• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paragon - extra at will

DreamChaser

Explorer
How broken is this idea...I'm toying with a couple of implementations:

Multiclass Versatility (paragon)
Prereq: 11+ level, Any multiclass feat, any power swap feet
Benefit: Choose one at will power from your additional class; you can use this power as an at-will power.

OR / AND

Versatile Hero (paragon)
Prereq: 11+ level
Benefit: Choose an at-will power that you do not know from your class list; you learn this at will power and can use it at will.

I'm of two minds on this idea. First, there is no increase in resource value because there is no limitation on at wills: you can just use them. If you have more options, you simply become a bit more versatile. Unlike the other powers where an additional power becomes a measurable increase in power.

Also, can't be TOO valuable or humans wouldn't get it for free.

On the other hand, it is a whole power for a single feat.

Help me pull together the pros / cons...thanks

DC

Cadfan

First Post
In terms of straight power level, it won't change much, because the action economy prevents you from abusing at wills too much, and because every character class has at least one good default at will attack power already that they'd do just fine with if they couldn't use this feat to pick up a new one. In fact, in terms of power balance, the only real worry I'd have would be rogues using the ranger's twin strike. This would dramatically increase the rogue's accuracy and therefore the rogue's chance of getting sneak attack damage. And since a rogue already wields one handed weapons, and doesn't use the off hand for much of anything, there's no real trade off like there would be with another class.

Other than that, your biggest danger is in diluting party roles.

DreamChaser

Explorer
So then you foresee the first one being the greater issue than the second?

Would the first be more feasible if it were a reward for focusing on the M/C...so they need to take all three power swap feats to qualify?

DC

Kisanji Arael

First Post
I really like the second one. It doesn't look broken at all, and it just makes me think, "It's about damn time!"

I mean, it's paragon tier. By that point, you're probably just wanting your at-will powers for the secondary effects. Or you're a ranger who's been in battle for a while.

Remove ads