• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paragon Path names revealed by Jonathan Tweet!

Voss

First Post
DandD said:
So, do you automatically get a paragon path/are forced to take one, or could you stay a fighter the whole time? How does the new "prestige class"-system work in D&D 4th edition?

Thats an interesting question. Also- if you can 'opt out' are you a gimp if you do?

ppaladin123

Adventurer
DandD said:
So, do you automatically get a paragon path/are forced to take one, or could you stay a fighter the whole time? How does the new "prestige class"-system work in D&D 4th edition?

As far as we know you don't give up anything for taking a paragon path...it is just part of the character progression. Your fighter wouldn't lose any fighter ability progression, he'd just get the stuff from the paragon path stacked on top of it. This means the only "cost" of a paragon path is the opportunity cost of choosing one instead of another.

As for the names...not that great but not particularly bad either. For every name I liked in 3.5 (e.g. "fist of raziel") there were two or three I didn't (e.g. hand of the winged masters, greenstar adept, etc.) I figure it will be the same in 4e.

Abstraction

First Post
This has been answered before by the designers. You will continue to advance in you base class plus get a paragon path. So it is all win, never any reason not to take it. If you continue to select all you powers and whatnot from your base class, you might not actually get much mechanically from your paragon path so that is kinda like an opt-out.

Revinor

First Post
DandD said:

You DO stay the fighter all the time. Paragon paths are in addition to your core class, you still stay a fighter in background.

What I'm not sure about is if epic destiny is 3rd parallel class, or it replaces paragon path.

Wulfram

First Post
CleverNickName said:
I admit it...when I first read the title of this thread, I thought, "New names, eh? I bet they are lame." Lo, I was only half right.

In my humble opinion:

Clearly the ranger has the best paragon path name. And clearly, the paladin has the worst. Everything else falls in the middle.

You like the ranger :confused: To me, that's easily the worse. I mean, if I'm becoming a Battle Archer now, what on earth have I been for the last 10 levels, when I've been shooting arrows at things during battle? Battle Archer sounds like a description of an NPC grunt soldier to me.

Astral Weapon, on the other hand, seems like something which could be distinctly cool, given the right fluff.

Masquerade

First Post
With regard to names, I love astral weapon and iron vanguard. The others don't really bother me, but I would prefer evocative names over descriptive-but-obvious ones.

The idea of required paragon paths is something I've been on the fence about, but since (a) I plan to play mainly the heroic tier anyway and (b) there are sure to be many, many new paths added in supplements, I don't expect I'll have a problem with it in the long run.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads