• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paragon Sorcerer advice

scarik

First Post
I would suggest seriously considering Daggermaster as a paragon path for a Sorcerer. Hard to beat critting on 18-20 with all your powers, and Sneak of Shadows gives you some extra damage once an encounter as well.

The Powers are pretty weak for you though given that you'll have no dex.

Regardless make sure to take Draconic Spellcaster.

Theroc

First Post
I don't intend on going pure melee with my Sorceror, so I'm not really digging a rogue MC, especially since I'm not a Chaos Sorcerer.

For those of you suggesting feats and items and such outside of the PHB and PHB2, could you give me a little writeup of the feats in some form or another? As without that I cannot use it.

Mentat55

First Post
Another, non-dragonborn option for a cold-focused sorcerer (assuming you do not want to use a frost dagger all the time) is a shadar-kai chaos sorcerer with the feat Darkwinter Wild Soul (Dragon Annual 2009), which lets a shadar-kai with the Wild Magic source choose resist cold or resist necrotic instead of rolling. You could always choose cold -- then you could ensure that you are always punching through cold resistance.

Then you could think about other PP, like the aforementioned Daggermaster rogue MC, or Arcane Wellspring (which keys off your Wild Soul resistance).

Theroc

First Post
What is Draconic Spellcaster, and where can I find it. I need the details on it before I can use it or decide whether or not I want to use it.

abyssaldeath

First Post
What is Draconic Spellcaster, and where can I find it. I need the details on it before I can use it or decide whether or not I want to use it.

It is a Dragonborn arcane class feat from AP. It gives +1, +2(15th lvl), +3(25th lvl)feat bonus to attack rolls to any arcane power that deals the same type of damage as you breath weapon.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
It is a Dragonborn arcane class feat from AP. It gives +1, +2(15th lvl), +3(25th lvl)feat bonus to attack rolls to any arcane power that deals the same type of damage as you breath weapon.
... and since it stacks with Expertise, it projects deep into ZOMG TEH BROKENZ territory by 11th level.

Cheers, -- N

Turtlejay

First Post
... and since it stacks with Expertise, it projects deep into ZOMG TEH BROKENZ territory by 11th level.

Cheers, -- N

. . if you take expertise too, or if it is even allowed in your campaign.

Jay

PS - figured a FIFY would be a bit too snarky, hope this is as bland an inoffensive as i usually am

Theroc

First Post
Wow. +6 attack bonus at level 25. This definitely wouldn't be a build to miss with often later in the game. +6 to attack on the first attack, +8 on subsequent hits (Due to Wintertouched). That doesn't include ability modifiers. Sheesh.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
. . if you take expertise too, or if it is even allowed in your campaign.

Jay

PS - figured a FIFY would be a bit too snarky, hope this is as bland an inoffensive as i usually am
The only thing offensive about your post is the insult to the intelligence of anyone who is smart enough to consider taking the Dragonborn feat. If you think that person is too dumb to realize the benefits of Expertise, you're doing him a disservice.

If Expertise is banned or not is irrelevant -- either the DM is compensating for Expertise (in which case this feat is overpowered relative to all other PCs), or the DM isn't compensating for Expertise (in which case this feat is overpowered relative to all other PCs). In either case, this feat is overpowered.

Cheers, -- N

ricardo440

First Post
I've been playing a character (started at level 11) that seems very similar to the one you are building

Code:
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Trialus2, level 13
Dragonborn, Sorcerer, Essence Mage
Spell Source: Dragon Magic
Dragon Soul: Dragon Soul Cold
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Cold
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Cold
Arcane Admixture Power: Burning Spray

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 11, Wis 9, Cha 22.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 17.

AC: 26 Fort: 23 Reflex: 21 Will: 26
HP: 83 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +11, Athletics +16, Diplomacy +17, Intimidate +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Bluff +12, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +6, Heal +5, History +8, Insight +5, Nature +5, Perception +5, Religion +6, Stealth +8, Streetwise +12, Thievery +8

FEATS
Level 1: Implement Expertise (staff)
Level 2: Draconic Spellcaster
Level 4: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 6: Reaper's Touch
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Staff)
Level 10: Armor Proficiency (Leather)
Level 11: Lasting Frost
Level 12: Arcane Admixture

POWERS
Sorcerer at-will 1: Burning Spray
Sorcerer at-will 1: Dragonfrost
Sorcerer encounter 1: Ray of the Moon
Sorcerer daily 1: Ice Javelins
Sorcerer utility 2: Spatial Trip
Sorcerer encounter 3: Ice Dragon's Teeth
Sorcerer daily 5: Glacial Armor
Sorcerer utility 6: Sudden Scales
Sorcerer encounter 7: Rimestorm
Sorcerer daily 9: Ice Stalagmites
Sorcerer utility 10: Fog Form
Sorcerer encounter 13: Primordial Storm (replaces Ray of the Moon)

ITEMS
Periapt of Cascading Health +2, Magic Dagger +2, Drowmesh of Resistance +3, Magic Staff +3, Adventurer's Kit, Potion of Healing (heroic tier) (4), Potion of Clarity (level 10) (4), Skull Mask (heroic tier), Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier), Climber's Kit, Arcane Signet Ring, Sunrod (4), Staff of Winter +3, Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor (paragon tier), Ring of the Radiant Storm (paragon tier), War Ring (paragon tier), Alliance Band (paragon tier), Ring of Protection (paragon tier), Belt of Fiends (paragon tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

I have reapers touch because I selected it before they fixed it to be shadai-ka only (which it was clearly meant to be) and my GM allowed it to stand. Not the most useful of feats, but fun. Also allows me to CHARGE!!!

The Rings + belt are not all mine, They are the parties. I was just printing out the cards.

I like multiple damage stuff, but everything does cold as well. The Ring of Radiant storm is mine now so I was thinking of adding Lightning or Radiant to Dragonfrost.

This character works really well and is fun to play. Its damage is very high compared with the other party members. It is a flat +20 bonus to damage makes AoE really powerful.

Remove ads