• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paralyzing an Undead: [Never Mind - Answered!]

Demmero

Explorer
In the Monster Manual appendix, the Undead listing states that undead universally are immune to paralysis. So....

...What happens when an undead meets a Trumpet Archon (MM/18) that blows its trumpet? That entry states that "All creatures except archons within 100 feet of the blast must succeed on a DC 19 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1d4 rounds."

Seems that since undead are not archons, they'd be vulnerable to the paralysis...unless the entry is poorly worded and should read "All living creatures except archons...."

For story reasons, I think I'm going to allow undead to be paralyzed by archon trumpeting, but I'm interested in seeing if there's consensus in this matter in the EN World community.

So...can a trumpet archon paralyze an undead being?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Incenjucar

Legend
Demmero said:
In the Monster Manual appendix, the Undead listing states that undead universally are immune to paralysis. So....

...What happens when an undead meets a Trumpet Archon (MM/18) that blows its trumpet? That entry states that "All creatures except archons within 100 feet of the blast must succeed on a DC 19 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1d4 rounds."

Seems that since undead are not archons, they'd be vulnerable to the paralysis...unless the entry is poorly worded and should read "All living creatures except archons...."

For story reasons, I think I'm going to allow undead to be paralyzed by archon trumpeting, but I'm interested in seeing if there's consensus in this matter in the EN World community.

So...can a trumpet archon paralyze an undead being?

Thanks in advance!

There could be undead who are not immune to paralysis, so that's not the way to word it, and constructs aren't really "alive" per say.

However, undead are, for the most part, immune to paralysis, so unless it has a line that says "even creatures normally immune," immune is immune.

Demmero

Explorer
Incenjucar said:
There could be undead who are not immune to paralysis, so that's not the way to word it, and constructs aren't really "alive" per say.

However, undead are, for the most part, immune to paralysis, so unless it has a line that says "even creatures normally immune," immune is immune.

Thanks Incenjucar! I've actually since answered my own question--undead are also immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless--neither of which applies to an archon's trumpet blast).

So...immune it is!!

Remove ads