philosophy was the Dragon. Some dragons should be wizards or sorcerers, sure; they are smart, motivated, and have way too much free time. But not every winged lizard sitting on a pile of gold needs to have wizard-like spells! 4E's dragons had great themed abilities instead, clearly magic and supernatural, but just as clearly tied to the type and nature of the dragon in question. (Of course 3E's had some great stuff in addition to spells.)

I also think that there SHOULD be a "swords and spells" class, but an arcane one. Now THAT'S something I see when I think of fantasy, and historically the fighter/wizard multiclass has been challenging to make work.

Finally, one of the things that does distinguish paladins and martial clerics is their role in society. While both can be adventurers, paladins generally are upper-class knights errant. If they lived in a monastery or temple...seems to me they'd just be a cleric. I recommend that the designers take inspiration from this difference. Clerics can fight, and fight well, but orders of clerics were not organized TO fight wars or rule citizens directly.

My main problem with the dragon as a spellcaster ALWAYS, was that in general, the majority of his spells sucked compared to what he could do with his other abilities. I do think SOME dragons (Golds, Silvers, maybe Greens) should be spell casters by nature, but others are either too firmly entrenched in physical attacks that they are exceptions when they do learn magic.

A sword and spell class would be nice. The Duskblade in 3e was...ok...but it was way way too limited on spell selection. I would want one that could be a psuedo-mage if no one else played a wizard. The Duskblade had almost nothing that wasn't related to combat or movement. Some generalist stuff at the cost of HD or BAB would have been preferable.

Remove ads