• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Parents Neglect - D&D named.....

JBowtie

First Post
Since my wife is a psychology major, I'll pipe in on the addictive quality.

Firstly, massively multiplayer games (MMOs) are designed to be addictive. The designers want you to keep paying them every month, so they need to get you deeply immersed in the game. If you keep an eye on game development journals you'll see studies mentioned. The reward system in WoW is much like a video poker machine - you mostly get worthless junk, frequently get semi-valuable stuff, and every so often get epic or rares. The little wins reward you for sticking around waiting for the big payout. Then of course you have a new shiny item to play with...

Random reinforcement is extremely strong - if a rat gets randomly rewarded by pressing a lever, and then the lever stops paying out, it will keep pressing it for a very long time.

Second, video games also keep your attention in the same way TV does; your brain is literally subverted into paying attention due to the social cues. That is why TV and games can soak up so much of your time; part of your brain actually believes you're involved in a meaningful conversation.

When you combine these two effects, it poses a very real danger to vulnerable personalities. It *is* going to get worse - increasing realism tricks your brain into paying attention while better design keeps you playing longer and longer.

FickleGM

Explorer
Dragon-Slayer said:
Back on topic, we need to get stories out there that put a positive spin on our hobby. Thanks to Mr. Gygax I played AD&D which expanded my vocabulary, helped me to learn to work well with others and socialize and stay off of drugs through my teenage years and I am sure I am not the only one who has seen some benefit from gaming.

While it doesn't hurt to get positive stories out there, they aren't read as much as negative or near-negative stories. Bad news gets headlines. So, what we need is for D&D to be the hero in an averted disaster story.

• D&D Saves Woman's Life
  • D&D Stops Terrorist Plot
  • D&D Rescues Boy From Mountain Lion
  • D&D Thwarts Bank Robbers

Stuff like that. Now get to it guys, our hobby depends on you...

Last edited:

sirwmholder

First Post
TheCrazyMuffinMan said:
It is a symptom of a deeper problem. It looks like the two in question are either stupidly oblivious or indifferent to the life changes inherent in a family, and it manifested in a rather disgusting way. Shame on them both.

The fact that TEH GAMEZ are supposedly involved (and implicated in the minds of some) doesn't help matters, even if it's VERY trivial compared to the grave situation of the kids' deaths and the REAL reason for it: The irresponsibility of the parents.
QFT

/rant
If people would just take responsibility for their own actions and be held accountable for said actions most of the problems we face would be null and void. Making excuses for these people will only continue to degrade what little bit of self reliance we can claim. Before long everyone will need a supervisor or councilor for every aspect of their lives. We will be told their are no well adjusted people and people are incapable of controlling their actions... wait that's going on now...
/rant off

Sorry... this just pisses me off...
WIlliam Holder

zen_hydra

First Post
It always warms my heart to hear about people taking their children for granted. :confused:

I don't think it is too draconian to implement the sterilization of people convicted of felony child-abuse/neglect.

If there was any justice in this life, people capable of this kind of behavior would be the same idiots that set off fireworks in their own laps.

Talath

Explorer
Steel_Wind said:
It's possible I suppose. I took the phrase to mean D&D Online.

But no one plays DDO. We have WoW, and back in my day, we didn't even have that. You kids and your taurens and warlocks and blackfathom deeps. We had to walk twenty miles in the snow - both ways - just so we could get to the newbie dungeon to kill rats and get rat meat so that we could sell back at town to buy newbie equipment - and we liked it that way!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads