• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paragon and Epic Multiclass Feats

malcolm_n

Adventurer
To start, this is not a thread for fixed multiclassing. I happen to like the rules presented in the PHB. These are an expanded choice for characters who want another path and a bit more stylization.

[sblock=paragon multiclass feats]
ACOLYTE OF SHADOW [multiclass rogue]
Tier: Paragon
Requirements: Dexterity 15, Sneak of Shadows, at least one power swap feat
Benefit: Choose Brute Scoundrel or Artful Dodger. For one round per encounter, you act as though you have the chosen class feature.

AEGIS WARRIOR [multiclass swordmage]
Requirements: Intelligence 15, Blade Initiate, at least one power swap feat
Benefit: Choose Aegis of Assault or Aegis of Shielding. You can use that class feature once per encounter.

COMMANDER'S PRESENCE [multiclass warlord]
Requirements: Intelligence 15 or Charisma 15, Student of Battle, at least one power swap feat.
Benefit: Choose Inspiring Presence or Tactical Presence. You and your allies benefit from that class feature during any encounter in which you spend an action point (but not before you do).

CURSE INITIATE [multiclass warlock]
Requirements: Charisma 15 or Constitution 15, Pact Initiate, at least one power swap feat
Benefit: You can use the Warlock's Curse class feature once per encounter.

FAITH CHANNELER [multiclass cleric]
Requirements: Wisdom 15, Initiate of the Faith, at least one power swap feat
Benefit: Choose Divine Fortune or Turn Undead. You can use that class feature during any encounter in which you spend an action point. This also qualifies you to take other Channel Divinity feats as normal.

FAITH WARRIOR [multiclass paladin]
Requirements: Strength 15 or Charisma 15, Soldier of Faith, at least one power swap feat
Benefit: Choose Divine Mettle or Divine Strength. You can use that class feature during any encounter in which you spend an action point. This also qualifies you to take other Channel Divinity feats as normal.

IMPLEMENT MASTER [multiclass wizard]
Requirements: Intelligence 15, Arcane Initiate, at least one power swap feat
Benefit: Choose Orb, Staff, or Wand. Once per day you can use the Implement Mastery class feature with that item. This does not allow you to take the Second Implement feat unless you already qualify for it through another source.

SUPERIOR COMBATANT [multiclass fighter]
Requirements: Strength 15, Student of the Sword, at least one power swap feat
Benefit: Once per encounter, an enemy struck by your opportunity attacks stops moving, if a move provoked the attack. If it still has actions remaining, it can use them to resume moving.[/sblock]

[sblock=Epic Multiclass Feat]
MASTER OF TWO WORLDS [multiclass]
Requirements: One paragon multiclass feat
Benefit: Choose a multiclass class feature you know. You can use that feature as if you were a member of that class. For example, a wizard with Sneak of Shadows and Acolyte of Shadow can choose to use Sneak Attack for one attack per round or counts at all times as his choice of Brute Scoundrel or Artful Dodger.[/sblock]

Oh, instead of making another thread, I want to include this here.
[sblock=fighter weapon feat]
WEAPON MASTERY [fighter]
Benefit: After a short rest, choose a weapon you wield. Until you take another short rest or extended rest, that weapon counts as the weapon group of your choice when making attacks. You cannot count a melee weapon as a ranged weapon group, and vice versa, using this feat.[/sblock]

keterys

First Post
I think the epic leap from 'once per encounter' to 'every attack' is a huge leap and should not work as written, especially when you consider being able to overspecialize through multiclassing - like strikers who dip for another extra damage ability, fighters who pick up swordmage aegis, etc.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Even at epic tier, is it still too much to let a class get one full use of another class's feature? How about one additional time per encounter?

MASTER OF TWO WORLDS [multiclass]
Tier: Epic
Requirements: Any paragon multiclass feat
Benefit: You can use a multiclass feature you know once per encounter instead of by any other means. If you could already use it once per encounter, you can now use it twice per encounter.

It's a little more clunky, but may be better balanced.

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
It's a pretty straightforward problem - no matter what you do, the answer to 'Being a better <primary class>' should never be 'multiclass into <second class>' and stacking benefits pretty much always result in that.

It'd probably be fine for anyone who has taken paragon multiclassing for a role other than their own, though, since you ask. (all the time)

A second time per encounter is probably fine, compared to other feat options.

I like your paragon tier feats fine, though.

keterys

First Post
Heh, hanging in there. I lost almost all of my free time for like a month which was very trying.

Game-wise, I'm wrapping up my last 3.5 game (3-ish year long campaign) this weekend and I'm looking forward to retiring all those books. I've got a ton of monster work to do, grading powers to do, and I'm DMing ~4 games with some regularity (bit over 2 a week) which is probably insane, but I've got serious 4e fever.

Which, frankly, is awesome. I love being hyped about a game system. Now I just need to not have work to do. Maybe there's government funding to subsidize gamers so they can game more? I'll have to look that one up.

Exen Trik

First Post
COMMANDER'S PRESENCE [multiclass warlord]
Requirements: Intelligence 15 or Charisma 15, Student of Battle, at least one power swap feat.
Benefit: Choose Inspiring Presence or Tactical Presence. You and your allies benefit from that class feature during any encounter in which you spend an action point (but not before you do).
Powers that activate after action points are used is an interesting idea. I see how it would be necessary to let the benefits to allys action point use last the entire encounter, but it also allows the secondary effects of that class feature on warlord powers. Probably not terribly unbalancing, but it seems a more significant boost than the other feats, especially the rogues.

FAITH CHANNELER [multiclass cleric]
Requirements: Wisdom 15, Initiate of the Faith, at least one power swap feat
Benefit: Choose Divine Fortune or Turn Undead. You can use that class feature during any encounter in which you spend an action point. This also qualifies you to take other Channel Divinity feats as normal.

FAITH WARRIOR [multiclass paladin]
Requirements: Strength 15 or Charisma 15, Soldier of Faith, at least one power swap feat
Benefit: Choose Divine Mettle or Divine Strength. You can use that class feature during any encounter in which you spend an action point. This also qualifies you to take other Channel Divinity feats as normal.
If you use the variant to Master of Two Worlds that lets you use the per encounter ability twice, that means a character that multiclasses into paladin could use channel divinity more often in one combat than a pure paladin or cleric could, which seems odd.

If these two were daily, the MoTW could simply grant another use of it, with the stipulation that daily benefits can't be used more than once per encounter.

CURSE INITIATE [multiclass warlock]
Requirements: Charisma 15 or Constitution 15, Pact Initiate, at least one power swap feat
Benefit: You can use the Warlock's Curse class feature once per encounter.
Another strong one since you can do extra damage to the enemy every round, especially when paired with another striker class feature. Blows the rogue and ranger multiclass features right out of the water, although granted they aren't paragon.

I think getting the extra damage only once per curse is a fairly balanced, along with getting the benefit of the pact boon.

IMPLEMENT MASTER [multiclass wizard]
Requirements: Intelligence 15, Arcane Initiate, at least one power swap feat
Benefit: Choose Orb, Staff, or Wand. Once per day you can use the Implement Mastery class feature with that item. This does not allow you to take the Second Implement feat unless you already qualify for it through another source.
You could change the wording to something like "gain the encounter abilities once per day and the constant effects once per encounter" so the staff AC bonus (and any new implements with constant effects that come out in the future) can see some use as well.

And instead of calling out Second Implement as an exception, I suggest to either have a rule that it does not count as implement mastery for the requirements of other feats and paragon classes, or that it does but with the same limit on how often you can use it's benefits

SUPERIOR COMBATANT [multiclass fighter]
Requirements: Strength 15, Student of the Sword, at least one power swap feat
Benefit: Once per encounter, an enemy struck by your opportunity attacks stops moving, if a move provoked the attack. If it still has actions remaining, it can use them to resume moving.
A little on the weak side, compared to the others. Might as well throw in the wisdom bonus to the attack, for the whole combat superiority effect.

Which, frankly, is awesome. I love being hyped about a game system. Now I just need to not have work to do. Maybe there's government funding to subsidize gamers so they can game more? I'll have to look that one up.

Well, the UK had the [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w]Ministry of Silly Walks[/ame], but that budget had been cut below that of the military, so I wouldn't hope for much in that regard. Most governments seem to be inable to keep their priorities straight.

keterys

First Post
If you use the variant to Master of Two Worlds that lets you use the per encounter ability twice, that means a character that multiclasses into paladin could use channel divinity more often in one combat than a pure paladin or cleric could, which seems odd.

Only odd if you don't provide a feat method for a cleric or paladin to do it...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads