Palladium Announces Collapse of Robotech RPG Tactics Kickstarter

Back in 2013, Palladium Books successfully funded a miniature wargame based on the Robotech Role-Playing Game (originally published by Palladium in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and reprinted up until 1998). They raised over $1.4 million from over 5,000 backers. However, Kevin Sembieda, president of Palladium, announced today that they were not going to be able to provide some of the rewards for the Kickstarter; and, further still, that Palladium's license to produce Robotech gaming material had expired and would not be renewed.

Back in 2013, Palladium Books successfully funded a miniature wargame based on the Robotech Role-Playing Game (originally published by Palladium in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and reprinted up until 1998). They raised over $1.4 million from over 5,000 backers. However, Kevin Sembieda, president of Palladium, announced today that they were not going to be able to provide some of the rewards for the Kickstarter; and, further still, that Palladium's license to produce Robotech gaming material had expired and would not be renewed.

262d3464b320143987ae862b8af464df_original.jpg

Robotech is a sci-fi property featuring alien invaders and mecha. Robotech RPG Tactics is, in Palladium's words, "a fast paced strategy battle game that expands on the popular Palladium role playing game. Take command of the brave men and women of the United Earth Defense Force to valiantly defend Earth from annihilation. Or, command the alien armies of the Zentraedi Armada to recover an alien artifact of immense power and enslave humankind. Collect your forces from an expanding range of world class game pieces. Relive the massive battles on your tabletop at home to enhance your Robotech® RPG adventures or as a stand-alone game."

In a lengthy update, Sembieda explained the various woes which have plagued the project.

Originally scheduled for a Fall 2013 release, the company ran into problems when the found out the 3D design files for various game pieces were not compatible with the manufacturer's process.

The second setback came when shipping costs increased (or, as Sembieda explains it, changed from being paid for not just by the weight, but also by the physical side of the package) which added around $200,000 to the project's shipping costs.

Apparently the Kickstarter money was all spent on the "Wave One" rewards; it's the Wave Two rewards which the company is unable to fulfil, the cost of which they estimate as being in the region of half a million dollars.

Palladium is offering Wave One rewards in place of Wave Two rewards, as long as the recipients pay for shipping.

The reactions are as to be expected - backers are angry, and most appear to be rejecting the offer of replacement rewards. There are many demands for refunds, some discussion about lawsuits, and plenty of venting. There's even a Facebook group for people who wish to sue Palladium. What will happen next is anybody's guess, but this isn't the first high profile Kickstarter to fail, and it won't be the last.

evilbob

Explorer
"KS is an investment. There are risks. It is not a pre-order."

People say this, and KS says this, and they aren't technically wrong - but this is - in my experience, for many products - not how KS actually works, or how people actually treat it. People treat it exactly as a pre-order system ...and then get mad when things like this happen. And to be fair, even KS treats itself like a pre-order system sometimes, because it makes them a lot of money.

Some people who start kickstarters treat it as a pre-order system. For many projects, it IS a pre-order system; KS has turned into a storefront for these products - except with murky claims of "it's not guaranteed" in the background, downplayed by everyone (including KS), to boost sales.

The last line in the post is really the entire takeaway here.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I just avoid Kickstarters since it is more an investment rather than a guaranteed pre-order. When it ends up shelves I'll buy it, if it never does then oh well, plenty of other stuff to waste my time on.

Last edited by a moderator:

aramis erak

Legend
The sunny side of this: Robetch as an IP is now probably free to be licensed elsewhere by Harmony Gold, so we may get an RPG with a reasonable system.

Barantor

Explorer
Robotech is not something I will ever invest in so long as Harmony Gold holds any rights.

Right now they are still in court proceedings with both Piranha Games (mechwarrior online) and Harebrained Schemes (Battletech x-com type game) and do this every so often to 'protect their IP'. It's a pretty gross thing they do and the world would be better off without HG in charge of the IP.

One wonders if Palladium will survive this and the loss of the license. They've had a number of close calls over the years, and could their time be up?

While it'd be a shame for such a longstanding RPG company to go under, they've also not changed with the times much at all.

Ghal Maraz

Adventurer
Well, let's just hope Harmony Gold doesn't get to renew their licence in turn, when it will end in 2021.

I don't think anyone will try to pick up a licence for a Robotech RPG, given such a limited timeframe: even in best case scenario, a new RPG wouldn't be out before next year and, as such, the assured shelf life of it would be of just two years. It wouldn't be worth the risk and all the trouble one must face.

I'm also of the idea that the Robotech IP has done its course and that it's about time to disentangle the Macross brand from it. The fact that we can't have the classical Macross series freely available outside of Japan because of Harmony Gold is a pain.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Well, let's just hope Harmony Gold doesn't get to renew their licence in turn, when it will end in 2021.

Source? Not challenging you, I just didn't know that was public info.

I don't think anyone will try to pick up a licence for a Robotech RPG, given such a limited timeframe: even in best case scenario, a new RPG wouldn't be out before next year and, as such, the assured shelf life of it would be of just two years. It wouldn't be worth the risk and all the trouble one must face.

That's a shame, because I'd love a well done Robotech RPG. But that's definitely a good point; it'd be a bad business decision until the rights are assured for quite a few more years.

I'm also of the idea that the Robotech IP has done its course and that it's about time to disentangle the Macross brand from it. The fact that we can't have the classical Macross series freely available outside of Japan because of Harmony Gold is a pain.

I used to be a "Hey, it's not THAT BAD..." guy for way too long, but now I sadly have to agree with you. Once they seemed to get their stuff together to release a new comic series and a new art book by UDON Studios, I was hyped. While the art book is cool, it's still a lot of rehashing of the series recaps and stills (and once again, just the Macross portion of it), and then the comic book...Jeez. What a mess that is. Rewriting all of it (Macross portion again!) to be "more mature" but otherwise not change the story beats is so lame. The fans will never get any sort of closure on Rick's story, but we'll certainly get 7,000 products and revisions that rehash what exists of that story every few years.

I'll only check out the movie it's stellar, but given how lame CGI has been for the past 10 years and how overworked CGI studios are, I'm guessing it'll look pretty weak.

stargazera5

Explorer
While HG certainly hasn't showered itself with glory in respect to many of the things they've done to protect their IP, lets remember that much of the HG/Battletech fight was really minor fallout from the radioactive Charlie Foxtrot that was the Macross IP in Japan, which took the Japanese courts decades to untangle! (ie FASA licensed in good faith what the people they licensed from thought they had the rights to, but legally didn't).

Frankly, I think it's rather sad to see a property like Robotech that could have had so much potential never really be developed into what it could have been.

Remove ads

Remove ads