• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paragons of Fey Valor

bargle0

First Post
Thanks for the extensive thought you put into your post, bargle0.

If the daily powers had a "Special" line increasing the bonus at, say, 25th level (halfway through its career), would that cover your worries?

In part, yes. However, I'd just stick with the existing attribute+9 precedent for level 20 PP dailies.

mneme

Explorer
Peter pan is a flying swashbuckler powered by fey magic. What's not to like?

Regarding the D20 static bonus powers (now that's an unfortunate description), I think the appropriate scaling would be either +9 (make it comparable to some other static +9 powers) or Stat+7 (maybe +6) at 20, scaling to Stat+9 at 25. As described, +6 is the "expected" stat add at level 20. This jumps to +8 by level 22 or so (+1 from expertise, +1 from implement) and +9 around 25th-28th level, so scaling up at 25th makes sense.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
While I can't change anything, please write to WotC with your feedback on these PPs (and everything else, for that matter). If enough people think they merit a quick adjustment, I'm sure they can make it happen.

Matt James

Game Developer
Question when using the numerical scale of that chart. Doesn't that leave only a fixed number of variables and lead to cookie-cutter outcomes?

if the 55% hit rate you cite is correct, why not roll percentile every time you attack. If you get 55 or below, you hit.

Neverfate

First Post
Question when using the numerical scale of that chart. Doesn't that leave only a fixed number of variables and lead to cookie-cutter outcomes?

if the 55% hit rate you cite is correct, why not roll percentile every time you attack. If you get 55 or below, you hit.

Well to some degree there will be variations for better or worse, but there should be a target. It would be sloppy game design if there wasn't at least some system in place or you'd end up with 5% or 95% hit rates.

Also, while it might mathematically make sense to use percentile. This is D&D. Famed for D20s You can't remove that iconic feature.

As for the article itself there's a lot of great fluff here, but the mechanics just aren't all that useful. The mount PP is useful for those finally looking for a scaling mount. Other than that there are better, less situational options in paragon now. Still a fun read, but I don't see some of these getting much use.

Much use by those who study PPs in depth and pick them on the basis of what for 99% of players are minor and even obscure mechanical reasons, probably true. OTOH the vast majority of players I know will pick their PP's based on fluff. IME players usually mill through the choices and pick a few likely possibilities and then perhaps, depending on the player, look at the mechanics to at least make sure the PP will work with their character.

I think what I see for crunch coming out of WotC, especially more as time goes on now, is not aimed at or even meant to really interest players who are going to insist on ever more potent combinations of options. It is designed strictly with the intent of appealing to the average player that is into creating a cool story for their character and needs some nice fluff and will want powers that work reasonably and aren't noticeably inferior. I also think they spend a LOT of time looking at the fluff/story aspect of things and there simply isn't the time or eyeballs to mill through 300+ other PPs and determine that there's one that gives a +9 for a similar effect vs the +6 this one has. There is simply no way content can be produced at an affordable price like that. Nor, clearly, is everyone even agreed on what is the exact baseline for comparison.

D'karr

Adventurer
Much use by those who study PPs in depth and pick them on the basis of what for 99% of players are minor and even obscure mechanical reasons, probably true. OTOH the vast majority of players I know will pick their PP's based on fluff. IME players usually mill through the choices and pick a few likely possibilities and then perhaps, depending on the player, look at the mechanics to at least make sure the PP will work with their character.

I think what I see for crunch coming out of WotC, especially more as time goes on now, is not aimed at or even meant to really interest players who are going to insist on ever more potent combinations of options. It is designed strictly with the intent of appealing to the average player that is into creating a cool story for their character and needs some nice fluff and will want powers that work reasonably and aren't noticeably inferior. I also think they spend a LOT of time looking at the fluff/story aspect of things and there simply isn't the time or eyeballs to mill through 300+ other PPs and determine that there's one that gives a +9 for a similar effect vs the +6 this one has. There is simply no way content can be produced at an affordable price like that. Nor, clearly, is everyone even agreed on what is the exact baseline for comparison.

I would prefer if they keep writing things for the average player. My experience is similar to you. Most of the players end up choosing options based on their perception of what is interesting, and "cool". Not necesarily the option that is on the mechanical bleeding edge.

Klaus

First Post

I'd XP you, but I can't yet.

I'd rather write flavorful PPs that are strictly "black" (to use a CharOp parlance) than a boring PP filled with "sky blue" powers.

D'karr

Adventurer
I'd XP you, but I can't yet.

I'd rather write flavorful PPs that are strictly "black" (to use a CharOp parlance) than a boring PP filled with "sky blue" powers.

Got you covered on the XP.

And I agree, too much emphasis is placed on optimization. I prefer good inspiring flavor, and if it's the most optimized power that's a bonus, but I hardly ever look at powers for their optimized mechanical effects.

Remove ads