• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paragon Path names revealed by Jonathan Tweet!

Dausuul

Legend
bording said:
wizard/spellstorm mage
Meh. Sounds entirely too much like "let's pick some exciting but unrelated words and jam them together." Might be cool if it actually has anything to do with storms, but I bet it doesn't.

bording said:
fighter/iron vanguard
Okay, this one is solid. In fact, this one is very solid. It's actually evocative, instead of just a lame attempt to sound evocative. (The key to being evocative is to realize that you have to actually evoke something.) It conveys a clear sense of a super-tough warrior who leads the charge and smashes through enemy ranks.

bording said:
ranger/battle archer
Yet another prestige class paragon path falls victim to WotC's obsessive need to preface every noun with "battle" or "war."

bording said:
warlord/battle captain
See previous. Times two.

bording said:
paladin/astral weapon
Astral... weapon? Okay, "astral" is fine so long as they actually do have something to do with the Astral Sea, but "weapon?" How generic can you get? Call them "astral harbingers" or "astral seekers" or something.

Last edited:

MaelStorm

First Post
Tarril Wolfeye said:
Here's the list:

Vigilant Defender (Fighter and ?)

Arcane Archer

Veiled Assassin

Battle Captain (again)

Mystic Theurge

Weapon Master

Prince of Knaves

Cavalier

It also says there will be twelve paragon paths. If the names were kept, we've got all of them. :)
These are interesting, even inspiring. I might just houserule the name for Astral Weapon into something else.

Dacileva

Explorer
Dausuul said:
Meh. Sounds entirely too much like "let's pick some exciting but unrelated words and jam them together." Might be cool if it actually has anything to do with storms, but I bet it doesn't.
The blog mentions "master of cold and lightning" for this character. That's close enough to storms for me to be fine with the name.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Andor said:
Prince of Knaves? Isn't that about like "Lord of Scum?" "Thug Boss" maybe?

And I realize we're down playing alignment but should assasin really be one of a mere dozen character options in the first PHB? Talk about drifting from the games heroic roots....
On the first matter, I am about 60% sure that "Prince of Knaves" is designed to be reminiscent of some of the titles given to Robin Hood, and this is probably the Robin Hood path.

I don't really have a problem with Assassins as a character option, myself.

Rechan

Adventurer
Look on the bright side. They COULD have went with these names:

Arcane Archer - Lame. MagicUser Bowguy would've been better.
Assassin - Can you be any more generic and unflavorful?
Blackguard - What are you doing, guarding goth kids? Are you a guard wearing black? Dumb.
Hierophant - WotC pushing their setting onto me. What if my churches don't HAVE Hierophants? What if they ahve POPES, huh? HUH?
Mystic Theurge - What huh? This doesn't tell me ANYTHING about the class!! Useless words slammed together.
Shadowdancer - Yes, dancing in the dark is very menacing. Look out, Michael Flatley in Candlelight! Besides, what if my character doesn't dance? What if he has a limp? Or, being white, has no rhythm? WotC is forcing me to dance.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Dausuul said:
Astral... weapon? Okay, "astral" is fine so long as they actually do have something to do with the Astral Sea, but "weapon?" How generic can you get?
Generic perhaps, but I relate that to the Mel Gibson film franchise Lethal Weapon.

IOW, the character is a living weapon of the deity or pantheon that ordained him.

And if this path is not limited to martial-type deities (like war gods), I don't know if I like to be called "Astral Dirk" for worshipping Forgotten Realms' Mask (God of Thieves).

Heheh. "Astral Dirk Diggler." :]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads