• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paramount wants Modern John Carter

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
John Carter was a pulp hero and I think that should stay the same, can that be captured with a modern world? Maybe, but I have to worry and wonder what they define as modern?

TheBadElf

First Post
I'm a huge fan of the John Carter novels, and this really doesn't bother me at all. The Civil War background was a minor (although interesting) part of the character's background; his background as a fighting man could be established just as well by making him a veteran of some more recent war with swordplay as a hobby.

I'd prefer to see the movie stick with the opriginal background, but if they simply must change something this is fairly harmless. As long as Carter is still a bold adventurer with quick wits and a flashing blade, Dejah Thoris is smokin' hot beautiful and the action is properly mile-a-minute I suspect I'll enjoy it.

Ah, Dejah Thoris...one of my earliest fictional-character crushes... :)

Silver Moon

Adventurer
I have to agree, the "Civil War Era" aspect was but a minor part of the story. I run two campaigns set in the post Civil-war era Chiricahua Mountains of Arizona, and originally through to tie the John Carter novels into them having remembered that they started there. Upon rereading Princess of Mars I was disappointed in how little of it took place with him while he was still on Earth, just a part of Chapter One. So I think that an updated version of the character would work given that most of the movie will be set on Mars as well.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I'd like 'em to keep the Civil War setting, but eh, not a big deal.

Make him an ex-vet redneck with a thing for wilderness survival and swordplay and you you've got yourself a modern Carter.

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
Don't kill me. Who is John Carter? He's a doctor on ER right? Ok that last one was a joke.

Gidien

First Post
John Carter of Mars is the main hero of Edgar Ric Burrough's Mars series (ERB also created Tarzan, among others). He is originally an earthling who is mysteriously transported to Mars. Because the gravity of Mars is smaller than Earth, he has super strenght and basically trashes all comers and becomes the greatest swordsman/warrior/general/prince/etc of the planet. Great series. A must read for any scifi fan.

Gentlegamer said:
As long as they can keep John Carter a Virginia gentleman, his essense can be preserved.
I always wondered how it would have turned out if Robert Rodriquez had made the movie after all, as was planned at one point. John Carter could have become Juan Carlos -- veteran of the Mexican Revolution, former friend of Pancho Villa and a perfect Chihuahua gentleman...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads